In search of the Holy Grail, Part X, Rammstein

• There is some profiles on rig exchange that was made using Rammfire vst, and that is modeled after richard's pre 500 dual rectifier,
    I have not tried the profiles myself, but they might be interesting for you?
    Search Rammfire on exchange to find them.

Here is youtube video about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApLHCbQ3gnw
    Product
    http://www.native-instruments.…komplete/guitar/rammfire/

Edited once, last by Thumas ().

• I tried to recreate some rammstein feeling with free profiles and started off with one of my recent favourites - the fraenggers 5153 TS profile (you can find it on the rig exchange or somewhere else here in the forum), just reduce the mids, really boost the presence and treble and pump in some of the bass and you should have a nasty rammstein-y sound!

• ATM i am looking for the "Waidmanns Heil" tone. a triple rectifier sounds good as mentioned above. also till's chimera.
    what puzzles me most is that the palm muted 16th are so robotic while the open power chords sound the way i play them.
    what is their trick? separate tracks or some kind of quantizing for the group of 16th? ?(

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• what puzzles me most is that the palm muted 16th are so robotic while the open power chords sound the way i play them.
    what is their trick? separate tracks or some kind of quantizing for the group of 16th??(

Just breaking down the recording into very small micro parts using loops until every small part is perfect. Audio Quantization is also very simple if you do it on the DI Tracks before reamping. This way you easily spot the transients of the string attack and move every note to the perfect spot. It´s more a matter of routine than playing skills.

• No idea if Rammstein has ever done it, but some bands will take the precision thing so far as to get one or two good samples of a gallop or chug and copy/paste as many as they need, rather than having someone play the whole phrase.

Seriously? I might be naive but always try to believe that great artists put some really hard efforts in what they are producing.
    Copy/Paste chugs or whatever.... This is so lame... If you can't play it in the studio, it shouldn't be on the album.

Where are the days where the whole band was pretty much playing/recording/tracking together in the same room? Funny that a lot of these albums are considered classics that everybody always refers to. Even the modern/electronic/rap are taking samples of these classics.

Sorry but disappointed... I can easily do copy/paste or using tech to fake my talent but I really couldn't record on a few takes and create a "future" classic. This is why I play for myself in my basement I guess.

Cheers,

Marc.

Edit: Guys, just to be clear, I am talking about the original artists here, not us trying to reproduce what they are doing.

• Like it or not, that´s how most of todays music production is done. Pitch and timing correction everywhere. Especially in modern metal and pop music. Perhaps not so much in blues, soul or jazz music. Concerning Rammstein, their guitar stuff is quite simple to play if you have a good right hand technique. So i wouldn´t say that this kind of music production "cheating" since they pull if off live as well. Other bands have been known for this much more, even on "classic" albums. Many Metallica fans whine about Lars Ulrich not being able to play the fast bassdrum part on "dyer´s eve" live. The truth is that he never pulled it off, even on the album. Even in 89 they used a sampled loop on the drums. This is real cheating.

• Seriously? I might be naive but always try to believe that great artists put some really hard efforts in what they are producing.
    Copy/Paste chugs or whatever.... This is so lame... If you can't play it in the studio, it shouldn't be on the album.

Where are the days where the whole band was pretty much playing/recording/tracking together in the same room?

That didn't happen anymore since The Beatles recorded Revolver. Pretty much everything was at least edited and overdubbed even in the 60s. In Classical Music stuff was edited and overdubbed either. Glen Gould is a pretty good example, he would demand anything the technician could do to for the sake of perfection.

Records have always been "larger than live" from the day tape was invented, editing was possible or when multitracking came up (which was as early as Les Pauls recordings with Mary Ford in the 50s).

• As has been mentioned, once you start being okay with overdubs, any other form of cheating isn't really that much different. Rammstein can definitely play all of their material - hell, they can do it while half of the band is on fire and the keyboardist is being wheeled around in a massive cauldron - but a modern metal record has so much going on sonically that you need things to be as precise as possible to keep the mix clean. So you quantize the drums, you chop up the guitars, you might even use programmed bass because it's a lot easier to work with. Whatever.

• I was always thought the Studio was a magician's stage... until I saw Marty Friedman run across the stage while yelling at the crowd while playing a SOLO from Holy Wars without missing a single note. So I think in some cases its a matter of weak technical ability, but in other cases, it's just a matter of perfectionism.

• I adore musicians like Henrik Freischlader who plays some of his wild and fast riffs even better live while singing his heart out without missing a note.
    Same for JB. And i prefer a live sound even on record. Henriks last but one was recorded live in the studio and sounded IMHO perfect, while i hate the
    new CD with two overdubbed guitars simultaneously noodling around the main riff. Terrible. Brr. And there are other bands, Black Crowes for instance, who meticulously plan
    their two guitars attack which is fine, too. But they do not overdo in the studio. And then there is metal which is so very often overproduced and without fun. Coincidence?

But if you think they are over the top with their perfectionism, you should see classical musicians recording. they do not cut after every two bars like Steve Lukather. i have seen
    it with my own two eyes when they were cutting a G# out of one track into the other track, because it "sounded best". Hilarious. :D

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

Edited once, last by Geraldo7 ().

• But if you think they are over the top with their perfectionism, you should see classical musicians recording. they do not cut after every two bars like Steve Lukather. i have seen
    it with my own two eyes when they were cutting a G# out of one track into the other track, because it "sounded best". Hilarious. :D

Melodyne of celemony/Munich comes to mind to maybe end this pain. Ahhh, and MiDI is the cure! 8o Wait a second, what was the topic again, when Geraldo started this thread? :huh: ?( 8|

• Hey, now it is me who is L.A.T.E., really. btw, nice try, very good, lokasenna :thumbup:

but what means >>LL bombed<<??????????? ?(