anybody have a 'best of' of the rig exchange?

• Sort the exchange by rating. Anything with lots of votes and a high rating is popular.

There is somebody around with a best of collection, but after spending hours going thru it, we just don't have the same taste and I didn't keep any of the profiles. .

What tones are you after?

• What I did when I first started is a search by amp and then filtered by rating. I downloaded and tried out the profiles of amps I was interested that had a decent rating (say, 4 and above).

Now, I check the exchange daily and download and try out anything of interest as new additions will take a while to gather some ratings.

• Ingolf, when I hear the word "Relative" I can't help but think of Einstein and how that is used to point out that the Laws of Physics are the same for every observer, etc.

So, since the Laws of Best Amp Sounds appear to be different for Every Observer, I hypothesize here my new "Special Theory of Subjectivity" (special cause there is no acceleration of the stage, so this doesn't apply to rotary stages or parade floats) in which, I am of course, supremely correct and infallible. So, with that out of the way...

Here are my very amazingly accurate Best of the Free Exchange & Etc List:
    (from my Gear Page post)

After going through 3700 Free Exchange profiles, I've kept these on:

- !JTM30-CLEAN
    - 63'VOBROVERB
    - 6505+ SPC Mod
    - AAC Deluxe l(r)p
    - AC 15 Boost HW
    - AC30 clean
    - AGL SOME MARSHALL
    - Anvil CL
    - Anvil RHY 2
    - Aria SB900-A
    - AXEFX2 Engl powerball
    - BG DRecto OrVi TS 1
    - BG DRecto ReMo DI 11
    - Bogner Shiva clean
    - Bogner Shiva clean+
    - Cornell Romany Plus
    - Carvin V3 Clean Brig
    - Country Mile
    - DL SWART
    - DLCARR RAL
    - eng powerball
    - Fndr '65 Twin Cust15
    - Galien-Krueger 150A (there are a few here, very nice, lettered A-E)
    - LW JCM800 UWE
    - LW Jet City 100 TITAN M
    - LW JG15-2 HOMEBREW
    - LWMarshall Golub Crunc
    - MAKO NO BOOST
    - Morgan AC20
    - NOLLY PEAVY 5150 Lead FXII
    - PT Bad Rx
    - BasketCase
    - RACKTO RED MOD
    - Rich's DSL100
    - Shiva drive 7.5 B
    - TOTW 03
    - VAI.GOD

After going through about 240 Kemper Stock Profiles, I've kept these one:

- Aura Ny 7
    - Bogner TM Blue
    - Cathedral
    - Fuxx Horn Lead pault
    - Gundy Brown Sound EVH
    - Gundy Gilmourish
    - No Name Street
    - Ola Mr Hector SM57
    - Pitch +4 -3 Smooth
    - PITCH Fan BM Crunch Oct
    - PITCH Mogue Mini
    - PITCH Wide Fuzz Oct
    - ROCHMAN Clean 2
    - Sky Vibrato
    - Smashing Fuzz
    - TDR Ultraclean
    - U2-MAGNIFICENT
    - Victoria 6V6+
    - Victoria el34+
    - Vox AC15 Day Tripper
    - Vox AC15 Handwired
    - Vox AC15 Handwired B
    - VoxContinOrg paults

There are Kemper Packages worth keeping in full:
    - LasseLammert
    - Ola Englund

• While it would be rather easy to take all the rigs, put them into a .csv format, and then create a database off of it, here are the problems I see:

1) People take their rigs back off the Free Exchange and are no longer available
    2) Maintaining an update
    3) How to allow people to mark a "like"

I've always liked "Urban Spoon"'s way of doing it. Instead of a point system, it's a simple "like/unlike" and a percentage from that (90 likes, 10 unlikes = 90%)

I haven't programmed in 10 years, but can a Javascript traverse the Free Exchange, or at least be given a stock file of rigs, then show them online with simple buttons for users to click on "LIKE" "YUCK" and show the percentage, keeping a tally.

Does that make sense?

• I got you.
    But my suggestion was more hypothetical and actually not meant to be taken 100% seriously:
    Investigate the rigs all the users have kept on their machines and you'd have a best of.
    No need to update, no need to 'like'.
    Just like a census if you like.

My personal opinion is that I'm not so interested in best of's.
    I'm more a 'I'm making my mind up myself' guy. :)

• I hear ya. Feel the same way.

These lists are essentially starting points, but when you have more time, delve in more, find a nugget or two.

Also, a tweaker can do a lot with a profile someone else might discard.

I admit, I've not been patient with stock profiles.
    I throw them away like banana peels and find a tweaked one on the Free Exchange and go "MAN I LOVE IT" and Don reminds me it was originally a stock profile!

• ya, i'd like to see a rating system like the charts, based on yay or nay.

have a weekly, monthly and all-time greatest profiles... maybe have sub categories of clean, high gain, whatever else.

... because otherwise all these profile uploads are useless, nobody's going to randomly go through 200 pages. a rating system would be good motivation for profilers and easy access for newcomers looking for sweet sounds with their new toy.

• The best profiles I have found for the Kemper quite honestly have been from The Amp Factory. Imho...there is quite a difference in sound from someone just simply sticking a mic in front of a guitar amp and this done professionally using multiple mics and mixed in a recording studio environment. There are some freebees on the exchange from them.. they go by And44 as the author and the source is listed as TAF.
    Their Trainwreck, Goldfinger, Freidman and Marshall profiles are unbelievable ... (I don't work for them...just a guitarist who has found the ultimate tones)

TONE IS PARAMOUNT :D8) 8o

• My personal opinion is that I'm not so interested in best of's.
    I'm more a 'I'm making my mind up myself' guy. :)

I'm with Ingolf here. The personal preferences of each user will make it impossible to evaluate the quality of nearly 4000 rigs though some rigs earn a lot of praise. I found some highly praised rigs rather meh, some of my favourites are meh to other users.

• Check out the "DR R OD9" profiles I made. My best profiles imo, and they have the least amount of votes. ;)

You can hear them here:
    http://www.youtube.com/coraxoband

I can't really suggest anything else since I don't use anything else. :D

:D That's good to hear. My personal favourite is also a selfmade rig, i do not use any other tone for my own music live or recording(except R_U_Sirius Bogner Shiva cln and heavy and a JC120 clean from TAF) and it didn't get any positive response so far. Phew, i am not the only one... :thumbup:

• The best profiles I have found for the Kemper quite honestly have been from The Amp Factory. Imho...there is quite a difference in sound from someone just simply sticking a mic in front of a guitar amp and this done professionally using multiple mics and mixed in a recording studio environment.

I don't think that all the free rigs have been made by people who just simply stick a mic in front of an amp!
    I love andy's work and committment, but he certainly is not the only one who knows how to properly mic and mix. Not to mention factory profiles, all made by high-quality professional session men and sound engineers.
    The point is that each profile was sounding good in its context. If your's different you might not be impressed so much.

All favtory profiles are useable in the right context (mix, guitar, PU, style, player).

:)

• Preference in profiles differ between what you use them for:

1) Different guitars favor different profiles
    2) Headphones, Recorded, Live all have a decreasing need to be discriminate. As great tone gets lost in the Mix and Noise of performance halls. But in Headphones, Andy is BLISS!
    3) Speakers used make a huge difference on the tone of a profile.

So if I say "I love Bluesbreakers from TAF and AC 15 Boost Handwired" from the Free Exchange, that's me, playing a Les Paul, Strat, Tele through headphones or MR8 monitors. If I played a Squire or PRS through a CLR I might have a different opinion entirely.

So, yes, take suggestions as starting points. But when you have time, sift through the sludge by yourself if you still pine for more.

• The number of votes and ratings can be a start, but, I think it comes down to trying whatever looks interesting, votes or not. Your playing style and guitar may make a rig that no one else likes ah absolutely perfect rig for you.

Example: "Boys are Back JTM" is one with no votes, but, if you wanted to play that song, or learn how to program harmonies, it would be a useful rig.

BTW - db9091 - you may have mixed up some of the details of your rigs -

I don't know that either of these two are included in the Factory Profiles. but, THANKS for liking them :)

Fuzz Horn Lead pault

VoxContinOrg paults

• Oh, were they Free Exchange instead?

That means I'm fallible?!? Wow.

I guess my Psychiatrist is correct: I'm only half-perfect! ;)

Thanks for correcting the record! (the scientist in me loves this accurate stuff, and this former New Yorker loves the honesty)

Plus, You make some great profiles, and I totally appreciate them!