HS80M Setup - Just Added Yamaha Matching Sub and Iso Acoustic Stands = 2 Thumbs Up

• I've been running with a pair of Yamaha HS80M monitors for a while now and really like them. However I have them on one of those glass top desks from the local office store and anything on the desk rattles, along with my drop ceiling (in my basement). I had smaller version of these speakers with and 11 Rack setup and then upgraded to the HS80s after getting my profiler almost 2 years ago.

Just before Christmas I treated myself to some IsoAcoustics monitor stands and Yamaha's HS10W subwoofer the matches the HS80M monitors. I know that many will say that running a subwoofer really isn't necessary with the HS80M monitors but I have to tell you that I would easily recommend it. These monitors are very revealing and are made for mixing. I don't really record much other than for my own hobbyist kicks but I bought them at the local Guitar Center after auditioning them and chose them because they sounded way more open to my ears than anything else. I think many people in the know would say that they are very revealing and flat but I also know that a monitor that has a little more hyped low end, such as a KRK might actually be preferable to some ears - especially if you are just going to use them to play your Kemper through. Now with the sub added I feel like I have a much fuller sound that reveals more that I was missing. In moving from being use to the "amp in the room" tone for years, I think having the added sub would make for a much less steep of a drop in transitioning (and no... I'm not saying I have an "amp in the room" tone now - just saying that having the sub makes the sound in the room more robust and a plus for any style rig I run through the Kemper). Obviously my more rocking rigs sound much better now but I have to tell you that all those great Amp Factory profiles in the clean/clean+/cranked settings get equal benefit - they sound really great now. I could get more woof by playing the monitors louder on their own but, for me, not having to play the monitors extra loud just to feel more "body" in my sound makes for a better experience. The Kemper sounds "better" with the sub - YMMV.

After putting my monitors on the Iso Acoustic stands my first impression was sort of... meh. After a few hours (and now a few days later) with them however, they clearly are a plus for me. Now, let me preface this by saying that adding the sub led me to changing the settings of the monitors (cutting some bass from them) but I still believe that I'm no longer getting the vibrating ceiling tiles at all because of these stands (I've pushed the volume to test it out a few times). The stands come with long and short rods to give you two height options. I'm using them in the tall setting but have the speakers on their sides (yeah I know - may cause phase issues - but it sounds fine to me) so that they tweeters are now near ear level but. I'm not too worried about mixing and I'm actually am often sitting on a couch across the room so that added height just helps the whole situation of listing to "near field" speakers from a not-so-near listening position. To the purpose of the stands however... they aren't going to perform a miracle but they work as advertised/as others have reviewed, tightening lows and mids and they certainly helped my non-ideal situation (untreated room, using near fields often from about 15ft away).

Obviously I have a combination of changes at play, and I really had no intentions of typing about either additions on an internet forum but just wanted to share my non-scientific findings and give both the sub and the stands a thumbs up to help anyone else considering either of these.

Hope this helps someone.

Patrick

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

Edited once, last by BuckeyeBrown ().

• Nice to hear about other setups. I've been planning to get myself a pair of those IsoAcoustics stands, but can't find the right size, i.e. the smallest for my Dynaudio BM5A speakers. Sucks really, I've been "decoupling my speakers from my desktop with a couple of hard bound books!

Their website has a link to a PDF that lists a bunch of different monitors (your included), gives their dimensions and list which standthey suggest to use . Your monitor is listed in two versions but the dimensions should help if you don't know which one you have.

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• No, the books don't really offer much in the way of acoustic treatment. But they get the things to ear height! :P

The Auralex pads are way too overpriced out here, for the price of two pairs (for two monitors), I could get a larger size IsoAcoustics stand, which I believe is far better.

I already checked the compatibility chart, I need the smallest version, the LR133. I have the first version of the Dynaudio BM5As and while the larger size stand is available here, the distributor refused to bring in the smallest stand, so I gave it a miss.

• I paid a couple of Mopads around 70€ IIRC. The isoacoustic go for about 100 $ per pair. Are we talking about the same product? I can assure you they are *extremely* effective for what they're designed to do :)

• I paid a couple of Mopads around 70€ IIRC. The isoacoustic go for about 100 $ per pair. Are we talking about the same product? I can assure you they are *extremely* effective for what they're designed to do :)

Viabcroce,

I've seen the Mopads and considered them but went with the Isoacoustics because of their ability to raise the speakers several inches or only a few. The riser bars compression fit into these rubber fittings that are the decoupling material. I believe with the driver/speaker firing forward the actual decoupling takes place because of the slight lateral movement that the top would have. Their website suggested the larger ones for the HS80m monitors so they were around $150 unfortunately. I never fooled with any of this because I think they are all overprice but now that I took the leap of faith I would do it again because it raised the monitors perfectly and also helped solve my glass desk vibration issues. I'm sure the mopeds on monitor stands would be the same result. I too don't think the hard bound books would be the same result however! ;)

• After much more time I now have to STRONGLY recommend the sub. My Jazzmaster's lower registers are much more prevalent and very tight (which the Isoacoustics might also deserve a little credit for too). Now I can hear that all of my dirty patches have... balls! I would still like to try a CLR but for home use and with me fighting the urge to not be practical (since I just do this for the basement spiders listening) this set up is very, very good for my personal enjoyment.

• Glad that setup works for you BB! And yes, of course the settable height is a good plus, provided that the frequence damping is as effective. I just had the impression nightlight was talking about a different product :)

On a side note tho, in the spirit of saving bucks, one could raise the monitors with whichever objects they have at hand (books included), and then use the Mopads on top to sit the cabs. The effect would be the same, although not esthetically as good :rolleyes: