Rig Manager

• Why do you even post here? Everything you type seems like a whiny child. Grow up.

You and Myramyd have an extremely distorted perception of how programming works and the effort required. If it was so easy to grab some Red Bull and make a rig manager why didn't you do so? It would have been extremely lucrative. But of course, you haven't the slightest clue about developing applications, you just like to criticize as if you did.

To all of the longtime members here who have supported the KPA from the beginning, sorry for the rant. But this thread should be exciting and fun instead of all the bashing from the children. Thanks KPA team for releasing this. I have plenty of ways to run this on my mac. Can't wait to see what you guys release next!

First off, one of the things I have enjoyed about this forum is that people don't typically resort to being jerks and name-calling like on other forums. I don't feel that anything I said deserves that kind of negativity.

Second, I was exaggerating/being sarcastic. I am actually a front-end programmer and software project manager in my day job. So, yes, I DO actually know what it takes. I agree with previous posters that with a small team it should realistically take around 1-3 months to create from scratch. But, I have seen programmers get 90% there in a weekend. Given this is proprietary hardware and software interfacing I will accept that it takes some time to work out all the bugs. However, any project I have been involved in is mandatory cross-platform from day one and we do not release until both are ready. Usually they are within a few weeks of each other. If that is the case here then there is no warrant for complaint. But, if it is months out, then I think we have a point in raising the question.

There is a very large demographic of musicians and producers who use the Mac platform exclusively. In my night job, I am one of those people. Playing in bands where we have 50-60 songs to cover each weekend with new set lists, do you have any idea how much time it has taken me in the last year and a half to program in performances using the front panel? How about in a studio situation where you know you want a certain sound but spend around an hour trying to find it, given you have to flip through 900 profiles one at a time with a knob? Knowing that my Line 6 POD 2.0 twelve years ago had software for this purpose has made it a tough pill to swallow. If I was some dude hanging around jamming in my basement then I would have no right to raise the issue but, as a semi-professional (one quarter of my income came from music last year), this has been a huge time drag for me. If I didn't love the hardware so much I would have bailed a long time ago on it.

Yes, the Kemper is fantastic and I would not use anything else. If it continues to exist I can't see myself going back to real amps or any other modeler in the foreseeable future. But, I do think they need to take into account that a lot of us are power users that need this tool to make our workflow more efficient. I'm not sure I can stomach spending $ on Windows OS just to run this but, if I know for sure that it is months out then I may have to find a workaround, which is not ideal for many of us.

Don't assume you know my situation or casually impart that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Let's keep this discussion civil and hope for an optimistic timeline on the Mac version.

J

• I disagree on this. I'm pretty glad there's still software that doesn't jump on the web-based app service & cloud hype. I prefer to have software installed locally, independent from web access. If there's an additional (and optional) link to the Rig Exchange, fine. But I would hate if it was required to use it.

Regarding the "Win first, Mac later" issue ... all I can say is: I offered them my help, having 20 years of experience creating professional dual platform applications. They didn't even bother to say yes or no thanks, no reaction at all. Anyway, I'm glad something is coming soon, just hope it will have all the functionality we need to speed up our rig management considerably. Don't want to mess around with some half baked alpha state software.

Agreed on all counts. I had expected a web based solution when I saw the web server in the amp. If the developer does not have lots of experience doing cross-platform development, especially including Mac development, the Mac app will be not be very nice. But then, Line6 & Roland make crappy stuff with non-resizable windows and myriads of "detail" popups that make editing a pain. Still, it's nice to have the software. I'll use the Kemper software if/when it ever appears on the Mac and occasionally I'll boot up Parallels to run the first release (as much of a suck that that is) because something is a hell of a lot more useful than nothing.

If the documentation were sufficient, I would have built this already myself and would have done it Mac-only. Now that it is assured that a supported solution will be released, then I'll never find time for it anyway.

I think the problem many of us Mac users have is not so much that the Windows version comes out first, but that the Mac version has no schedule for its release other than "later this year." That doesn't sound like it's much of a priority. Yes, I can run Parallels (assuming the Manager runs in Shitsta, I'm not upgrading to 7 or 8 just to run this), but it's a PITA that I won't put up with routinely.

As to the jerks that are saying, "Why are you whining, it's free!" I say, "When did I have an opportunity to pay for it?" If Kemper had offered this for $50 a year ago, I'd have paid.

• Amazing, people criticising software they have not even seen/tried yet,software programmers and team leaders
    getting their dicks out and saying they could do better, than what? Its only available to beta testers, how do you know you could do better if you haven't even
    seen it?...and yes i do know what I am talking about having worked in the software industry since 1985, started by programming 8080 and z80's in machine code.

Some guitar players make me ashamed to call myself a guitarist because of their immaturity, think I will take up the ukelele instead, they seem a sensible bunch.
    or....the trombone.....or uphonium...btw anybody know the range of a uphonium?..............depends...on how far you throw it.

/Taz

2005 gibson lp standard faded/frankenstein tele->kemper->adam a3x/LD systems mon 121

• All in all I will say it's quite embarassing and disappointing to read all this bitching and complaining about a piece of software that was wished for for so long and that hasn't even be released.
    Very bad style by some users and clearly lacking class! :thumbdown:

BIG +1 on that.

• I know it's always a bitter pill if you know you'll have to wait even longer than others to get your hands on a much anticipated tool. And it might not be fun to spend some more money for a workaround. On the other hand, if you're a power user and this tool would save you considerable time (you remember, time is money) ... here's a few ideas that could help some:

1. Netbook or Tablet
    How about getting a cheap Windows based netbook or tablet specifically for rig management? They aren't very expensive, they are small and very mobile. And you certainly don't need lots of storage space and processing power to run the RigManager on a netbook.

2. Wireless USB Hub
    We all hate cables flying around all the time. Did you know that there's WUSB (Wireless USB) hubs that could potentially help you manage your rigs from e.g. a netbook through Wireless USB connection to the Profiler? You could even manage 2 or more Profilers if the upcoming RigManager is capable of detecting more than one Profiler. So basically you could sit at your mixing desk, have your DAW open and keep working in your DAW, the netbook right at your side. Or you could be in the studio with your netbook. And it connects through Wireless USB to your rack mounted Profilers and lets you manage and load rigs. Nice?

• As a mac user, even if i need to wait more than a pc user, i'm pleased to know that there will be a mac version

On an other hand, what bothers me is that (when i extracted tags from most of rig exchange rigs using my tag editor, but you can also see this from RE pages ) we , as a community didn't agree (yet) on a way to properly tag our rigs

This results in sometimes some dozens of different tags for the same amp, and it does not make easy to find all rigs for one single amp

As an example, for marshall amps, you can find : Mar, mars, marsh, marsha, marshal, marshall,.....

Ideally it would be good to agree on a few rules about some tags naming , and to be able to re-tag some rigs

This would make things easier, that's my 2 cents, but also a lot of work
    We'd better spend our energy in improving things rather than criticizing kemper team

Your feedback ?

Ciao,

Laurent

• Cool - finally a KPA patch librarian!
    yet - for me I still "ding" Kemper for not having a KPA Editor and VSTi/AU control panel though.
    (which seems odd since its the same engineering team that created the Axcess Virus TI)

Everyone works in different ways, but in my case I'm often stuck somewhere for hours each day without access to my gear - only a laptop. With the VG-99, thanks to the Win/Mac VG-99 Editor, i can edit and create new VG-99 patches offline - with no VG-99 hardware present, mostly because I understand the controls of most FX - so I can make /arrange all my Live show presets using the Editor (flying deaf)- and know I'm in the ballpark - then make final tweaks when I finally get to be near my VG-99.

I know many users of AXE-FX who make changes / adjustments in a similar paradigm to the above scenario between gigs in the tour bus with just a laptop. I want to do this with my Kemper as well!

• I can wait for a mac version, but have to say that I can´t follow that, as specially in many studios and professional homerecording situations macs are very much standard, and here a rig manager might be strongly needed/wanted.

Will nor start crying because of that .......... but some tears will run down my cheek ........ will build some bombs (got that NSA?) ......... just kiddin to get some fun in this thread again! :D

• It saddens me to read all the complaining.

I thought our community was more appreciative than that.

If I was part of the team at Kemper Head Quarters I would be flabbergasted right now, shake my head in discouragement and most probably take the rest of the day off.

It would be like if you come out with a new piece of music, all proud of the work you did, and lots of people tells you that it totally sucks the day it comes out. I assume most of us would just want to curl up facing a corner a small room with all lights off.

Not nice.

• If I understand this correctly to be able to audition different rigs directly from the Rig Exchange is FANTASTIC NEWS! Imagine going to Sam Ash and putting a Marshal Stack through the paces in the comfort of your own home and all of sudden you have the option of buying it free of charge out of the 4000 rigs available on the exchange at least 10 of them you can't tell the difference between the actual amplifier and the profile(is it real or is it Memorex)and maybe while I'm at it I'll throw in a Twin Reverb for good measure. For $3,000 (including the FRFR solution)I have $20,000 worth of guitar equipment, that's what you call a good investment. Not to mention the TAF and the other commercial rigs that are available I have not even explored. I also forgot to mention the tweaking capabilities of this unit. Keep on Rocking Mr. Kemper. Last of all I know that I am not alone on my thoughts and observations about the Kemper Profiling Amplifier. Thank You

• If I understand this correctly to be able to audition different rigs directly from the Rig Exchange is FANTASTIC NEWS! Imagine going to Sam Ash and putting a Marshal Stack through the paces in the comfort of your own home and all of sudden you have the option of buying it free of charge out of the 4000 rigs available on the exchange at least 10 of them you can't tell the difference between the actual amplifier and the profile(is it real or is it Memorex)and maybe while I'm at it I'll throw in a Twin Reverb for good measure. For $3,000 (including the FRFR solution)I have $20,000 worth of guitar equipment, that's what you call a good investment. Not to mention the TAF and the other commercial rigs that are available I have not even explored. I also forgot to mention the tweaking capabilities of this unit. Keep on Rocking Mr. Kemper. Last of all I know that I am not alone on my thoughts and observations about the Kemper Profiling Amplifier. Thank You

Well said +1