[Review] The Amp Factory Engl pack

• Well, i've often said that this board is very short on reviews but never did anything to amend - so here's hopefully the first of many.
    If you can, spend 10 minutes and write your own impressions and in a week or two you could search for an amp or profile here and know what you're up against.

First up would be Andy's Engl pack which i've received to demo.
    For clarification's sake, i wasn't asked to review anything. My agreement with Andy ended when i handed him the demo.
    However, there are no demos or reviews anywhere for the pack (not yet, anyway) so i figured i'd kickstart it.
    You can hear the demo here.

Pros:

• Very balanced and very, very easy to mix
    • Great, naturally compressed lows; even volume when palm muting
    • Fairly subtle variations in character between profiles
    • The Retrotube 8)

Cons:

• Engl cleans aren't fully represented.
    • Crunch sounds are a bit stiff (as on the originals)
    • Can sound a little 'generic' out of a mix context. Bedroom warriors beware.

Now, i don't always jive with Andy's heavier offerings. The man has golden ears and amazing gear (and a superb attitude, by the way), but he's admittedly not a metal player -
    however these amps sit so well in a dense mix that it's impossible to miss them, which makes for an easy mix-job;
    For the demo i took the RBM LEAD07 profile, bumped the mids to 1.0, power sagging on 6.2 and direct mix on 0.6, then used the studio EQ to cut 8dB from 12Khz upwards. No further processing.
    Bass was my Carvin DC727 transposed down through Andy's freebie Ampeg SVT and a VST distortion plugin.
    There's some compression and reverb on the drums, a multiband and a limiter for the master bus, and that's it.
    I actually forgot to high-pass anything, so the mix is a little heavy on the lows - sorry, subwoofer owners :P

There's a slightly fizzy high end to some of the cabs that needs to be tamed with a low pass - so a studio EQ post-stack is mandatory, but it really helps.
    There are looser and tighter versions of each amp but they all track fairly fast, chug without clipping the output and there are some surprises in there as well (the Retrotube is friggin' awesome!!!).

I'm a fairly clean player (been doing session jobs for too long) and like using elevator cables for strings, so i prefer the looser variants -
    the last two profiles of each amp, in particular, are magical - very dense mids and a smooth high end (my profiles haven't been fully tagged so i don't know which cabs they were profiled with),
    but the differences between the profiles aren't crazy-big, which is awesome -
    If LEAD03 was almost there, LEAD04 will probably hit it home.

They all respond well to the clarity knob and to cab swapping (try your favorite cab with all profiles of an amp) and the amps themselves are much more varied than i thought they would be -
    however, don't expect any subtle crunch sounds here, not even from the Retrotube.
    The cleans as well are just OK, which is a bit of a shame as Engl cleans can be awesome - but i haven't tried lowering the gain on crunch settings yet and that may be the ticket here.

Feel free to botch my rad mixing skillz, a video showing the exact settings will be coming soon.
    This is also the first time in a while i've reviewed anything in writing, so feel free to point me in the right direction (even if the right direction is 'out' :P ).
    and please, contribute - write a review of your favorite profile. We all like to talk about our sounds :D

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

Edited 4 times, last by Quitty ().

• Sounds great ... what guitar ?

Also, I don't hear much lead playing going on so its a bit hard to get a feel for the higher register...

great work though !!!

It's a passive Carvin DC727 - BKP Rebel Yell bridge and Dimarzio PAF pro neck.
    You're right about the leads - truth be told i haven't tried them - i just don't solo on high gain as much, i prefer crunchier sounds for that.
    Thanks!

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Cool, thanks for the review. I have to say that personally, the Engl is my overall favorite pack of all so far, released by anyone. Great stuff.