5150 fender version??

• Must admit I've never been a major amp addict. Had a JCM800 for years loved it. Then hand a 30th Anniversary head found that quite good, but the other day I walked in to my local music shop just for a browse and a chat and they were raving about the fender 5150 and just as they were telling me about it a customer walked in and wanted to try it. They rigged it up to a standard Marshall cab and I stayed to listen. The guy was playing a mid priced ibanez through it and it sounded awesome. I've searched the rig exchange and there are plenty of 5150's out there but how do I no which one it is as I understand there are numerous versions of this amp and I know peavey done one.

If any one has any free profiles of the fender one and would like to share that would be great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• EVH 5150 is fender 5150 or 5153 or 5150 III. All those are good. But in my mind nothing beats the oldest blockletter version pf peaveys 5150. Or even better a variaced/mid cap boosted marshall plexi.

• There are about profiles of the 5153 throughout the forum and rig exchange, you should have no problem finding one that you like haha. I personally very much like the 5153's from lasse's rig pack.

• 5150 is almost the most modelled amp ever on all systems (only beaten by rectifiers). A lot of bands uses it, but mostly metalcore/melodic death metal bands. It has a specter from classic rock to bone shattering metal.

• Peavey made 2(3) 5150s. Peavey 5150 (and blockletter) and Peavry 5150 II (5152).
    6505 and 6505+ is almost the same amps with only minor changes to tubes and effects loop ect.
    They had to change the name of the amp when Eddie went all Fender.

Peavey made 2(3) 5150s. Peavey 5150 (and blockletter) and Peavry 5150 II (5152).
    6505 and 6505+ is almost the same amps with only minor changes to tubes and effects loop ect.
    They had to change the name of the amp when Eddie went all Fender.

Thank you. I'm so out of touch with amps didn't realise that until in the local music store

What was the difference between the two peavey 5150's??? Anything at all ??

• AFAIK the 5152 has more definition in the high-end and less low end and some thicker mids.

But thats just what I heard.

• Difference on the inside of the amp is one extra gain stage on the 5152. Also it has some less values for bass cap and higher cap value on first gainstage. This all equals less bassy tones, more fizzy high ends and less distortion, but more volume. However 5152 has a lot better cleans than 5150. Almost fenderish. And EVH has always been known for a super trebly tone with little bass anyways so it suited him good. However for metal 5150 all the way. The newer fender one is a mix of those two. Good cleans and thight distorted tone.

Edit: 5150 have more of an american mesa kind of chug to it, almost like a mark 3/rectifier and the 5152 is very similar to the Marshall Dsl/tsl series on chrunch and lead channels

Difference on the inside of the amp is one extra gain stage on the 5152. Also it has some less values for bass cap and higher cap value on first gainstage. This all equals less bassy tones, more fizzy high ends and less distortion, but more volume. However 5152 has a lot better cleans than 5150. Almost fenderish. And EVH has always been known for a super trebly tone with little bass anyways so it suited him good. However for metal 5150 all the way. The newer fender one is a mix of those two. Good cleans and thight distorted tone.

Thank you Sleepdead :)

• Gotta definitely disagree with the " 5153 is a mix of the II and the original" comment... They are absolutely nothing alike.

The 5153 is much more smooth, compressed and even sounding. It probably has( If that's even possible, definitely not needed) more gain than the original 5150. It also has a much tighter bass response. It may not seem as " aggressive" sounding as it much smoother but it it every bit as thick if not thicker in the low mids. Honestly I don't think you can even really compare them: the 5153 is a 3 channel amp with a great middle (blue) channel that is very Marshally, and an almost fender like clean tone on channel 1. Just an all around great amp, and to me probably the best and most versatile amp made in the big market amp company under 2k.

Also the 6505 and 5150 for the 100000th time, is the same amp, god I wish that rumor would die.
    The 6505+ and 5150 II are also the same amp.
    And last but not least, the most terrible and hillarious misconception and lie in the amp world of all time: THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE BLOCKLETTERS AND THE SIGNATURE HEADS, PERIOD. The block letters were shipped with really hot Chinese tubes...that's it.

• It was channel 2 the guy in the shop was playing and I just loved that tone it sounded awesome very very smooth and very clear the definition was excellent

• VESMedic speaks the truth. There's even a wikipedia article on those myths where you can find references to back it up.

Instead of reading about the tonal differences of the 3 different amps, just go on the Rig Exchange and start trying them!!!! There's TONS and TONS of profiles of all of these amps out there. Personally I like the 5150 over the 5150 II. I don't have much interest in their clean tones - other amps do it better IMO. I consider the 5150 III a different amp altogether, although it definitely works for similar genres of music. Lots more versatility - and all the tones are good.

• Last week found a 5150 iii for a price i couldn't say no to. Got home played it, then played the loomis 5150iii profile and it sounded exactly the same. Left me wondering why i even bought the amp in the first place. Now its collecting dust while i abuse my kemper

• Ok I've scanned the rig exchange and tried most of them out. Must admit alot of them were too thrashy more my liking I'm not a metal player. I've got TAF 5150 from pack 2 and I've found a profile in there that sounds quite good but its the 3rd channel. When I was in the shop the guy was playing channel 2 of the fender 5150 which sounded awesome. Can't seem to find one that sounds like that though

• yeah, 5150/6505 is synonomous with metal (thrash metal), even though Peavey designed the amp for EVH (hair metal - ;)). By itself, if you turn down the gain and boost mids, you'll get a more moderate and warm tone. But most metalheads decided the amp could be even tighter and brighter and started boosting it with TS's or other pedals. Then it becomes a clanky beast, which I happen to like when using a 7 string, but kills 6 string/lead applications.