Simple tips for improving Profiles

• I thought I would start a thread about simple tips that can improve or at least change the way the profiler works. I'm not a professional so my idea is to make this thread for us home users, but really any good idea should be posted. I'll start with my own observations after spending the past few days profiling. My main setup is a small yamaha mixing board and two mics. I normally use a Samsom Q8 vocal mic and an AKG c1000 both run into the board. I use the tone controls on the mixer to help me a little. I normally close mic both of them but I only have one stand so one is hung in front of the amp and the other is on the stand. I spend a fair amount of time moving them about and on an angle until I get a sound I like. I found this week that a new cab I bought makes some cool profiles even though I usually change the cab after I am done. Its a Weber enclosure with some JBL clones designed for a very clean sound. I also use a 2-12 cab that has one vintage celestion and one modern celestion. Either can be miced. I have found that setting up the amp in the hallway of my daughters room with it facing the wall from about a foot away really helps. I guess it works like an isolation box but it also gets the amp out of the room so I can hear whats going on a bit better. Its hard for me to profile with the amp in the room. I profile loud most of the time and try and run the machine just below the input clipping. I have used direct outs on a few amps and then added cabs later. Depending on the amp, this can create some cool profiles. I have learned to spend some time with the profiles after I make them, a least a few weeks. I try and make around 10 for each amp sound and work it down to one or two. My old ears get fried pretty quick so I need some time to make sure I like them and that they sound ok with different guitars. My goal is to try and put on the exchange the best profiles I can replacing older ones as I get better ones to take their place.

Thats my process in a nutshell, I would be interested in any other simple tips i could try that might help me in the future.

Chuck from San Antonio

• When I first saw a video of Kemper demonstrating the profiling process it was at NAMM and they used a box. I assume to keep the sound down. But never thought about whether that enhances the sound or not.

I would LOVE to know how AGUS profiled his Vox AC15 Handwired, there is just something crazy right about it.

Thanks for the ideas!

• Today I tried something new. I purchased one of the new Redbox DI boxes that has the ability to change the charters of the sound you hear. It basically has 5 simple switches to emulate a cabs character. The switches change the sound up a bit. So far the few profiles I have done were pretty good. This thing was only $99 and for many it would be a good way to get profiles without fighting with Mics. Plus it can be used when playing live. I tried DI boxes before and did not like them. This one is good for $99.

• I agree about the old red box. I had one and took it back the same day about a year ago. This is a newer version and to me it sounds much better than the old one. I can tell you right now for certain, for someone with limited access to good mics or no experience in using mics, etc, this new Redbox is a good alternative. Give me a few days and I'll put up some unaltered profiles.

• I guess this thread is old news now, but I finally downloaded Rig Manager yesterday (!) and started catching up with some recent profiles. Needless to say, Rig Manager is a game changer vs. the time-consuming trial and error process with a USB drive. But also, Chuck, I LOVE your profiles! Almost every one of them wound up on my profiler. The THD Univalves are incredible! And so are some of the Vox profiles.

So thank you. Your profiles (and Rig Manager, of course) have helped pull me back from the brink of selling my KPA. :)