Rotating speaker rate parameter continuous setting

• The rotating speaker emulator sounds great. And of course I understand that a real Leslie only has two speeds. But this isn't a real Leslie, and I'd really like to be able to choose any speed for the rotating effect. It's obviously possible, as the speed gradually changes from one to the other when you switch it. I would just like to be able to set it somewhere in the middle, or even slower, or whatever. This can't be hard to add surely? I'd be really happy if it made it in.

• hello everybody,

I think that if we're essentially talking about a leslie simulator, things should remain as simple as possible...
    A Leslie speaker has only two rotating speed, and that's the effect I would look for...
    I think the essential parameters are those used also by the Strymon LEX pedal... a very good pedal.

Essential params are: speed-hi, speed-lo, lo-hi reach time, hi-lo reach time.
    Two more optional params used are:
    - brake (temporarily slows and stops the rotation effect while pedal pressed)
    - overdrive (simulate some kind of tube overdrive only for the rotating speaker effect)

look ath the variuos STRYMON LEX demos on youtube...

More than that, I wouldn't need anyting... obviously IMHO

• As I said in another thread, a Leslie does NOT have 2 fixed speeds only.
    The limitation in an un-modded Leslie is only, that you can use 2 speeds while playing. But if you prefer different speeds you can change the belt drive's gear disks or the motor or even mod it to have variable speed.
    Watch the following photo in full size and you'll notice the 3 gear disk mounted on the horn's motor.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wi…s/3/3a/Leslie_Speaker.jpg

Cheers,
    Martin

• As I said in another thread, a Leslie does NOT have 2 fixed speeds only.
    The limitation in an un-modded Leslie is only, that you can use 2 speeds while playing. But if you prefer different speeds you can change the belt drive's gear disks or the motor or even mod it to have variable speed.

I didn't know about the "more than 2 speed" mod, thanks for the info!
    Besides, my personal experience is, having sometimes talked and played with hammond players, that I never heard about the need of three or more rotating speed... at least in a ordinary gig...
    That was the point of my "keep it simple" suggestion... the easier to implement, the more likely it gets implemented soon :)

bye!

• ... I never heard about the need of three or more rotating speed... at least in a ordinary gig...

I agree on this (for an actual hammond organ player, not for a synth/keyboard player or a guitarist).
    But my point was that it's very well possible to decide which the 2 speeds should be in a Leslie for a given gig. And that's something we currently can't do with the Rotary Speaker effect as is.

• I agree on this (for an actual hammond organ player, not for a synth/keyboard player or a guitarist).
    But my point was that it's very well possible to decide which the 2 speeds should be in a Leslie for a given gig. And that's something we currently can't do with the Rotary Speaker effect as is.

I'm completely on your side on this.
    To me, the LEX pedal parameters are a good example of what's needed (and missing) for the KPA.

• I've just been playing a bit with my guitar, the Profiler and the Korg Kronos and its audio input.
    Man, what a world of brilliant rotary speaker effects opens up using the built-in effects of the Kronos. Just a huge WOW!
    I just wish, CK would have a look (and listen) at the Rotary Speaker Pro CX effect of the Korg Kronos. Everything I wish to have in the Profiler. Even Horn and Rotor can be controlled separately ... plus separate mic positioning.

Screenshot:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.wikpa.org/_files/rotary-speaker-pro-cx.png]

• So you want me to copy 12 parametes from Korg, that are not about the sound, just the movement of the speakers? For anyone that has worked with a real rotary speaker in a studio, this is not convincing at all.

You should demonstrate, how little the impact is especially of the high rotor acceleration and deceleration. If the model is made well, it is close to inaudible.

As stated before, I will not copy parameter sets from the competition, that they have copied from the competition before.

Edited once, last by ckemper ().

• Actually, I would like to have 17 of these parameters (Horn, Rotor, Mic, Balance).
    And since the beginning of the rotary speaker discussion we're talking about all things movement (which certainly influences the sound considerably).

I still don't understand why you keep implying that this doesn't make sense while a bunch of people ask for it. Maybe some misunderstanding, but more likely on your side, sorry. :)
    Go try the effect and its parameters, then you'll see (hear) the possibilities and advantages

• It really amazes me over and over again, how negative your reaction is when it comes to obvious improvements. Same story with the Delay topic.
    I guess I will just shut up and let you think you've already got the holy grail of Rotary Speaker and Delay effects. 'nuff said!

• Actually, I would like to have 17 of these parameters (Horn, Rotor, Mic, Balance).
    And since the beginning of the rotary speaker discussion we're talking about all things movement (which certainly influences the sound considerably).

I still don't understand why you keep implying that this doesn't make sense while a bunch of people ask for it. Maybe some misunderstanding, but more likely on your side, sorry. :)
    Go try the effect and its parameters, then you'll see (hear) the possibilities and advantages

I have listened to most variations possible with a rotary speaker, for sure.
    As you remember I have identified a couple dozen relevant parameters for the rotary speaker, most of them never published anywhere. But nobody had a vision that one of these interesting parameters could be usefull. You did not comment a single proposed option back that day. You even felt negative about these options.

To dive deeper, you owe us clips that show what musical impact the parameters in question have.

• It really amazes me over and over again, how negative your reaction is when it comes to obvious improvements. Same story with the Delay topic.
    I guess I will just shut up and let you think you've already got the holy grail of Rotary Speaker and Delay effects. 'nuff said!

Yes, we had our delay topic, and I did not find your proposal obvious, because no single person could hear that second delay in "Where the streets have no name". Is it that story you mean?

I am not seeking for obvious but smart improvements.
    Smart in my sense is: Not doing everything that is possible but chosing carefully how to expand things, without overloading it by mediocre features that blocks the view for what is important.
    If we took all features that the competition has featured and added our innovations, we had a much too complex device :)

But I don't think we have a holy grail. I am always happy to improve our feature set, as we constantly do. Convince me!

• To dive deeper, you owe us clips that show what musical impact the parameters in question have.

Christoph, do you agree that the amplitude throb/tremolo aspect of a rotating speaker is clearly audible without us having to provide clips? Do you agree that being able to adjust the rate of that throb based on the tempo of the music might have significant musical impact?

• Christoph, do you agree that the amplitude throb/tremolo aspect of a rotating speaker is clearly audible without us having to provide clips? Do you agree that being able to adjust the rate of that throb based on the tempo of the music might have significant musical impact?

Sure the tremolo aspect is clearly audible. This modulation is even controlable by the Distance parameter.

A number of users have asked for syncing that tremolo to the tempo. But this idea is based on a misconception. Both rotors on a Leslie rotate out of sync. This assyncronicity is one of the secrets of the sound.
    To sync it to the music, both rotors needed to be in sync, but it would loose some of its authenticity.