Best Profiles for Death Metal

• Hey guys,
    after playing with the factory content a long time, I finally want to spend some money.
    I noticed that I really like the free Tonehammer-profiles when playing alone, they sound so great. In rehearsal situations and when playing to a song via Aux, they just don't cut very well though.
    In metal situations, I mainly play a sevenstring tuned down to A (Ibanez RG1077 XL), so I might have to use the EQ options in the KPA more carefully. Keith Merrow-profiles seem to sit better in the mix, at least for my specific setup.

This leads to two questions:
    1. Can you recommend some profiles which are designed to sound good in a band situation without a lot of tweaking, with downtuned guitars and the need for precise sounding death metal riffing?
    2. Do you know of any KPA-tutorial which helps me utilising the different EQs to tweak profiles to my needs? I have been avoiding this topic all my guitar playing life and haven't even set a LoCut so far. ^^

I hope all of this made sense and I appreciate any help.

• We really need to learn the definition and clarity settings not to mention the pick up and Eqing FIRST
    or whats the point of getting a profile?

Just guessing that Sin or tonehammar etc will have one that will suit??
    THEY HAVE PLENTY, But most of them will take a small bit of refining.
    Why get one or 2 profiles when you can potentially have more and possibly make them better?

So clarity , definition, pick up and Eqing.
    THEN CAB....

In saying that I can mention
    NO PARTICULAR ORDER OR PREFERENCE OR WHO IS THE BEST.
    in Fact all of them have their own strengths and i use ALL of them

Stymphalian
    Sin's Death metal pack
    Tonehammar
    Reamp zone death metal pack
    Double Impact.
    Choptones
    Cili Labs
    Kosten
    Jevo

ALL of them have unique death metal presets.
    BUT, its best we learn how to tweak them FIRST.
    Are you using the active EMG's?

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Alright:

1. ToneHammer, Stymphalian, Double Impact Ultimate Profile Bundle (Mendel from Aborted co-worked on it), SinMix - just look for the amps you enjoy and listen to some samples and you'll get some seriously great profiles

2. Don't really know about any tutorials BUT when EQing I'm always on the side of doing as little as possible. My advice would be to use the graphical EQ in the X-slot and then do a high and low cut and then play around with the mids - once you like how the guitar tone comes out try to play with your band and take out the high and low cut filters but leave the mid-tweaking in, then adjust the high and low cuts until the guitar cuts through perfectly in your live situation.

• I actually never touched these parameters, thanks for the heads up! That's what I thought, the great Profiles are there, they just need some refinement according to the given situation.

Alright:

1. ToneHammer, Stymphalian, Double Impact Ultimate Profile Bundle (Mendel from Aborted co-worked on it), SinMix - just look for the amps you enjoy and listen to some samples and you'll get some seriously great profiles

2. Don't really know about any tutorials BUT when EQing I'm always on the side of doing as little as possible. My advice would be to use the graphical EQ in the X-slot and then do a high and low cut and then play around with the mids - once you like how the guitar tone comes out try to play with your band and take out the high and low cut filters but leave the mid-tweaking in, then adjust the high and low cuts until the guitar cuts through perfectly in your live situation.

Aborted sounded great last year, even open air! The advertisment vids played by Mendel give me serious GAS for the DI profiles.

Great EQ-advice, I'll totally give this a go, setting the basic character first and dealing with the cut-through later at the rehearsal place. Thanks alot!

• Lets us know how you go brother, be interested to see some brutality :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Right now I'm playing F***** With A Knife (and Freezing Moon haha) through Sinmix' MG Raven using you guy's tweaking advice. Sounds great playing to the original records set to my pitch. Very promising so far, wish I'd be at the rehearsal place with my band.

Btw, I missed your PU-question, sorry: There are passive Dimarzio Custom 7s in my Ibby. I'm not the biggest fan of active pickups, but the DiMarzios sound a bit muddy, I'm thinking about switching to Evolution 7s for a bit more bite.

• Great , i was only asking because some profiles sound better with the actives(i have been keeping a list), i have a 2016 Loomis with black outs , VERY hot man.....but okay. Loomis is insane. Glad you got it happening my friend :)
    also thanks for the heads up on the Sinmix' MG Raven, will give it a shot brother

Ash

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• G1 Productions 5150iii, Blue 2 profile specifically. Holy shit. It's the same rig (5150 iii with a Zilla Fatboy 2X12) that Periphery used to record Juggernaut and it sounds fucking MONSTROUS while still being ridiculously precise and clear. Far and away the best profile I own. I always come back to it and it's going to be the main tone on the album I'm recording.

• I just tried Dans Framus
    Now i have no nuts they are crushed

Thanks a lot Dan. :love:

Ash

• Funny I was playing some Death Metal on my new Ibanez MTM100 when I read this thread. I agree with most of what the others have said. There are tons of options and boosting mids a little goes along way. I'm a big fan of Tonehammer (look up Deadlight Studios on the Rig Exchange) as well Game of Tones/ . I have their Splawn Nitro pack and it's killer.

But even then, death metal is so varied it depends on what you want. You want a nice tight, clear sound like tech-death? You want a buzzy, raw Swedish sound? You want a chainsaw tone for the brutal death? Maybe a sludgy-thick tone for slower doomy death? So many ways to go...

• Reampzone has a Krank Rev and a 6505 that are tops for me. His death metal pack is more for Swedish type death as is chainsaw and raw sounds, it's good fun and great but for more modern death I prefer the other two.

Is there any difference to that and the free one they have on the rig exchange?

• Great to see some new people found this thread! I always forget to mention the Origin Audio Bogner Pack I recorded a sample track for a while ago. Extremely tight and incredibly crushing stuff. Quad-tracking with the Uberschall from Origin and the 6505 from ToneHammer basically sounds like an oversized fist hitting your face over and over again. Love it

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Great to see some new people found this thread! I always forget to mention the Origin Audio Bogner Pack I recorded a sample track for a while ago. Extremely tight and incredibly crushing stuff. Quad-tracking with the Uberschall from Origin and the 6505 from ToneHammer basically sounds like an oversized fist hitting your face over and over again. Love it

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This sounds awesome!

Here is some stuff I've been working on. I just got my Kemper a couple of weeks ago and I'm pretty much addicted. Anyways, this is the ENGL Tonehammer by Deadlight studios.

External Content soundcloud.com