KPA Live version

• Hi,

I have been using KPA on stage for months and really love it. I have never had this great sound with very dynamic response like this before. For me, it's a real deal! However, I earn about $30 for a 1 hour show and carrying a $1600 digital device around and use it in different places makes me worry about damage, especially from electrical surge. So I have an idea about having KPA live use oriented, maybe, looks like Zoom G3. It might not be able to profile sound and can only read the profiles. The i/o has only Main and Monitor outs with send-return. Expression pedal is a plus. I would pay $500-800 for this unit. Please take my wish and consider about it.

Kui

• Yes, it has been discussed before. Not a consensus but certainly a majority thought it might not be possible. I was one of those who disagreed and still disagrees. It would be very well possible to build a cheaper, smaller, limited edition of the big Profiler. But, as Ingolf said, it's unlikely to happen ... but for business model reasons, not technical or production cost reasons, imho.

Nothing wrong though to express your interest in such a device. Maybe one day in the future they change their mind. ;)

• Yes, I was hoping the future foot controller, would both control a full size KPA, and be a "play" only Kemper. That would give folks who wish for combining amps the ability, while being the foot controller for both.

• I'd just get your gear insured on the house insurance that's what I have done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. Thank you. I will check option in my country.

Sorry for mention what have been discussed before ^^".

IMO, for business reason, it would be a huge market expansion to come to user market not a producer market. In my country, there are no more than 20 units of KPA sold and 80% of guitarists here don't have idea what KPA is because the aim of using KPA is kinda producer oriented. As its sales is too little, it makes me worry about technical support like maintainance knowhow and parts. I think KPA is superb for live using. Nothing can beat it in term of dynamic and realistic sound. It is user friendly too. So, considering about market expansion to user market is an interesting one (and I think they are having meeting about this topic).

Anyway, to have or not to have, I still love KPA and thank you for those who create this amazing unit.
    Thank you you all for comments too.

• Hi,

I have been using KPA on stage for months and really love it. I have never had this great sound with very dynamic response like this before. For me, it's a real deal! However, I earn about $30 for a 1 hour show and carrying a $1600 digital device around and use it in different places makes me worry about damage, especially from electrical surge. So I have an idea about having KPA live use oriented, maybe, looks like Zoom G3. It might not be able to profile sound and can only read the profiles. The i/o has only Main and Monitor outs with send-return. Expression pedal is a plus. I would pay $500-800 for this unit. Please take my wish and consider about it.

Kui

Use a surge protected power supply?

• Kui, where are you from?
    It has never been my perception that the KPA is geared towards producers.
    In fact I have always felt it is the optimal tool for guitarists AND producers.
    The only thing that could be a misconception is that a potential user might feel he won't get good results without owning actually amps to profile.
    The opposite is true.
    I own 2 high class tube amps myself and have near to zero motivation to profile them because what's available right now is so excellent.

• Use a surge protected power supply?

Maybe, it is the best way I can do. Discussing this issue with sound engineer of a club I working for. He will provide me a UPS.

Kui, where are you from?
    It has never been my perception that the KPA is geared towards producers.
    In fact I have always felt it is the optimal tool for guitarists AND producers.
    The only thing that could be a misconception is that a potential user might feel he won't get good results without owning actually amps to profile.
    The opposite is true.
    I own 2 high class tube amps myself and have near to zero motivation to profile them because what's available right now is so excellent.

Hi Ingolf, I'm Thai. I understand your point. I also perceive KPA as a tool for guitarists. I have a tiny practice amp in my house and, even, have no amp in my condo, actually. Those amps in night clubs are too much vary and some force me to plug directly to mixer. That's why I bought KPA. In my opinion, guitarists think that they will pay too much for what they will rarely or never have chance to use--- I mean profiling amps. I also find out that the available right now is so excellent as you do, that's why I'm asking for a live version :).

Lol there's only 1 KPA in my country

T^T

live a surge protector is mandatory for all electronic equipment. I also use UPC battery backup in case of momentary power loss.

Ok, now I'm looking for a tiniest UPS. Maybe some thing like APC ES 325VA (http://www.apc.com/products/re…=BE325-JP&total_watts=200) for most mobility it can be.

• I don't think there's a lot of room for making a cheaper, slimmed down Kemper that can't create profiles but can play them.

I doubt that the hardware requirements for playing profiles are any less than those for creating profiles. Playing may even be more processor intensive.

The in- and outputs used for creating profiles double as the external effects loop, so you can't leave those out either.

• I don't think there's a lot of room for making a cheaper ...

I strongly disagree with this. The hardware is pretty cheap (e.g. around 11-14 US$ per DSP), the OS already exists. No problem to detect the device and just disable certain features, maybe reduce memory to 100 rigs capacity instead of 1000, just leave away some hardware controls or disable access to certain menus, leave away some I/O ports. The engineering effort and manufacturing cost to build a small, feature limited unit is MUCH less than you think. I'm absolutely sure they could easily produce a small device with a MSRP around US$400 - 450 and still have a very healthy revenue.

I think the actual problem is something very different to the above.
    1. Kemper has no experience in mass production and mass marketing. Everything they built so far is targeted to a smaller niche market (in terms of people willing to spend some serious money).
    2. They probably see trouble in how to explain why to buy the big Profiler as soon as there's a smaller brother with the same sonic fidelity (even with a reduced feature set).

• I think that KPA can be sold (and cannot be sold) by itself. They have no need to explain why one should buy Profile-able version. They just have to explain how much great sound the player will get by using the Live version.

If I were a rich and intelligent engineer, I will design and create a box that can read the profile and sell it as a third party, ha ha. (what a darn imagination).

• 2. They probably see trouble in how to explain why to buy the big Profiler as soon as there's a smaller brother with the same sonic fidelity (even with a reduced feature set).

I think that THIS is the question.
    Why should people buy a Profiler when many people don't make profiles at all?

• live a surge protector is mandatory for all electronic equipment. I also use UPC battery backup in case of momentary power loss.

X 1000!

I use one of these Tripp Lite LC1200 line conditioners (more than just a surge protector) at home and live:

[Blocked Image: http://www.tripplite.com/shared/product-images/med/LC1200-FRONT-M.jpg]

I use it for my tube amps as well as for my digital equipment.

Don't know if they make a model that's compatible with the OP's power system, but if they do it's well worth the investment, IMO.

I was using one of these types of units with some computer equipment at a Las Vegas trade show many years ago in a large, first-class hotel that you would think would have perfectly good power but definitely didn't. Some of the booths around me ended up with dead and/or damaged equipment, but not me! :)

Edited 2 times, last by VCuomo ().