Standard American strat + KPA + Yamaha DXR10 in a Rock cover band : Is this possible ?

• Hi,

During rehearsals, I have no real time to tweak my sounds since our time is limited, and i'm not fully satisfied with the sound i get from my signal chain.
    Of course, i know it depends a lot from my hands, the room, and other parameters such like the level(dB) of other instruments, Fletcher-Munson stuff and so on...

We are a 5 boys band including 1 singer, 1 bass player, 1 drum player and 2 guitarists.
    We cover some classical tunes ranging from The Beatles to System of a down , Red Hot Chili Peppers,...

So I'd like to try other members patches tweaked for gig level :
    I'm searching only 3 sounds , no more for the moment: Clean, Crunch and Distortion

So if you get a similar signal path to mine (Standard American strat + KPA + Yamaha DXR10) , could you please let me try some of your patches ?
    And let me know what are the settings used on the yamaha ?

Thanks a lot !!

Laurent

Edited 2 times, last by GuyTarero ().

• Hi

I play in a coverband and use a Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster (SSS) + KPA + IEM. On rehearsals I use an AER as FRFR speaker and it works great. I have to say I love using the Kemper in coverband setting.

I have bought a lot of profiles from TAF (theampfactory.com) and they are awesome. Our sound engineer said this weekend that he thinks the guitar sound is really good, and much better than "that old amp" :)

The profiles I use today is from the "Fentastic Pack" and the "Ultimate Toolkit Pack1" for Marshall sounds. For crunch sounds I use the 64Bandmaster and the Princeton65 a lot, specially with the neck pickup. For the rock sound I use the X87, JTM800 and JTM45 specially with the bridge pickup. I have spend some time tweaking the sounds. I also use a combination with compressor and a EQ in the first slots, to crunch and shape the tone.

• Thanks so much for the feeback, i will certainly try the marshall pack

I think the main problem i'm facing is linked to equalization so any tip about this subject is welcome
    How do you shape your sound with eq ? Lower bass, add mids ?

Laurent

Edited 2 times, last by GuyTarero ().

• I use a Fender HSS Strat, Kemper, and Atomic CLR every weekend in a band that covers the same sonic territory your band does. I setup a Performance rig with Clean/Crunch/OD1/OD2/OD3 that works great. Honestly, I just tweak stock patches and am highly satisfied.

• Hello, I use the same setup as you (Strat, KPA and DXR 10) in several cover bands. I also use exclusively sounds of TAF (theampfactory.com), preferably Fender Twin for clean and crunch sounds, JCM 800 for distortion. This setup works perfectly and has a very good sound in any musical situation. The output EQ on KPA is neutral, as is the setting of the DXR 10.

Play it like you mean it.

• Thanks ws,

About output levels, do you go through main output or monitor output ?
    Do you think it is better to keep a relative low level on kpa output and have a high level on dxr10, or the opposite, or that it has no influence on the sound ?
    I will check this tomorrow evening,

Ciao,

Laurent

• I run my DXR 10 with the volume knob to the center position and adjust the volume to fit each situation at the KPA. Since the DXR has 1100 watt, I never had a problem with the volume. :D

Play it like you mean it.

• Well, the more robust the signal feeding the Yamaha (the noisier unit), the better the N/S ratio.
    Does the Signal LED on the back turn red or the like when input is overloaded, like in the CLRs? If this is the case, set the Profiler's output and/or the DXR's input sensitivity so that it seldom blinks with the strongest possible profile/strum.
    Then set the DXR's output for about the maximum volume you'll need.
    At this stage, the N/S ratio is optimized and you can lower the volume using the Profiler's usual ways or rely on your profiles' volume optimization (aka homeworks :D).

HTH

• How do you shape your sound with eq ? Lower bass, add mids ?

I use a combination of compressor and EQ instead of an overdrive pedal or tube screamer. This "trick" is described here:

http://www.wikpa.org/Green_Scream

My favourite Overdrive pedal in the Profiler would be the combination of the Compressor and Pure Boost: • Compressor intensity between 3.5 and 4.5, Volume +1 • Pure Boost volume at between +0.4 and +1.0

I mirror the advice above, but would suggest using an EQ instead of a Booster. This will give you more control over exactly what frequencies you want to boost/cut, allowing you to dial in the exact distortion tone you want from the amp. The EQ's also have a volume parameter, so they can be used as a boost; however, if you don't plan to toggle it on/off, you can just use the Gain control to get the exact amount of distortion desired.

Often I adjust the EQ to the guitar tone of the song I'm going to play. I use a iPod on "aux in" on the Kemper and then I play the original song in the background when I use the EQ to shape the tone to the similar recorded guitar tone :)