LF+12+/Mission Pedal

• Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response. Do most of these features come preprogrammed to work with the Kemper or is there some setup required (I have limited abilities ... just programming the roland stuff with standard midi stuff bumped up against my skill set!)?

• The LF will definitely require you to do some setup and programming. It comes with an auto wizard that really helps get you going, so it tells the LF that you are working with a KPA, what midi channel to use, will allocate all of the stomp and FX slots to individual IA buttons, setup the tuner, etc. You can then tell it to pull in the first 50-100 or however many presets you want it to pull out of the KPA. This will get you up and running in a very basic manner.

Then it's up to you to tell the LF how you want to operate. This is where I think most people get confused or frustrated because we're used to boards telling us how to work, the tuner has to be here, when you push this button only this one thing can happen etc. some will see this as a blessing others as a curse :). With the LF you are in total control of what goes where, what it does when you push a button, you can have multiple things happen when you push a button like a string of commands, or you can set a button to step through 5 commands but only one command at a time, etc. it's pretty powerful.

I was eagerly waiting for the KPA foot controller like many people are today. The LF is not cheap so I had to talk myself into getting one, but figured if I didn't like it or the KPA version came out later and rocked, then I could sell the LF. Now that I have the LF, I can't imagine me getting rid of it. As long as the Kemper team keeps things controllable with midi commands and standard protocols, then this controller should last me a lifetime and still gives me the ability to make it work how I want it to work. I can't expect the Kemper team to put out a controller that will make everyone happy about the layout, where buttons go, what controls what, so why not control that myself?

Just my two cents.

Sean

• Thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed response. Do most of these features come preprogrammed to work with the Kemper or is there some setup required (I have limited abilities ... just programming the roland stuff with standard midi stuff bumped up against my skill set!)?

Refer to joptunes answer - in a nutshell yes a lot of this is auto-programable with the auto wizard but the intricacies require some user input - I would be happy to help you out and I'm sure Sean would too. The email support from LF is also pretty good.

It sounds like you have your roland working fairly good though?

• Yep, spent a couple hours on the phone today helping a new LF-KPA owner get up and running. Just like any new piece of gear, takes a little time to get your head wrapped around stuff. Let us know if you go that direction and need any help.

Sean

• I'm glad this thread came back to the top....I have question for the current users of liquid foot midi systems:
    I have the liquid foot+ mini and have been working for some time getting it set up with the kpa. I am starting to get a grasp on how the infrastructure works but with my particular set up I have ran into some confusion. I want to set up my first page with 4 buttons that control the kpa and 4 buttons that control my tchelicon voicelive play gtx (I realize i can get very complex setups but I'm trying to keep it simple to start with until I get the hang of the editor). So I used the sync wizard with the kpa in performance mode. I got the IA's tuner and all programmed. So my goal is to have a "Preset' on button one that changes the Kpa and a different preset on button 5 that changes the vocal pedal. All of this housed on one page. But when I set button 1 for a preset it also changes the vocal pedal. How do I get the preset to only send to one device? and if I use say preset 50 for the vocal and get it "unattached" to the kpa will that kill one of my kemper presets. I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the two devices working independently. I think I need to do it in the preset section but I'm wondering if I do that if it will keep me from being able to use one of the performance slots. If so I need to plan accordingly before setting up.
    I hope I have made some type of sense here. Thanks for any help.

• Do you have the KPA and the helicon set to receive midi messages on two different channels? Sounds like they may be the same or set to omni which would use all 16 channels. You need each set separately so you can send unique messages to each device.

In your global parameters page 1, you should have an entry for each device and tell the LF which midi channel to use for each one.

It's possible to do what you describe, and pretty straight forward once you get the devices communicating with the LF.

Let us know if that helps.

Sean

• I have set them for two separate devices on the global page but not sure I did this correctly or how it knows that I am referring to the vocal pedal because I just gave it a generic name "TCHEL". There wasn't the option like the kemper had. I have went through the manual but it is more concentrated to editing from the pedal and I think that I will have an easier time understanding the editor. I might have found my issue though after reading your Post:
    Under the preset menu there is a section called "Command Programming". It has 4 columns- Function, midi, cmd, and pc#. So am i right in saying that I can put the tchel in the midi command and use a defined program change number for the buttons that I want to control the vocal pedal and do the opposite for the presets that I want to control the kpa?

If this is so, my only concern is that each of these presets has a tye to a particular block in the performance mode and if i wipe the kemper out of the preset then I might not be able to access that block. If that is the case I will just use a preset that pertains to a block in one of the last performances on the kpa and put my vocals there. Does this sound correct to you?

I will try this method when I get a chance to pull my gear out.

• You are on the right track. When you add in tchel into the global page 1 and assign it to the correct midi channel, tchel should show up in the drop down boxes for the preset programming.

In the command programming box you can enter multiple lines of what you want to have happen when you trigger a preset. So use midi command in the function box, then the midi box is a drop down menu. The tchel should show up there once you define it in the global page. Then enter in a program change or whatever you want the tchel to do at that time.

Then add in the same type of lines for other devices like the KPA. You shouldn't have to wipe anything out. You can have a long string of commands or actions take place with a single button click.

I just added it in quickly to my file and verified that it show up in the drop down menu.

Sean

• @Joptunes...Thanks for helping me through this. I might be message again if I run into any other issues. I think where I was getting confused is that the presets on the liquid foot had been auto programmed(by me) with the kpa to show each of the performances. So if i wanted to put in a vocal command without the kpa receiving any messages it would mean that I had to skip a slot in the performance. I have decided to only auto program the first few performances and then manually program the vocal stuff that way i don't skip over any slots in the performance. Not sure if this makes sense but might be helpful for anyone trying to use the liquid foot in this manner. Thanks again for your help.

• No problem on messaging.

If you're using performance mode and wanting changes that tell the TC to do something, but not to the KPA, you need to have the LF be the master controller and ignore the slots in the KPA. Or you end up building multiple slots in the KPA that are redundant so when you send the command the only real change is the TC. Not sure you want to go this route as there may be a slight audio dropout in the KPA when you switch from 1 slot to another with identical sounds in the slots. I haven't tried this to verify what happens, but something to consider.

Sounds like it may come down to a mapping exercise and what you're most comfortable doing. Let the LF be the master mapper and you have 24 presets per song and don't worry about the 5 slots on the KPA. Or try to keep both of them mirrored and use only 5 settings per song and the midi commands line up 1 for 1.

Hope that makes sense.

Sean

• Still waiting for my JR + ...my order date was Nov 1, 2013. It got
    delivered to the wrong address Friday. I could go on and on but this
    pretty much sums up the customer service so far... X(

• Thanks Sean - I've seen you've really been digging into the unit and are very generous with your knowledge! I'm planning on using the Jr+, at least initially, to actually streamline my live switching - really just using it as a nexus for 3 expression pedals; delay level, volume and a mission for wah wah. - since I tend to just use one profile - no more tap dancing!

It is dismaying that a company that can come up with such a versatile and complex unit can be stumped by such simple questions as "can you ship it here please" and "does it come with a power supply"... ?(

• Yeah, a lot of times skills and talents for designing and making great products doesn't always mean they'll be good at the execution and delivery of a product. Especially in any kind of bulk numbers. Great ideas and products still need to be available, supported, delivered, etc.

I tend to stay on a single rig or amp for any given song so not a lot of tap dancing during a song, that's why I focused on step commands and other controls to modify rigs on the fly.

Sean

• I am having a heck of a time getting profile names to sync correctly!! I had them working yesterday but today they are off again? I am making other progress though, have a page of song names and a page with the stomps that they jump to, have it changing kemper patches and voicelive 2 patches based on the song selected.

A couple of questions, if I switch patches on the kemper, should it also change patches on the liquid foot? Also, do I need to assign each patch on the kemper a midi #, I am currently using it in browse mode, a few of the rigs have a midi number assigned back from when I toyed with Performance Mode.

• Switching patches on the Kemper will not reflect on the LF.
    You need to assign a MIDI # to any rig you want the LF programming to bring in, even if you do it manually.

• Also, keep in mind that the midi # assignments between Browse mode and Performance mode are completely different.

• I am having a heck of a time getting profile names to sync correctly!! I had them working yesterday but today they are off again?

I had this issue as well. Things that minimized the synching issues (at least for me) are:
    - Make sure, you have the latest firmware for the LF+; there had been an updated recently addressing synching issues with KPA
    - Use shorter MIDI cables. I did use cables of 10 meter length. Now, 6m seems to be working better (signal latency?)
    - Always plugin/fire up the KPA first and wait until final boot is finished before switching on the LF+

This might be voodoo, but my feeling is, it almost eliminated sync issues between the LF+12+ and KPA.