OS 2.3 trouble - SOLVED

• Hello, I upgraded from 2.21 to 2.3. At the first upgrade the tone of my Boogie IIc+ Profile sounded anemic and the attack sounded very flat and sterile, you know like a POD 2.0 dynamic. Perhaps a bug during installation ? So I reinstalled the 2.21, back to heaven tone :)

Then I reinstalled the 2.3 once again, sounded way much better, very close of 2.21, but different. Was something changed in the input or something else ? I checked the output levels, the input levels, they were exactly the same. So i remembered about the space changes, cause as I play my kemper through a roland quad capture, and headphones through the soundcard, with 2.3 the space is not there anymore. Reinstalled the 2.3, set the space at zero, and the tone is thicker than with 2.3 (2.3 sounds a little more polished and with a feeling that a very slight drop in gain). Am I the only one ?

I am disappointed to be obliged to use space in a slot, as all my slots are already used, and I use space parameter as global for my spdif and main outputs... Is it not possible to keep the space in a slot, but keeping as an option the space parameter for headphone only, or for all outputs as in 2.21 ?

EDIT - Downloaded the firmware 2.3.2, did a system reset, and everything works great now. And the Space option Main or headphones only is perfect. Thanks CK team for your reactivity!!

• I was going to ask if the KPA should be upgraded or not. Maybe wait until the bugs get worked out. I was going to upgrade but now you have me spooked.

:thumbup: "A single note can be short lived but a melody will last a life time." Paul Muller

• I dont want to be a part of "the tone is off after update thread" but I have to be honest. There seems to be a tad more high end frequencies in my rigs than before this update. The update also removed some of my rigs from Performance Mode and replaced them with Initialised Rigs. Weird. I know the whole platform of the Kemper upgrades is to not change the tones. Im hoping Im just experiencing a placebo effect here. Im gonna wait until I have it hooked up to my RCF monitor before I say anymore. Im more use to hearing it through that than the KRKs here in my studio. So before someone chimes in and says "here we go again" :rolleyes: Im holding off saying its different until I investigate further. Maybe Ill try a system reset as suggested as well.

• I'm pretty sure any perceived changes in tone are just placebo effect. However I have a feeling they may have fixed the bugs with the amp block "Pick" feature, before it was clipping and in my first couple of tests it no longer causes that heavy clipping as before, if they've fixed that it's possible that the dynamic range is a little better, which might make things feel a little better, and note starts to be a little brighter sounding (shorter waves die off quicker than longer waves, thus the transients are very trebly, but if they were clipped it would just sound like a mess, but this will make the overall tone sound a tinge brighter).

(any comment on this from someone on the beta or development team?).

Right now I'm very happy with the tones I'm getting from my Kemper. If they have fixed pick then that's great!

• Ok Im not trying to tick anyone off but I really hear a difference between OS 2.1 which is what I was on, to version 2.3. I thought at first it was in the upper range, but it sounds more like a boxiness. I recorded 2 different profiles. First Pittbull and Morgan AC 20 in 2.1, then the same exact profiles in OS 2.3. For now Im staying on 2.1.

https://soundcloud.com/jeff5x0/sets/kemper

I have not done a system reset yet, so that very well could be the issue. What exactly does a system reset erase? I know it doesnt erase rigs, but does it erase anything important?

• Hmm, well that's a dramatic difference, especially the pitbull, totally different sounds. Definitely not anything to do with the transients.

Doing a system reset may fix thing, as I assume it resets the output EQ's and so on to their defaults, in this case I can see that it's possible the output EQ's have been incorrectly set (or maybe they've become unlocked/locked in 2.3).

Check your output sections first to see if that's what is going on, the other thing is that it's possible that your output cab settings have changed, so that the cab is disabled on the output in 2.1 but enabled in 2.3.

• I definitely hear a difference. I use your Mark IIC as my main rig (thank you very much :thumbup: , slightly modified) and I notice it's flatter after the update. The umph is gone. I restored back as well.

• Definitely quite a change in tone. Some spikey, trebly. Don't want to whine but just disappointed after spending much time dialing my tones then having to go back and do it all over again. Maybe I'll try a reset and see if it gets better.

• haven't updated yet, but here's the scoop on some of the reset procedures:
    http://wikpa.org/Emergency!#Initializing_global_settings

Initializing global settings is safe. The other two above this are not - I would revert to 2.1 or 2.2.1 and then backup, then reload 2.3 and then initialize global settings. If that doesn't work, wipe the flash. if that doesn't work, revert, contact support, and report back here.

• Im back at 2.1 for now. I have a really big gig this week. 2.1 is totally fine, sounds great. Maybe something changed in the setting between 2.1 and 2.2 as I went from 2.1 right to 2.3. Not sure. All I did for that sound clip was record sdif into pro tools for 2.3 first, then reverted back to 2.1 and did the same. So maybe it has something to do with spdif settings, though I didnt change anything. Im gonna get this gig out of the way Sunday, then Ill try system reset, check output, cab settings etc. Ive been updating OS since like 1.2 I think, and Ive never had any issues. And I know how these threads can get blown out of proportion, so it honestly could be some kind of user error here, though I didnt do anything differently. Hopefully Don can chime in. If all else fails, Ill send a back up to Kemper and see if they can see whats going on. Thanks for all of the feedback.

• Definitely quite a change in tone. Some spikey, trebly. Don't want to whine but just disappointed after spending much time dialing my tones then having to go back and do it all over again. Maybe I'll try a reset and see if it gets better.

It shouldn't sound different. Please open a support ticket and attach a backup of your KPA so there is a chance to analyze if there is something.

• haven't updated yet, but here's the scoop on some of the reset procedures:
    http://wikpa.org/Emergency!#Initializing_global_settings

Initializing global settings is safe. The other two above this are not - I would revert to 2.1 or 2.2.1 and then backup, then reload 2.3 and then initialize global settings. If that doesn't work, wipe the flash. if that doesn't work, revert, contact support, and report back here.

Nice trick, thanks. I'll keep it at hand in case I need it after upgrading to 2.3.

• Has anyone had an issue with the distortion loop since updating to 2.3? Mine does not seem to be working anymore.

• OS 2.3.0 Performance Autoload problems

using the FCB with UNO4K

Perf. Autoload enabled is o.k. (change performance start in slot 1)

Perf. Autoload disabled works only with bank down - bank up autoloads slot 1

bank down only shows the new performance number on the kemper screen, not on the FCB

->>> please show all the information in the kemperscreen when the next
    performance/rig is in standby (may be with an other backgroundcolor)

Perf.Autoload is allways enabled when the kemper starts new.

• Perf.Autoload is allways enabled when the kemper starts new.

No, Perf. Autoload is automatically enabled if the Uno4Kemper version 1.0 to 1.2 is being connected. These versions don't support the Performance Preselection feature. UnO will provide that functionality in later firmwares.