Getting a used Guitar from US into Germany...

• Need some advise. Got an Epi LP joe perry signature with Gibson burstbuckers, and a Bryan May Red Special. But a fully grown male needs a telecaster. Got some money coming up and GAS rises :D
    In March I have a two week trip the in US coming up. Among Washington/DC, I'll be in Huntsville, AL and Denver with a stopover in Nashville. Thinking about getting there a Fender Telecaster with HB and SC PU Mix. The bastard one with the PU switch on top of the body like a LP. :rolleyes: Preferably a Used one.
    What Kind of hustle can I expect at German Customs. I mean like Real hussle Not the usual bull regarding invoice and VAT. I've heard about nightmares regarding rosewood necks and frets. Any personal experience, that you guys like to share? Does it make sense or should I spend the money on a custom made one at Andre's luthier shop in Munich.
    I appreciate any opinion!
    Thank you!

• If it's a used one, you could try to carry it as cabin luggage. Worked for me several years ago. But no guarantee at all.

But honestly, no Fender could compete with one of André's precious. Afaik, he currently has a very nice Telecaster available. But not the configuration you are looking for.

• I guess: Nowadays better forget it!

In the late 90s I brought a vintage Strat from Texas - well, that was way before 911.
    They let me take it as cabin luggage from Dallas to London, but British Airways refused that for the way from London via Zürich (really) to Frankfurt. So I was afraid the pickups might take damage because of the temperature differences in the cargo room (even bigger problem for the whole way from the States, of course). I'm rather sure it will be hard nowadays to take a guitar as cabin luggage.

In Frankfurt I was lucky that day. We arrived late in the night, so there were only very few guys there from the customs department, and I guess they were tired or something. Or maybe it was, because I looked like a Texan guitar-hero (Cowboy hat, boot, vest etc. 8) )? Anyway, I simply went through the gate "nothing to declare" and nobody asked me. :D

On the other hand: Two weeks ago I received my Eurekaprom for the FCB1010 from the States, and I had to pick it up from the customs. There was no invoice on the outside of the envelope and they were too dull to read the given data from the label. That cost me 5 EUR and something import fee and, even worse, 1 hour of my time only there (without driving time).
    My mistake, I should have known better. Some years ago I made the mistake to order different guitar parts from Stewart McDonald, including pearl inlay blanks, special screws, wood oil and some more "exotic" things. They really tried to declare each single screw separately (different length, different material). I still remember that this cost me not only money, but also more than 5 hours of my time :cursing:

So, if you want to bring a guitar with you anyway: Have a perfect invoice from the seller ready and be prepared to spend some time at the customs and to pay about 20% import and managing fee.

• I have brought in 2001 a used Ibanez to Austria, the owner was so nice and has issued me a confirmation that it was a "gift because of long-standing and intimate friendship". :D There was no stress at customs.
    It was a fun action on an experimental basis but it worked flawlessly ....

Play it like you mean it.

• Thanx to you all for your input!
    webdiver: Well, if one looks at all the hoopla and cost to bring in some used low tek instrument to Germany, for the same amount and a bit more one could go to Andre indeed. Seems the easy path to follow, 'cause no real need to wrangle with customs when overnighted, jetlaged and groggy... 8o And the "cabin luggage" times are over, I believe!

@raznor: HAAR looks nice, but I've never played a fatneck. Not sure how it feels. Maybe I can ask my buddies, if one of them got a fatneck.

Foresten: yikes, good joss - bad joss. No idea when the turn of a "unfriendly" card comes up. Your experinece is exactly what I am beeing afraid of!

tylerhb: Kranzach ist echt um die Ecke im Norden. Die schauen ja echt gut aus. Ich versuch im Februar mal in den Norden zu kommen und Deine TC zu begutachten. Ich bring dann auch den Hiwatt "Bootsanker" und ein paar andere RaRITäTEN mit.

@ ws: Your advise is then to avoid Frankfurt and Munich and travel via Vienna?

• Well, unless they take pictures or write down brands and descriptions... this is not going to happen: get rid of the (crappy) case as well. There are some for about 15 € around :)