PowerHead vs UnPowered Head with Matrix GM50

• I am really just wondering if anyone has compared the "quality of tone" of the B&O power amp (within the PowerHead) against the Matrix GM50 with the unpowered head?

I already have the unpowered head with a Matrix GT1000FX so I know what the Matrix can sound like but I also would like to have the portability of a powered head and not have to lug the rack mount Matrix.

If I go with the GM50 it is a simple solution whereas I would need to sell my existing Unpowered Head and re-buy the PowerHead. Cost to trade up to the PowerHead is roughly $800 US, cost of the GM50 is roughly $350. I would gladly spend the extra if the B&O power amp is really that much better :)

Thanks,
    D

Edited 3 times, last by dschaaf68 ().

• I am curious to know this as well. I have the original white unpowered "lunchbox" model. I've been wanting the powered rack-mounted model since it came out. I don't have near enough money to afford the powered model so I would like to know if the Matrix is close in quality. If it is good enough maybe I can save up for the Matrix.

• I don't think that the 50 sounds exactly like the 1000, which is a killer amp for sure.

Have you consider a Camplifier to home-retrofit your Profiler? If you don't like it, you can return it w/o any hassle, and spending - and risking - almost nothing.

:)

• Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at the Camplifier and it certainly could be a consideration as I know it has the ability to output in Stereo....which could be a plus.

I am really hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has tried both (B&O and GM50) as to how the two compare from a tone/sound perspective when coupled with the Kemper.

Thanks,
    D

• The OP probably already know that the GM50 is not retrofit to the Kemper, it is made to fit the back of a cabinet. I think that this is the same amp use in the Q12a series. The comparision is still interesting thought.

• Thanks Guys, so you are saying that while the GT1000FX sounds great...which it does, the GM50 is not as good and the PowerHead with the B&O power amp would be better than the Toaster with the GM50 installed in a cab?

Thanks,
    D

• Considering your options I think the Camplifier 290 would be a nice choice effectively, mono/stereo, full retrofit to your Kemper head, not so expensive, powerfull and let you use any cabinets you want.

• Thanks Pick909!
    I guess by the suggestions for the Camplifier that folks believe the tone/quality matches, or is close to that of the B&O power amp? Again, I don't mind spending the extra money to get a better solution.

Thanks,
    D

Edited 2 times, last by dschaaf68 ().

• To the OP: the1000 is the firm's flagship when it comes to guitar. I've not compared the two models personally, but good sense makes me thing it sounds better.
    kemper's amp sound spectacular tho, and if money is not an issue and you want to go for a smaller estate I'd definitely go for it over anything, with two limitations:

1. You can't install it by yourself;

2. It's mono.

OTOH, The 1000 is a great amp. I'm sure the 50 is not going to sound any better (IIRC it's based on the 800, but I could be wrong).

BTW, are you using guitar cabs of linear cabs? Ever considered using an active cab?

• Thanks for the reply Viabcroce,

Yes, you are correct that the gm50 is based on the GT800 (one channel)

I am really just looking for the compact benefits. I really don't gig much and am just looking for something easy to take to a friends to jam.

I am actually using both right now, Kemper unpowered toaster into either matrix GT1000FX into (2) 2x12 cabs, mesa 2:90 into (2) 2x12 cabs or Kemper into Atomic Active CLR cabs.

Thanks,
    D

• Well, unpowered Profiler and CLRs is probably the most truthful possible sounding rig... Is it so much worse to take a CLR with you than your 2x12? Or you mean you'd leave the cabs home when you go visit your friend?

If this is the case, I'd go for the Camplifier, just because the whole rig would be so neat and compact (no flying boxes, cables... just your KPA and your guitar, with something small in its case).
    At this stage it wouldn't matter which combination sounds best IMO, they are all pro-level solutions, and for the best sound you already have the CLRs...

YMMV of course :D