Kemper Power Rack and FRFR speakers

• Okay so I have a kemper power rack and run it into a marshal 4x12 cab right now. But after listening to several demo's i really like the sound that frfr speakers put out. I'm not sure what model to go with. I want something that sounds really good and is loud enough for most all monitoring needs live at medium to large venues. Since I have the powered version of the kemper I was wondering if I need the active frfr speakers. I don't really understand. I am mostly conserned about sound quality, volume, and not blowing the speakers. Thanks for the help

• I have the Kemper PowerHead as well but I still went with the active Atomic CLR. As has been mentioned many times in here the built-in power amp on the CLR is engineered to work with that specific monitor and so it produces the optimum audio quality. Of course if you go this route do be sure to switch off the power amp in the Kemper and run your connection from the Monitor Output into your FRFR monitor rather than out of Speaker Output. Also make sure you have Cab Simulation set to on (it would normally be clicked off when running to a guitar speaker cab).

Not really sure about the real difference in audio quality between the active and passive CLR but for the relatively small difference in price (to me anyway -- I realize to many it isn't very small at all) I went for the best. I am really happy with the results. It is noticeably cleaner than my Earcandy 1x12 with a Scholz Sugarcone, a great guitar speaker in its own right.

Search the forum for other ideas on FRFR as there are a number of other good options as well.

• I've tried. I've been looking and so far I just don't know what to do. I'm a bit concerned that alot of the mentioned ones are not gonna be loud enough for venues my band plays. Our drummer is pretty loud. As I understood it, it would be better to use the power amp in the kemper. But any suggestions for the best sounding speaker for this setup with lots of volume? no budget for now, i just wanna know whats out there. Thanks.

• What I particularly like about the active monitor solution (DXR10) is the 2 separate input channels (actually there are 3). This way I can have my Profiler on 1 channel and on the other channel I can get a mix-minus (n-1) e.g. from FOH and do my own volume mix right on the backpanel of the monitor. Of course, you might think you don't want to deal with this and leave it to FOH to do your final monitor mix. Fine. But I often find this pretty handy.
    This and the fact that an active monitor is a proven and reliable combination of power amp and speakers made me go this route instead of buying a powered Profiler.

• +1 for a (passive) CLR. Of course the internal amp is optimized for the system, but Kemper's poweramp's quality is top notch. I don't believe you'd be disappointed, both level-wise or quality-wise. And you can save bucks with the passive version, doing for an extremely compact, no-compromise, lightweight but powerful rig. If you go for the neodymium version you'll be able to save 5 more kg for each cab!

:)

• I have been like you Silvertonekid. I bought the KPA powerrack because I have 2 4x12 cabs and 2 2x12 cabs so I really didn't want to buy a FRFR. But after looking on the forum and checking out youtube I was feeling gas for a FRFR. I have a great relation with the local music store manager so he let me use a used Yamaha DXR12 for a few days and I have to say I really didn't like it, most likely just different then my Marshall 4x12(2 vintage 30's in a x-pattern). I didn't use it live just in a band setting and I'am sure with more tweaking and time I may have liked them.

I'am leaning toward the Atomic CLR passive but may pass because I get nothing but compliments on my tone thru my cabs. With all the profiled on the rig exchange and great profiles to buy you will find great sounds with your cab. Try DO profiles they are great just not a lot of them. Also not sure what speakers are in your Marshall most likely G12T-75's which sound like a blanks thrown over your cab you may try switching out 2 speakers to vintage 30's. wow what a awesome tone. goodluck

• Thanks for the responces. Thus far I'm thinking going the atomic CLR and getting the cabinet version passive and the wedge version active for the monitor out. How does the watts of these speakers affect the sound? I believe the kemper is 300 watts (RMS) @ 16 Ohms and 600 watts (RMS) @ 8 Ohms. The other one I was lookin at was the Matrix passive 212frfr, and the Blueamps 212fr (but I couldn't tell if these were passive or active). Before I pull the trigger, I'm gonna wait a bit to see if theres anything new from Winter NAMM 2014 regarding frfr speakers. Looking forward to the suggestions and if anyone on the forums went, let me know of anything cool!!

• The CLRs are an extremely advanced project. Hard to see a competitor in their price range that will sound better (i.e., more linear and transparent) in the next future. If you like the concept, go for them/it.

• I don't even know if the CLR's are an option. Ive sent them several email's about being put on their list but no response to tell me they got my email, or what number I am in line. I'm thinking about going with a Matrix fr212 passive cab or a xitone 2x12 passive cab. Anyone have experience with these cabs or wedges?

• I'am looking at the Xitone passive 2x12. The Matrix FR212 is 4 ohms so that's a no go with the KPA. I read a review on the Atomic CLR vs the Xitone and he gave the edge to Atomic but said if your looking for a guitar cab feel go with the Xitone. He said they are very close and that was a Xitone 1x12 wedge.

• Oh ya, forgot that matrix won't work because the kemper isn't rated for 4 ohms. I have no idea how long the wait is for atomics, and honestly I have no experience with this, but I think i may like the feel of the xitone just cuz its like a hybrid between frfr and guitar cab. I can't believe there are no new options from winter namm, thats really depressing. Anyways, right now I'm thinking about going with the Xitone 2X12...

• My wait on the CLR was 2 months (Oct 30 - Jan 1). My first email to Atomic didn't draw a response. My second one which inquired as to whether the first one was received and the status was replied to with apologies and an assurance that I was on the list. So yes, it can be hit and miss at first. Keep following up until they confirm you are on the Reserved List. Following this initial bump in the road everything after that was smooth sailing and I really like the active wedge which seems made to order for the Kemper. So if you can afford the slightly higher price and can afford to wait a couple of months (could be less now, I don't know), by all means do so.

• Hope this helps. I talked today with Mick at Xitone and here are some specs of the passive 212 cab.

500watt RMS and 1000 watts program

4 ohms mono or 8 ohms stereo. He can do it 16 ohms mono too

He will install a switch that will remove the FRFR features for a more guitar cab feel. removes crossover and tweeters

2 to 3 week wait

includes a 3dp pad switch to pull the tweeter back

1 year on parts and 7 years on speakers

• If I was to go to a passive solution with my new powered rack, then I'd probably go with the Matrix stuff myself as well, or the Xitone, which also looks great! I know that everyone is on and on about the CLRs but getting hold of one of those is a crapshoot at best and I'd rather get something that I know will arrive in a fair time. I've emailed twice (once in Dec and another in Jan.) and nothing at this point, so forget that nonsense.

A friend has one of the Matrix units from a year back and he got in in a very reasonable amount of time and continues to enjoy it to this day.

Edited once, last by PBGas ().

• So I ended up getting a xitone 2x12 passive cabinet for my backline. I decided to not go with the matrix because the kemper doesn't get 4ohms, and the matrix is only that. Anyways, I finally got a hold of the atomic people. I'm now on the list, but may or may not be getting the the CLR depending on my needs further down the line. If I did get one I would get the active wedge version to run out from my kemper monitor out. The CLR's as I understand are supposed to be a little flatter responce than the xitone. My conclusion was to buy the xitone because I have have a feeling that the xitone is gonna sound like a hybrid between the feel of a guitar cabinet and the sound of frfr speaker style. People with experience correct me if I'm wrong. I will do a review once I get the xitone passive 2x12 cabinet in a few weeks. Thanks

• The CLR's as I understand are supposed to be a little flatter responce than the xitone.

Not only this. The CLR is the first coaxial cab with a phase-coherent response from the loudspeakers. It's like having a single loudspeaker instead of two, but with the extended range of the two :)