Rig Manager = Disappointed ?

• I couldn't get Till's Chimera pack to import, but I just figured it out. The FILE PATH needed to have the ' (that's an apostrophe) character removed. However, it was because it was one of those slanted apostrophes, not a normal one (I'm sure this was M$'s fault at some point in the line). I replaced it with a normal apostrophe (using Windows Explorer), and they imported fine.

The FILE NAME of each rig also have an apostrophe, but it's the normal kind, not the @#$@#$@#$ slanted one. I tried it every possible way and that was the issue.

• I'm not sure about the Brown Dog software. I honestly don't care how nice it looks. I don't want images and stuff. I actually think the Rig Manager looks very nice. My main concern is having powerful tools to help me organize all my crap. This is why I really like Laurent's tag editor with the ability to export a whole backup file to Excel, copy/paste to notepad++, batch edit, copy/paste back to Excel, then turn the Excel file back into a backup. It's not pretty, but it works and turns something that would take 4 hours into 4 minutes. If I could have something like that in a single program, I would cream.

So as far as Rig Manager, all I really want is an advanced search, a true undo w/ history, displaying at least the rig creation date tag (and preferably also amp/cab creation dates as well - not sure if these actually work tho), and some kind of way to know if two rigs share the same exact amp/cab (even if I modify the amp/cab name tags). I'll rely on the Tag Editor for anything else.

I think all the bugs added to my frustration, but I'm sure the Kemper team will fix them. I'm not one of those I need it now people. As I said I'm just a little flabbergasted at some of the stuff I'm experiencing. Wrapping cursors?! Edits not committing?! No error messages on failed imports or other operations, or sometimes meaningless error messages.

As far as batch editing, I may just write my own program. I've been looking at the .kipr midi structure and Laurent's Tag Editor source code; and I have all the info I need to get it done. I just want to take all the different naming conventions and translate them into a standardized set of names, so everything sorts correctly, then use that to automate the rig names.

I will say this. Using Rig Manager to audition Rig Exchange profiles is WAY easier. What I'm doing is trying to collect every possible profile of this or that amp, then reamping DI's through them to do some shoot-outs. I will probably end up trying to automate Rig Manager and Reaper, so I can set it up for say 6 dozen profiles and just let it run. That's why I want advanced search and renaming abilities - I want to be able to find all profiles for X amp but nothing more. Since there's so many different naming conventions, I need to use regex or at least some simple boolean logic. But I'll probably just suck it up and comb through them manually.

Also, I understand I'm well outside of the typical use case for this software. What I'm aiming to accomplish is very ambitious and likely unnecessary for the casual user.

• It's a public beta. The point being to allow users to go over it, find problems, give suggestions, and yield a stable and more useful product.
    The "I know it's beta, but..." is like saying "I know it's a baby, but... I'm disappointed/frustrated/etc it can't walk the dog."

The alternative would be to give... nothing. No Librarian, and no feedback from us during development, and therefore back to the drudgery
    and hours of downloading, organizing, loading, editing, and previewing. The fact is, this Rig Manager, as it is, saves us a hours already.

Do I have wishes of what a mature Librarian would be capable of? Hell yeah.
    I wish more tags were shown so I could edit them. We will all add our critiques. And should.

Am I disappointed? What kind of talk is that?
    I'm happy the RM was even offered this early. It's a thing called: "being grateful"

If I were a Kemper programmer reading this drivel I'd think 'You know what? F$#K THEM.
    Let them wait another year until we have a stable kick-ass Librarian if they're just gonna whine
    about being allowed to have it now and be a part of it's development"

So stop spoiling such an opportunity for us to be active members in it's development and
    yield to the tried and true trial process that is called "Beta" and give the product it's due time to mature.

• So if I was a Kemper programmer and released a buggy and rather-limited piece of software after what, a year and a half, and a few people on a forum said they were disappointed, the appropriate professional response would be to abandon the software to spite their customers? I can only imagine how quickly I'd be looking for a new job if I took this approach with my career.

The Kemper team (a) has thicker skin than that and (b) would not change their business/development plans based on the gripes of a few people on a forum.

I think they know this isn't their crowning achievement. If I can find 5 bugs within the first hour of real-life use of the software, it shouldn't have left alpha yet. Cloud-based Rig Exchange is definitely a huge step in the right direction. And USB-based rig loading to KPA is great, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking its innovative or difficult - every other digital guitar product features something comparable, even stuff 1/10th the price of the KPA. Tag editing and lists are rather basic stuff. It IS disappointing that this is what was released, after all this time, compared to the polished nature of the KPA software (before 2.3).

Maybe I'm late to the party and earlier firmware was buggy as heck, but I just expected something better. I understand bugs where real world users have different hardware/OS, etc. but these are universal bugs that are hard to miss if you actually use the software.

This is the only time I've had a strong negative opinion of Kemper. Normally I'm strongly praising them or at least giving them a pass. And I give back to the community. And I'm going to keep doing so. If that doesn't earn me the right to express my occasional negative opinion, then I guess I should go get an Axe II and go to the Fractal forum where at least I already know I'm not allowed to say anything negative about Fractal. Or I can go back to Line 6, where they provide a form I like to call the "black hole" where you can complain all you want - it's never acknowledged or acted upon.

I gave examples and specifics. That should be helpful to the Kemper team. Heck, I even provided a workaround for one issue. I certainly didn't sneak in, drop a deuce on the forum, and walk away laughing.

• Would be more productive to send them to the point bug descriptions and possibly repro steps instead tldr rants ;) (don't get me wrong I am guilty of this myself).
    It's a beta, if we continue vitriol like that we won't get any in the future.

• My disappointed feeling is more because I ahd great expectation since the NAMM annoucement. The tool is still too limited from my point of view, but it is on a good way : the preview mode over USB is a must have, the connection (and auto update) to the rig exchange is also a good thing. I just expected a littel more than these bith great feature.

• in my opinion everybody here can express what they feel unless it becomes unfair or personal. we also should level our expectations about rig manager. it will never be a software which will suite everybody's requirements. actually i can't because we (as a company) have limited resources and time. i'm sure, if there's enough people asking for a specific feature, somebody will either write a third party program to accommodate the need or we will think about implementing it.
    best, gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• For me, it's exceeded expectations on balance. Yes, it's buggy but it is a beta so that goes with the territory.

Before I had it, I was hoping for an editor (all those years of Line 6 editing software followed by Guitar Rig burn in to the brain!).

I have more than forgive though - the preview function which talks to rig exchange is superb. I didn't 'see this coming'. It's one thing that Kemper often seem to do - come up with something that you don't even know you want which is so good you wonder how you got by without it.

Before you write me off as a fanboy, I will again say 'spring reverb' and 'delay stomps please' which I would have thought should be in a system like this 2 years down the line.

But credit where it's due - this software makes life with the Kemper even better IMO and I'm happy with it and the potential it has to improve.

• My RM is really slow, takes like a eternity to load rigs over and delete takes even more time... Wtf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• +1 for the spring verb and delay stomp!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I couldn't get Till's Chimera pack to import, but I just figured it out. The FILE PATH needed to have the ' (that's an apostrophe) character removed. However, it was because it was one of those slanted apostrophes, not a normal one (I'm sure this was M$'s fault at some point in the line). I replaced it with a normal apostrophe (using Windows Explorer), and they imported fine.

The FILE NAME of each rig also have an apostrophe, but it's the normal kind, not the @#$@#$@#$ slanted one. I tried it every possible way and that was the issue.

Thanks. I reported this happening, but didn't think to look for an undigestible character. Good work!

• My disappointed feeling is more because I ahd great expectation since the NAMM annoucement. The tool is still too limited from my point of view, but it is on a good way : the preview mode over USB is a must have, the connection (and auto update) to the rig exchange is also a good thing. I just expected a littel more than these bith great feature.

I've got some old time philosophy for this. A better RM won't cure. A change in thinking will:

Problems:
    1) Tao says "Expectations lead to Disappointments" <--- true dat
    2) Buddha says "Human Desire is Infinite" <--- we call it GAS, but double true dat

Cures:
    1) If people can just go with the flow, they'd enjoy what unfolds as a nice surprise, not a personal letdown.
    2) If people can tame their desires, they will find happiness in moderation, and not unhappiness, in an ideal unfulfilled. Because it CAN NEVER BE fulfilled. That's the human condition of endless desire we are all born with, but a few learn to tame.

• I will only point out that there are definitely methods to get disappointments across that can be taken as constructive and not confrontational. There are many that do jump on the defensive bandwagon when anyone says something that can be construed as negative.......which is as equally frustrating as those whining all the time (...another thread already beat to death). I in no way express or imply that either is taking place in this thread, but has often taken place in other threads. I had some ideas of what might be included in the Rig Manager as everyone will have their preconceived ideas and hopes. After you've expressed your opinion and wishes let it settle a while and come back to it. From my perspective it has allowed two things which previously were painstakingly slow. Sampling rigs quickly as well as deleting rigs quickly. I've cleaned many rigs from my KPA using the shift-arrow-delete key on the keyboard versus the single arrow button and delete (I had just left them on since it took so long to cycle through them). Some of the other points raised are valid and would be a welcome implementation.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

Edited once, last by bshaw92 ().

• Hopefully now that Kemper Has made it clear that development of a Editor is not coming,

that this opens a door for a individual or group will take on a commercial project to produce

this software. :thumbup:

• Post of the day!!! Thanks! :thumbup:

• I have the Kemper and an eleven rack. By coincidence, they both put out stand alone editors at the same time. The one for the Eleven rack is perfect. It does everything, you can control it all, except the library which is kinda weird. But, and this is a big one, they are done with the unit otherwise. Its not a bad unit at all but it is lacking in terms of amps and effects.

The Kemper editor is a big help but it is only a library editor. I'll take it as I really needed something to manage all of the profiles. Meanwhile they keep upgrading the effects and usability of the kemper. I'll be honest, I can't keep up. There are so many effects now that I have not tried and I'm sure I'm going to find some new/old profiles now with the editor.

The kemper has enough knobs that I guess I don't really need a full blown USB interface. I'm used to it now and like the portability without being a slave to a computer. I never got used to using the eleven rack that way, it was to confusing.

• Finally got around to installing Parallels 7 after purchasing it 2 years ago (I KNEW I'd have reason to run Windows someday, haha!). Rig Manager has just installed and is syncing with the Rig Exchange and I am giddy as a kid at Christmas! Can't wait to try the new preview feature!

Bugs at this stage I can sure as heck live with when the new feature is such a KILLER!

Cheers,
    Sam