New Interface Recommendations and some new info I've found

• After many years I am the proud owner of a failed MOTU 828 mk2. Mine has the same rebooting issue that upon searching forums many others have had. MOTU will fix it for $100 but I am ready to move onto something better.

I started my search with the various MOTU, Focusrite, RME, Apogee etc. items and ran across the SPL Crimson and the Audient IP22 (both fairly reasonable in price). The SPL Crimson appears to use the same quality preamps as the SPL Gainstation. It looks very cool in that it is an interface, preamp, converter and monitor controller all in one with ability to connect an iPhone/ipad etc.. What do you think about this SPL Crimson and/or do you have any other recommendations?

I don't record anything much other than myself with classical guitars and jazz guitar etc. through the Kemper and probably via SPDIF. Any drums I use are all from Logic and loops etc. and if I need to do more, I've got local studios and friends with gear.

I'm curious to see if anyone else is making a purchase and what you are looking at.

• I am looking at the Zoom TAC-2 for my Mac. It is a zero latency thunderbolt interface. It is a little more money than I'd like to spend at $399.00 but it has great features and works well with OS X software.

• Hi
    The Zoom TAC has no SPDIF.
    The Audient has SPDIF but its optical so you will need 2 coax to optical converters.
    The SPL Crimson has SPDIF in/out on coax so you can connect the kemper directly.

Myself I have a RME fireface 400 wich I am more than happy with but unless you really need 8 inputs (recording drums)
    Then the Crimson looks great and probably what I would get if buying today and only needed two analogue inputs.
    /Taz

2005 gibson lp standard faded/frankenstein tele->kemper->adam a3x/LD systems mon 121

• I have a Fireface 800, but I think it would be overkill unless you are recording multiple musicians/instruments simultaneously. Does have some handing I/O options though and I like the reroute capabilities. The only thing I don't like is that it's firewire -- works well with Windows, even Windows 8, but I've come to expect odd bugs from time to time because of the way Microsoft jacks up code.

Why not check out something like the RME Babyface, which has good reviews. I think Focusrite's Scarlett 6i6 is also well reputed. And if you like MOTU, there are plenty of options available. You could also look at something like a soundcard designed for audio, like the ESI Juli@, which is supposed to be quite good.

• I just bought my Native Instruments Komplete 6 today, should be arriving tomorrow, has all the I/O's you need including SPDIF in a nice looking format, great for what i will be using it for (recording, possibly reamping etc.)

:P

• I ran across the NI Komplete 6 today as well. The SPL Crimson is a bit more expensive, I could get it for $580 shipped to the door. The SPL most likely has better converters and preamps, since it's SPL, but I read a review on the NI that said it was very good compared to several higher end interfaces. For what I'd do it would probably be fine. I may just get one and wait and see what others say about the SPL Crimson vs. Audient iD22 vs. Babyface vs. etc. over time. The RME Fireface 400 is probably awesome as well, but it is more expensive. I would think that most of these would be better than my MOTU 828 mk2 was. It had a lot of features, but it is older technology. I opened it up and can see where the REG2 has browning around it so it is a heat sink issue or failed solder joint or something. It works until it heats up, then the weirdness starts. Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

Dave

• I just bought my Native Instruments Komplete 6 today, should be arriving tomorrow, has all the I/O's you need including SPDIF in a nice looking format, great for what i will be using it for (recording, possibly reamping etc.)

:P

I just got my kemper recently and have NI Komplete 6 and set everything up to record and re-amp via spdif and it works great.