Speaker suggestions for my Kemper

• I have been searching the interwebz and I can't find an exact answer to this so I figured I would go to the experts.

I am a bedroom/hobbyist guitar player. I play my Kemper through studio headphones 99% of the time, for that last 1% I play through these:
    [Blocked Image: http://kurzweil.com/content/image/product_detail/199/medium/ks-40a_2.jpg
    Cabinet:
    100% wood cabinet using 12mm non-resonant MDF
    HF Driver:
    3/4 inch (19mm) dome type, magnetically shielded
    LF Driver:
    4 inch (106mm) diameter, magnetically shielded
    Bass Reflex Port:
    rear panel
    Power Output:
    10Wrms x2 (at 1KHz, 10% THD)
    Frequency Response:
    100-10,000Hz (at -5dB)
    Controls:
    1x Volume, 1x Sub Bass
    Input Ports:
    2 pairs of stereo RCA jacks, internally mixed
    (Line A inputs feature treble boost of 9dB at 10KHz; Line B inputs are flat)
    Input Impedance:
    20K Ohms
    Height:
    (9-1/16") (23.00 cm)
    Width:
    (5-7/8") (14.80 cm)
    Depth:
    (7-1/16") (18.00 cm)
    Weight:
    (11.00 lb.) (5 kg), both cabinets

I bought them because they were cheap and I didn't really know what I was doing when I got the Kemper a year ago. They need to be aimed like lasers into my earholes to get the sweet-spot. If I move my head at all while I am playing the sound completely changes.

I would like to get something a little better(Bigger sweet spot, louder, better freq response, etc). I have zero interest in recording or mixing so I don't need super accurate, spendy monitors. These are just to play through when my ears get too sweaty from my headphones :D I would prefer not to spend over $500.

Thanks!

Edited once, last by rmfroyd ().

• I completely agree. I have searched the threads here and found many good examples, but most of the threads here seem to lean in the direction of mixing accuracy etc. I was hoping someone could pipe in on more of a hobbyist level, rather than a professional level.

Thanks.

• Budget alternatives that I've tried and found decent are:

Behringer Truth B3031A studio monitors. These can be found from just over $250 a piece. I got them for a hobby studio-workstation @ home but have been surprised at how well they fill a bigger room when the volume is turned up a bit. They are more focused at low volume. My home "studio" has since evolved into a media workstation and the whole family now use these speakers for varying kinds of entertainment.

If you want something with a little wider dispersion and more targeted at the task I'd suggest Behringers wedges. I got a pair of these for use with a previous generation amp-sim (Digitech RP1000) a few years ago, and have kept them as they actually provide a decent alternative to the much more expensive equipment I use now. The smallest F1220A (120W) can be found from about $250 a piece. I found it ok for home use, but opted for the bigger F1320D (300W, $300) because I needed more power at rehearsals. These are almost identical except for power. Both have a built-in EQ and have no fan so there's no background noise.

• JBL LSR305s are the bang for buck monitor now. Accurate, wide sweet spot (it has the same tweeter as the $10 000 flagship model), goes down to 43Hz flat, should fill your room without bloated fake bass.

Sweetwater has a special on for $225 pair atm if you are in the states.

Just for home use mind. :)

• hi

Thanks Bevosss! Just called SamAsh and they are holding the LSR308's for me, and they pricematched Sweetwater. Pretty excited.

This may not matter to you, since you have said accuracy isn't important...it's been reported that the 305 is more accurate in the bottom end. The 308 goes down to 37Hz (dropped D!) though and may be more fun for you. Just so you know, in case you do get into mixing later, and 8's may be too big for your room regarding bass accuracy also.

Anyway, glad to have helped. :)

• IMHO should the speakers be (at least) in the same price region as the used source.

This is true for home stereo systems and modelers as well.

I never get why some think buying a $2000 ampmodeler / profiler and some $200 speakers should get great results.

Modellers (and profilers) will come and go - good speakers will stay much longer.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Yeah, i'd spend more too. The more linear and transparent the loudspeakers, the more faithful the profiles are reproduced. It's a matter of quality of sound and enjoyment, regardless what your involvement in music is IMO :)

• You'd have to spend a fair bit more than your budget to get better than the JBL LSRs. They compared favourably to Adam A7Xs on gearslutz, not as detailed sure, but a similar clear flat accurate response, and a wide sweet spot. They really punch above their weight. Only the Equator D series (more expensive) is a contender in your price bracket.

I wouldn't bother with real expensive studio monitors in your situation, I'd pick up an Atomic Active CLR wedge later on if you want the very best sound. That's the gold standard for the Kemper and you can use it for gigging/practice as well.

http://www.atomicamps.com/products.htm

• The CLRs also stand against many studio monitors, according to those who have used them that way. If real estate and logistics allow it, you might end up buying a pair for both uses, basically saving money for the quality.

• The CLRs also stand against many studio monitors, according to those who have used them that way. If real estate and logistics allow it, you might end up buying a pair for both uses, basically saving money for the quality.

Funny you should say that. :)

That's pretty much my plan, JBL LSR 305s for the desktop and CLRs for mains/live use.

Btw I audtitioned the 305s this morning and they obliterated everything in their price range and quite a few above it. All the likely contenders were present except Equator which aren't distributed here. The studio sales team were as excited about is as I was.

I ended up taking a pair home. The sweet spot is wide, it sounds like the veil is removed, and I'm hearing things on known cds I've never heard before. The bottom end is full and non-hyped, flat to 43Hz, dial in a little sub and it's perfect. Haven't tested the Kemper yet through it, ran out of time today, but it's next. Did I mention they are sexy looking too? :D

• I use my KRK Rokit 8's in my studio and they sound fine for what I do. Not to hi-jack the thread, but since we are on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of gigging speakers (powered FRFR) I can use with the KPA that are small and light weight? I play jazz so mostly clean sounds at lower volumes (for example the Rokit 8's are more than loud enough but too bulky and fragile for gigging) It would be great if someone made a single powered stereo cabinet that was small and light.

• I use my KRK Rokit 8's in my studio and they sound fine for what I do. Not to hi-jack the thread, but since we are on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a pair of gigging speakers (powered FRFR) I can use with the KPA that are small and light weight? I play jazz so mostly clean sounds at lower volumes (for example the Rokit 8's are more than loud enough but too bulky and fragile for gigging) It would be great if someone made a single powered stereo cabinet that was small and light.

Try out a pair of Tech 21 power engines. Should be up your alley. They are louder than my Dynaudio BM5As and can be set absolutely flat in different rooms using the tone controls.

• I guess you could make one, but I need the power amp internal. The Tech 21 looks perfect but I would still need to carry around 2 of them or just use one. They are very cheap used.