Les paul bridge pick up

• Hi guys,

I recently replaced the stock pick up of my les paul studio with a classic 57 but i don't i like it. I appreciate the clarity of the pick up but it's really flat.. I would like something in between the deepness of the stock pick up and the clarity of the classic.. Any advice?

• If you're wanting a bit more bass to come through (is that what you mean?) I'd try tweaking pickup height up a bit before spending any more money :)

I'd also give everyone more details on what you don't like vs what you're trying to achieve otherwise everyone will just put forward their own favourites which could get you buying more pickups you don't like....

• I would like to have more deepness in the mid-low mid range without the darkness of the stock.. Sonething halfway the stock and tge classic 57. I basically want to achieve classic rock sounds ( pearl jam, alice in chains, dave navarro..)

• I found the classic 57 somewhat dull and replaced them by Dimarzios Paf pro (neck) and Super distortion (bridge) and liked it way better. This was not in an LP. but an SG st. though,

I put a Dimarzio Super 2 in the neck of my SG and love it. I would describe it as a neck pickup for those who don't like neck pickups usually 8)

• I have a WCR Goodwood in the bridge of a Tokai LP copy. Nice all round pickup that can cover a lot of ground.
    After much swapping I finally settled on a pair of Wolfetone Dr Vintages in my 57 RI LP. They were the best vintage style paf's I've heard (i generally prefer lower output humbuckers as i find them more versatile - I add pedals for more "chug").
    For non boutique stuff I'd recommend a Dimarzio 36th Anniversary. Not a Dimarzio fan normally but that pickup is stands out from the pack and imo would do what your after.
    Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are good for general 90's tones, or for slightly higher output the always popular (but kinda boring imo) Duncan JB is a safe bet.
    I have a set of Gibson 57's here that have never found a home - for the same reasons you described.

As already mentioned, definitely spend some quality time adjusting pickup height and pole stagger before abandoning a set of pickups. Can make a huge difference. Plenty of info online for that stuff.

1000's of options really. Hope it helps though! :thumbup:

• Yeah... moving the PUs closer to the strings adds dramatic low- and mid-low end... It's like having brand new ones. Not that there aren't drawbacks, but experiment and see what you like best :thumbup:

• I've never heard of 'deepness' being used as a superlative for pickup sound, so i'll try and be general;
    Lower output pickups (like the classics) have extended highs and lows. They also 'feel' different to play so you may or may not like them - for high gain they are considered a 'session pro's secret'.
    Higher output pups (like the stock burstbuckers(?)) will be muffled and more low-mid-centric.

Bareknuckle makes awesome low and med-gain, super-clear pickups. Try the Black dog or Rebel Yell.
    Wolfetone is awesome but his forte is with alnico 2 and they too feel very different.
    Dimarzio and SD are bland to my ears but you just might fall in love - try the PAF pro for brighter tones, JB if you don't play clean or have a very gentle touch.
    Maybe a Gibson 498?

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I have a Black Dog bridge in my SG. Very organic and detailed crunch. Great for downtuned stoner tones. BKP have some metal demos of it too on the product page.
    Originally I ordered a Warpig (22k) but it was really *too much*.