[Review] TAF Mesa Mark V (now finished)

• Someone ever tried the Soundside Mark V for the Petrucci-Sound? Or maybe for the really awesome Metallica-Load-Sound :)
    I'm thinking about purchasing the pack but it would be nice to know something about the quality of the profiles before.

• Someone ever tried the Soundside Mark V for the Petrucci-Sound? Or maybe for the really awesome Metallica-Load-Sound :)
    I'm thinking about purchasing the pack but it would be nice to know something about the quality of the profiles before.

I have. Don't.
    I will not review them, but that is my opinion, in short.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Quitty - of course I don't mind - in fact I encourage it - less information scattered all around these forums.

I also have the Soundside Mark V CH3 profiles. Jury is still out for me. The big miss is that he profiles all kinds of different Gain points, but not EQ at least for the Mark IV mode (and I believe Mark IIC+ as well). The amp's EQ is the big difference maker in the distortion tone, since it is pre-distortion. And the settings used were too neutral for my tastes - similar to the TAF profiles, most of them could work for a lead tone, but not that tight, hot rhythm tone.

Now he also includes some special rigs where he tried different settings, but these can be a bit confusing as to what channel/settings were actually used. There's one called JP Settings, but is it Mark IV, Mark II? The one profile is good, but still leaves me wanting more. I havne't gotten into trying to tweak it to make it work.

What also angers me a bit is with EVERY Mark V profile I've encountered no one sufficiently documents all the settings used. I know it's a pain, but all those switches and knobs impact the tone. Ultimately settings are irrelevant - only the sound is important, but it's nice to know if you are trying to figure out what's missing.

• You Guys rock..

However, I think I deserve the Badge for EPIC fail on this one! - Im glad you got something really useful out of it. -AND im so glad that you are tweaking to suit your own self/others. - as I don't like getting negativity before anyone has turned a knob or pressed a button!. - although I have to say, if you are tweaking _THAT_ much then something is wrong from the word go..which leads me too...........

I think when I had this in.. (Pre-my understanding of metal tonez) - I just did this for General rock, not for this..Error on my part I'd say!, I was going for the Rock of Knofler and some old-school Southern rock stuff.

Im not in any rush to do any more of these, as they are a nightmare of an amp. - too many controls, too heavy, awkward to mic, and hard to control, you need a degree in startrek to really understand it lol.

Once you are done with what you have. - I'll happily include your profiles inside the Original MarkV downloads. so everyone who already has it can also get yours.

Appreciate your honest review! Keep up the good work guys! - you get my vote!

• We will, someday, make you a metal producer. Just you wait.
    I'll email you my modified profile with Meambobbo's EQ tricks built in :thumbup:

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Ive never been quite satisfied with the Mark profiles here. I got some decent sound out the sound side but it was heavily tweaked and i pretty much failed with the TAF. Im curios to try your guy suggestions. I think i might have to take my Mark IV to a studio and profile it properly - maybe a mark V as well (although i prefer the IV). I have a few Petrucci bits and pieces to go along side it to. But despite having good monitors and headphones I only have an SM57 and no special press or acoustic treatment so it seems a waste to do it at home,

• to be honest, and frank..

Thats the best idea.. to get the right sound out of these marks, it sort of has to be a bit personal. - there could be at least 100 profiles of this amp alone. and still nto cover all the settings. - Its once of those amps that the range is sooo vast..that it just has to be personal.

And lets be honest, you metal guys are fussy enough lot as it is lol

Here is a tip...grab a guitar, any amp, plug in, no fuss, play the blues!..sorted!

Right that's my "crazy" therapy session over. now on with the show!

• This made my day, Andy! :)