Tubes or Transistor?

• I am going live in a couple of months, and I´ve been trying to get a hold of a rack tube poweramp instead of my trusty old 5150 which is to heavy to carry around. I play mid/high gain metal, but with the balls of a cranked metal tube amp. Now I have put my old trusty 5150 for sale and I´m now looking for a rack power amp to replace it. For most of our live jobs, I hope to go DI to the PA, but just to be sure, I want to be able to deliver the tube sound from stage, and my monitoring as well. My question is: My profile comes from a tube amp, and it has the low end balls..is it necessary to get a tube poweramp, or is a transistor good enough to amplify the "sound" of the profile?

• Hi madselhoff,

a tube power amp will add its colour to the tone. As the profiles have the colouring of an (tube)power amp already it may lead to results that you won't like. I use the power amp of my Marshall head and am content.

A neutral solid state amp will provide a somewhat more 'true' result. Search th eforum for threads dealing with power amp recommendations.

Cheers

• If you're using profiles that have the power amp "baked in" (most do- exceptions are "DI" or "preamp" profiles) I'd actually recommend NOT using a tube power amp. Almost all tube power amps will color the tone somewhat. What is generally recommended is a "flat" sounding SS power amp and class AB seems to get the most love.

• I was seconds away from buying an old Mesa 50/50, but I will hold my horses and look into solid state. I really like the profile I have, and I would love to have it amplified as it is... thanks ;)

• Well, the statement "tube amps color the sound" should be limited to guitar amps. There are lots of tube amps which are designed to be linear, and they are certainly not less linear than any SS amp. Guitar tube amps distort by design, not because of tubes' intrinsic character.
    Fact is, no amp can be completely linear and transparent, and being "tubey" is just one way to be so

:)

• My opinion is using a tube amp is a good idea. I'll be using a Mesa 20/20 in my live rig. As viabcroce mentioned, tube power amps can be just a linear as a solid state amp but I like the fact that the 20watt tube power amp I'll be using live can be pushed a bit to get a bit of tube compression (color) and that's a good thing in addition to what the profiler is providing. In my experience, getting that guitar pickup to speaker feedback thing has always been easier and more "musical" with a tube amp which has to do in part with the dynamic response and distortion characteristics of a tube power amp section. I'm sure there will be very many different opinions on this.... just giving mine. 8)

I was seconds away from buying an old Mesa 50/50, but I will hold my horses and look into solid state. I really like the profile I have, and I would love to have it amplified as it is... thanks ;)

• I'm using a solid state amp but was really close to purchasing a mesa 50/50 and these guys influenced my decision to stay away. I'm satisfied with the overall sound when I use the monitor out but mostly use my JBL PRX which sounds better.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• I'm using my kpa-rack-Version together with a tube amplifier - Reussenzehn Guitarslave 2 x 50 W, and It sounds really fantastic.
    As sad it's sounds really musical - and for me the only handycap is the weight of my guitar rig (maybe 40 kg).
    So as long as I can carry - I'll use it. :thumbup::thumbup:

greetz
    Peter

KPA-Rackversion with Line6 Powercab 112
    :thumbup: :love: :thumbup:

• holy sh.. this is getting tough :) Well most live shows I am depending on the PA direct, but for stage monitoring/rehearsal I need a power amp to drive my marshall 1960 lead cab. It doesn´t have to be top of the world sound, as I depend on the profile through the PA. I have had so many different solutions given to me like the Rocktron Velocity 300, PA power amp (think it would blow my cab?) and I still have the option of buying the old mesa 50/50… I really really love my profile as it is, but need to hear it clearly at rehearsal standing close to a hard hitting metal drummer, and as a monitor (cab) live. ..most musicians I know do not have any experience with the Kemper..only other pre-amps..but I think the Kemper is anything but the other pre-amps out there..a unique product which not many people have experience with.. thoughts?

• You won't be sorry with the Mesa 50/50 and since you already have a great guitar cabinet, a power amp is the way to go.

I don't get the desire that some have for a full range speaker considering most profiled guitar amp cabinets are not full range to begin with and roll off the high freqs anyway.

holy sh.. this is getting tough :) Well most live shows I am depending on the PA direct, but for stage monitoring/rehearsal I need a power amp to drive my marshall 1960 lead cab. It doesn´t have to be top of the world sound, as I depend on the profile through the PA. I have had so many different solutions given to me like the Rocktron Velocity 300, PA power amp (think it would blow my cab?) and I still have the option of buying the old mesa 50/50… I really really love my profile as it is, but need to hear it clearly at rehearsal standing close to a hard hitting metal drummer, and as a monitor (cab) live. ..most musicians I know do not have any experience with the Kemper..only other pre-amps..but I think the Kemper is anything but the other pre-amps out there..a unique product which not many people have experience with.. thoughts

?

• i use the velocity 300 but only use 1 side so its 150 watts instead of 300 but you could also get the velocity 100 50 watts a side

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• for practicing with my band I use a Velcity 300 - in our band there are 11 people - and it's very very loud.
    But I never had the problem to be too silent in my band. So for me the Velocity300 is
    really loud enough and a good peace of gear for that price.
    (My Practice -Setup - Kemper Rack/Velocity 300/marshall Box, Live i use Reussenzehn tubeamp 2 x 50, Kemper Rack, Marshall box)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

KPA-Rackversion with Line6 Powercab 112
    :thumbup: :love: :thumbup:

• the velocity 300 is platy loud i max the power amp and trim the monitor output if I'm jamming at low volume I'm at like -60 on the monitor out but if i go up to say -20 its loud as hell and i can't play it without ear plugs

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/f05540.jpg]
    Pro Tools HDX HD i/o 8x8x8
    SSL Nucleus
    vintech
    2 573
    2 x81
    1 609ca
    classic api 4 vp312
    Neumann kh120's
    Presonus digimax
    Furman hds-6
    splawn nitro
    gmajor 2
    kemper
    agile 727s
    yes i work at Vintech

• I don't get the desire that some have for a full range speaker considering most profiled guitar amp cabinets are not full range to begin with and roll off the high freqs anyway.

This is a common misunderstanding. A guitar cab doesn't only roll off highs, but also presents a not-flat amplitude response. Reproducing a profile through a guitar cab is like mic'ing a cab and then amplifying the signal with a guitar combo: all the frequencies would be affected by a guitar combo twice.
    This doesn't mean it can't sound good, but it will certainly not be faithful to the original profile, which is the desire most have instead.

To better explain: if the original rig had -12 dB @ 2500 Hz, I want a flat amplification system able to let me hear those -12 dB, and not a guitar system which does whatever it wants (which could be literally anything) out of them.