Behringer FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper-chip, is it reliable for touring?

• I just bought the FCB1010 and installed the Uno4Kemper-chip, mainly for a upcoming tour in spring. The FCB1010 seems to be quite solid, although it's very inexpensive, is it reliable enough for a tour? The FCB1010 will be transported safely in a solid flightcase, what do you think?

I have to say that I like the FCB1010 and it's working perfectly with the KPA, much more comfortable than the POD HD 500 I used before (I hate midi-programming...).

I would appreciate your comments. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• I've seen many professionals using the Behringer FCB1010 over the years with a lot of different gear.
    Low price but road tested proven sturdy construction that's been around for over 10 years so it's well tested.
    I've seen Trivium and other pro bands that use the kemper playing live with the FCB1010.
    It is big but I'm sure it will do the job without problems :thumbup:

• For about a year I was dragging the KPA and the 1010 from the house to the band room and back. No flight case or bag for the 1010. Just throwed it in the back of my volvo. The only thing that went bad was a midi cable connector, because I was stepping on it. Those DIN connectors are crab. This the only thing that needs attention, IMHO.
    Any suggestion for more sturdy midi plugs?
    Now we have our own band room, and the stuff can stay there :D

• Hi Günter,

I think it is ok for a tour. As happykemper says many pro Users are seen using and relying on it. To be shure test it thoroughly in regard of switches and pedals.
    Maybe this idea is interesting for you:
    MIDI / Mains Multicore for FCB-1010

Cheers
    Helge

Hi Helge, very interesting, indeed. Where could I buy the multicore and what would it cost? I'm living in Hamburg (Germany).

Thanks for all the information here, I just bought a second FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper-chip for spare, I also have 2 KPA's (one for spare), I should be on the very safe side. I'm on big venue-tours with trucks ect., to have spares is normal and to have identical ones is the best. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi Helge, very interesting, indeed. Where could I buy the multicore and what would it cost? I'm living in Hamburg (Germany).

Thanks for all the information here, I just bought a second FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper-chip for spare, I also have 2 KPA's (one for spare), I should be on the very safe side. I'm on big venue-tours with trucks ect., to have spares is normal and to have identical ones is the best. ;)

Hi Günter,

it's DIY, i got most of the parts from Thomann, see my OP for details, i pasted the links to the products i've used. The snake takes down set up and tear down times to a very minimum, normally i just need 50 seconds and am ready to go.

• Hi Günter,

it's DIY, i got most of the parts from Thomann, see my OP for details, i pasted the links to the products i've used. The snake takes down set up and tear down times to a very minimum, normally i just need 50 seconds and am ready to go.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that there is a combi-cable available, for sure the best solution. :thumbup:

• I think there is no need to buy a backup. If it breaks down, you can buy it at nearly any music store i guess. I bought mine used about a year ago and equiped it with the uno4kemper as soon as it was available. It is heavy used but never had any problem with it (knock on wood :rolleyes: ).

• I think there is no need to buy a backup. If it breaks down, you can buy it at nearly any music store i guess. I bought mine used about a year ago and equiped it with the uno4kemper as soon as it was available. It is heavy used but never had any problem with it (knock on wood :rolleyes: ).

That's true, but:

1) If I have problems during the show one of our backliners can change the FCB1010 immediately.

2) You won't find any FCB1010s with the uno4kemper-chip in stores and I have to have the same settings.

For me a 2nd FCB1010 is a really inexpensive solution compared to other midi-controllers or studio-equipment and vintage-guitars. ;)

• Agreed - anyone doing mainstage shows has AT LEAST one spare of everything needed.

And, it sounds like a good time! Congratulations - tell us more, when you can :)

The 2nd unit is on its way, it will be exactly the same (FCB1010 with uno4kemper-chip), the tour will start on the 4th of March. My setup will be:

- guitars: 1 Gibson ES-335 cherry ('69), 1 custom shop strat, 1 Yairi nylon string, 1 Stevens custom steel string

- "amps": 2 KPA's, 2 FCB1010 with uno4kemper

- other: Vovox cables for guitars, Sommer cables for midi, 1 Polytune tuner, that's it :)

By the way: "Cloning" 2 KPA's via USB-stick is incredibly fast and easy.

• Cool rig, one question, if you're using fcb1010's with the kpa why aren't you just using the tuner in that?