Celestion Classic 80 lead speakers

• Has anyone use these speakers in a cab with the KPA.

Avatar says they don't color sound and would be perfect for the KPA.

I bought a Dr Z best cab and returned it was a 60 watt cab, The store told me it was a 160 watt cab. I love my 4x12 on high gain profiles.

• what?
    I tried those spearker un a 4x12 marshall for the AFD session..times ago.
    they cut you ears due to their prononced trebble shape.

if you're going to use them in a cab and to run your KPA W/it, I guess You have to desable the cab portion and cut high freq from monitor out EQ..
    I guess, but you should also like it as they are (and also do not disable the cab)

• Don't like the bleeding ear treble. Most reviews say they are transparent or neutral like studio monitors. Nothing about ice pick highs.

I read a lot about the Atomic CL and Matrix and you like them or don't and you have to cut the high freg on them too.

I was hoping to try using the cabs on the KPA because they are neutral speakers but I guess not.

Thanks for the reply

• that's my duty!.. no need to say thanks.
    I bring to Gibson dealers and Super Dealers shops a Seminary about Slash's Sound and those speakers aren't Full Range Flat Response (as the grafh above may Explain)
    I'm now Very courious to Know Who is telling thay May Sound Flat Monitor (as above mentioned brands)
    Please Link HERE where Exactly You read that thing.

Said That, You can Still use a celestion's speakers like classic Lead 80 or whatever (Vintage 30, G12h30, greenbacks, creamback... whatever LoudSpeaker ) and you may have good results..tweaking a bit, in my opinion, But No they are not Neutral (or so called) FRFR speakers! No, Def. No! :|

• Thanks again. I read it on Marshall forum but like me that review most likely came from someone with very little knowledge of speakers.

On Avatar cabs it says for high power natural sounding clean tones and are great for modeling amps.

Thanks for the graph.

• Avatar says they don't color sound and would be perfect for the KPA.

If it's sold as a guitar speaker, then it's coloring the sound like crazy. "Proper" FRFR setups like Atomic, Matrix, or Xitone use speakers meant for PA systems - for example, my Xitone wedge uses a coaxial Eminence speaker with a tweeter that screws into it, and the result is fairly close to what's coming out of my desk monitors.

From what I've read, you can get a decent FR sound by using PA speakers in a guitar cab, but it won't be as good (entirely subjective though) as a cabinet designed for the different bass response, etc that PA speakers produce.

• Well I put my name on the Atomic CLR passive cab list and I'am really scared. Why I'am scared you may ask is because I'am not great with tweaking sounds and I have always used a cab so I'am worried because I'am use to the in room sound.

My band only uses a cheap PA and every where we play don't have a PA.(life of rural life livin) and right now are drummer and singer split. I also jam with some older guys doing blues.

• what those celestion graphs also don't show are the small peaks and dips in the response if you use a high enough resolution without averaging the measurements over an octave or more frequencies.

I think the Power Engine cabs come with the Classic Lead 80's now - they used to come with 2112a's which are actually designed to be full range speakers (still not flat response, although that's a myth anyway). So there might be something to be said of the Classic Lead 80's versatility. But it's definitely not FRFR, and I don't think I'd want to run a cab/mic simulation through it.

were you looking to have maximum versatility, or wanting to get a certain kind of sound. I just bought an Alto TS112a, and I don't miss my 4x12 anymore. A good FRFR speaker should sound as good as the cabinet/mic/room used to create the cabinet profile. A guitar-centric 4x12 is always gonna sound a certain way. Some cabinet profiles could sound good through it, but others will not, regardless of how well they were dialed in at profile time.

• Hey Meambobbo at first just wanted a 2x12. Easyer to carry then a 4x12. I have 10 to 20 profiles I love with my 4x12 but after all the reading in the forum I really would love maximum versatility using my KPA.

Lokasenna most of the time I play at drummer volume but at home with the master at 2 or 3.

• thanks for the correction Ingolf.

Manchild, go the FRFR route. Maximum versatility, and the KPA's cab profiles are better than simple IR's. If done right, they sound like real mic'ed cabs, and if they were mic'ed very nicely, they sound like real cabs in the room. You can go for high quality with an Atomic CLR or go as cheap as the Alto TS. IR's can sound great, but when using a careful ear, you can hear a bit of difference from the real thing.

It's tempting to think that swapping the cab on a profile is "not authentic" and should be avoided. But that's the same thing as turning off the cab profile and using a real cab. There's a tone of incredible cab profiles out there, and they can breathe life into amp profiles that sound sub-par at first.

So there's a lot of upside to FRFR and not much downside, compared to a real cab. The only thing I really miss about my 4x12 now is the look. 4x12's look badass. But you can build a cab shell from plywood to look like one if that's a real issue ;)