Yamaha DXR 10 - First experiences

• Just got my DXR 10 yesterday.

First of all....I'd like to thank everybody here for sharing their experiences in this fantastic forum. Special tanks to Ingolf for his video comparisons.

I really wanted to get the passive CLR Cabinet from Atomic but shipment costs (in case I don't like them) and the feeling that I would keep the DXR for uses w/o the Kemper as well made me buy the DRX first. Maybe I'll get a CLR later on.

I also was not sure if the Kemper Power Amp will be loud enough with a passive cabinet.

My settings:
    All DSP's off, switch set to line (not mic), I use the line in input.

Sound:
    I really, really like the sound at different volumes! Clean and crunch sounds work very well. Even high gain sounds (e.g. palm muted power chords) sound very well. Very nice bass as well. And....it can be super loud! SUPER LOUD!

Absolutely a winner so far.

The only negative point is the hiss/noise that comes from the DXR itself. I can not recommend this speaker if you only want to use it at low volumes. The noise ist very annoying.

As soon as you play loud....you don't here it at all....most of my tube amp make actually more noise.

It's probably tube amp noise simulation by Yamaha :P

Next step: Try it out with band during rehearsal...many great sounding setups have been failing badly in the past when playing live.....

Cheers,

Rainer

• I'm also using the DXR 10 on my Kemper. But for me this is not a real solution. Just this morning I did another side by side compare with my Bogner Alchemist Amp with the Kemper added via the effect return.
    The DXR 10 makes me feel like having not a direct access to the amp where e.g. playing the Kemper over the Bogner gives the same feeling like playing a real amp.
    Tube Amps have a big advantage over the Kemper-DXR 10 combination in terms of play resonsibility and feel of the overall tone generation.

Over the last weeks I found out that the Kemper sounds and works best by using the headphones. Here you really get the ideal sounds and the best playability.
    I can everyone encourage to play a real (Tube) Amp from time to time, then you will know what I mean. ;)

As a recording tool the Kemper is actually the best device on the market, there is not doubt. But using it with anything else and getting the perfect sound, is not yet on the market.

I know that my reply will not be very popular for the majority of this forum, but this is how I personally see it.

Enjoy playing and rocking :)

• No problem with your opinion.;)

This is the old paradigm 'amp in the room' vs. 'sound of the recorded amp'.
    There's no 'better', it' just different and it always will be.

Although I fire up my Marshall full stack or my Vox AC 30 from time to time I've come to the conclusion that I like my sound with the profiler through my Atomic CLR better now.
    Wider sound dispersion, less beam, better consistency.

At the moment I don't think I want to bring my tube amps to a gig again.
    I'm assimilated I guess.
    But both preferences are of course valid and always will be. ;)

• True. A good tube amp in a perfect setup can sound better than the Kemper with a good speaker.

But...in many cases it doesn't. I had many, many occasions when I was not happy with my tube amps. Or not happy with my pedal board or not happy with the miked amp sound going to the audience. Or not happy with the miked sound of the tube amp on recordings.

I guess this is the cause of all the innovations in the amp space: Not so happy guitar players :)

You have to sum up al the Pro/cons in all categories that are important to you!

That's why some people only use Kemper for recording while other use it for everything.

My goal is to completely switch to using the Kemper for all areas...an interesting journey :)

• Using a good XLR cable to my DXR10 I don't have any audio hum. But I have read of some users with this trouble, so try different inputs or cables. And cross those fingers! :)

There is a little fan hum, that was louder when I first got it. I tapped on the exterior by the fan and it changed to just a tiny purr. The louder fan noise hasn't come back. And if you move your hand above the fan vents, you can greatly reduce the small noise while still allowing air intake, so if that sound bothers you, I think it could be minimized even more by altering the air flow.

I've been using mine in stereo with an active CLR. If money were (more) of an issue, I'd be okay selling the CLR for a second DXR.

I use a bit of piezo acoustic tones and occasionally guitar synth sounds, so the FRFR / DXR rules compared to a regular guitar cab with my usage.

At rehearsal, if it's not working for you, don't forget to move it around, decouple it from the floor, etc. My CLR only sounds good in monitor position!

• Funny you should mention the hiss going away when you tapped the back. About 3 months ago I was playing my kemper through my DXR and the hiss was very very quiet I kind of for got about it but then it suddenly got louder???? I did think this was strange though and still do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• For me I have to agree with Ingolf , this is truly as inspiring combination

• Just came back from the first rehearsal with the Kemper + DXR10. It rocks!
    I was really happy and my band mates as well.
    Good sound, fits perfectly in the mix.

We're recording all of our rehearsals...so this was a home run for the Kemper.

I just wonder how many Percent a CLR would be better....

I want to have the same setup at home (just schlepping the Kemper back and forth).
    So I either buy a second DXR for my house or....try a CLR first.

Will the CLR be 1% better? 5%? 50% ????

• Glad to hear you're happy! I spent a few hours today playing, and coming up with new tones, really loving it. My Kemper honeymoon just doesn't seem to want to go away.

Will the CLR be 1% better? 5%? 50% ????

Of course this comes under personal preference. But have I spent a lot of time comparing my CLR wedge, DXR10, and my QSC K8. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I would say with a guitar signal, used in monitor position, they're something like 7% DIFFERENT. Best to worst: CLR, DXR, K8.

I found the biggest difference when used with full range music in backline position, cranked, with more like 40% difference.
    Best to worst: K8, DXR, and a distant CLR.

I tried lots different placements, rear panel settings, etc. and had a bunch of different ears listening over a couple weeks of listening tests.

The K8 and DXR are much more portable than the CLR. Considering it would cost me more money with shipping just to have my CLR converted to a lighter Neo version than what I spent on either of the other speakers, I would easily pick either one over the CLR.
    With the rave reviews I thought I had to try the CLR. Well I did. The CLR is just used at home. The k8 is 27 lbs and a tiny footprint. It's up and down stairs to and from the gig, and I've been full time gigging for 17 years and approaching 50 years old... Love carrying the k8! ;)

To repeat, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. They're all a great choice. This is all subjective. Buy a second DXR...

;)

• hiss or no hiss ??? thats the question???

i think, even if there is a small variance in the quality of the dxr10 - and even if some have a little bit more hiss
    than others ---- the dxr10 are not build for bedroom level playing - if you do that, take some good studio monitors.

the dxr10 monsters are for high high high volume levels thats where they blossom out ;)

• For "bedroom" level at home I either use my Studio Monitors or my little Vox Nightrain.
    I use the DXRs for rehearsal, gigs and to tweak my tone at home.

I'll get a second DXR!

Thanks for your help!

• Update: Got my second Yamaha DXR 10 today!

One will stay at the rehearsal room. One is at home. I am just carrying the Kemper and the FCB 1010 foot controller back and forth. Soooo nice!