Need recommendation for audio interface

• I am currently using an Apogee One audio interface for my recordings (Apple Logic X).
    I am looking for a stationary (non mobile) audio interface which supports the digital outputs of the Kemper.
    Should have very stable drivers for MAC, at least 4 analog inputs....

Who is using an interface that supports the Kemper digital outs?

Thanks!

Rainer

• If you do go with Focusrite stay with the saffire firewire series as their usb devices can be troublesome.

Can you develop please ?
    I'm going to buy a focusrite audio interface too, and I have only USB 2.0 ports on my notebook, unless I buy a firewire PCMCIA card , which I don't want to do if not needed.

• Since I have to use USB the Focurite 6i6 seems to be a good candidate.

A few questions to the owners/users using it on a MAC (OS X 10.9.1):
    1) Is the driver stable?
    2) When the MAC enters standby...when waking up...does it recognize the interface? Or do you need to reboot?
    3) Did you connect the Kemper with S/PDIF coax? How exactly? Do you get a stereo track in Logic X?

Thank you so much!

Edited once, last by MisterB ().

• I've been through a couple of interfaces over time and before I got the Saffire Pro 40, I learned my lessons and did take a look at the company behind, and most important how do they support their stuff, driver qualities and in my case: are they a committed Mac developer.
    I've been bitten by all these over time...

And after researching this, Focusrite came out as the no.1, and I have never regretted that.

Those having problems with USB connection with the Scarlet interfaces, are they Mac users?
    Let's face it, supporting all different PC implementations of USB hardware and software implementations is impossible to do to 100%

• Janne, I think you got the point where USB can be a pain. Its implementation can be quite bad for audio streaming purposes. Most laptop USB connections are designed to simply attach storage devices and to connect printers. But audio interfaces are a different story where all kinds of energy saving functionality or limited (below specs) power supply through USB or bad USB port driver design can have an immediate effect on your audio interface experience. Usually Focusrite can't be blamed for these issues and they're having a hard time to find workarounds to make their interfaces work even on badly designed USB ports.

If someone has a choice, I would always recommend Firewire

• Since I have to use USB the Focurite 6i6 seems to be a good candidate.

A few questions to the owners/users using it on a MAC (OS X 10.9.1):
    1) Is the driver stable?
    2) When the MAC enters standby...when waking up...does it recognize the interface? Or do you need to reboot?
    3) Did you connect the Kemper with S/PDIF coax? How exactly? Do you get a stereo track in Logic X?

Thank you so much!

1 I'm still on 10.6.8 works fine, no issues so far. Check the FAQ on the Focusrite site and see if users are having issues. My drummer buddy uses the 6i6 on Mavericks, has not been complaining about having problems.

2 No reboot required, it is recognized automatically. Only downside i see is that it does not have an option for setting sync automatically to SPDIF when a signal is present and to internal when no signal is arrives.

3 Yes. You need two SPDIF coax cables (normal RCA cables for short distances should work, too). You can record a stereotrack. I go the mono route and record the signal via SPDIF selecting Git/ModMono so i can track a DI and the amp sound including the X an Mod slots.

Open a support ticket here: SUPPORT

Edited once, last by HELL-G ().

• I would recommend a MOTU ultralite mk3. Had a Focus Saffire Firewire before and syncing had issues with MacBook Pro and Logic. Motu all works fine, is very flexible and also easy to carry around.

• Hi there

I use a RME Fireface UC with Windows and Mac setup. Very good sound quality and no latency issues.

Just to mention something else... My daughter is also using a Focusrite Saphire with Mac with great results

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• I have both Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 and one of their USB interfaces. I got the 14 cause I wanted SPDIF which the USB one didn't have (I think? I don't really remember). I am on PC and have had good experiences with both USB and FW focusrite devices. Their drivers seem reasonable. Actually I had more issues with the FW device than USB (at least until I updated the firmware on it).