need help setting up your Wah in the Profiler? do you own a rare Wah? let me know.

• prsgary wrote:
    Hey Don, how about the Satriani Big Bad Wah (mine died, loved that sound)?

is it completely dead?

It wasn't completely dead, but completely noisy and unreliable after several years of my abuse. I traded it for something, can't remember what. Oh well! I loved it when it was "alive."

Gary ô¿ô

• How 'bout a Dunlop 535Q20 20th Anniversary?

-djh

Is this better than a standard 535Q?

I bought mine (non-anniv. model) in the '90s, and it's never been used (tested once, and it was s-m-o-o-t-h). Still got the plastic film on underneath, and the lube-goo's still completely clean (off-white in colour). Been boxed for 20 years.

I'm a long way from Germany, but my step-dad's German and I have German blood. Does that help, Don? LOL

------------------------------------
    Kemper Wah-settings List
    ------------------------------------

• I dunno if it's been mentioned, but I have an original Morley Bad Horsie.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Is this better than a standard 535Q?

I bought mine (non-anniv. model) in the '90s, and it's never been used (tested once, and it was s-m-o-o-t-h). Still got the plastic film on underneath, and the lube-goo's still completely clean (off-white in colour). Been boxed for 20 years.

I'm a long way from Germany, but my step-dad's German and I have German blood. Does that help, Don? LOL

I dunno if it's been mentioned, but I have an original Morley Bad Horsie.

pm me please, guys :)

• I could use some help. I am trying to get an 'Auto-Wah' sound a.k.a. Envelope (Following) Filter similar to Mutron-type envelope filter. Notably, a sound Jerry Garcia used quite often.

Also, the reverse sound, of the pedal going the other way which Bob Weir sometimes used.

I know to use the 'Touch' parameter but so far my attempts to dial it in using the others have been weak at best. Sounds too thin and harsh - is this the Wah itself and should I try an equalizer before/after the Wah or are there better ways to dial it in. Any help appreciated, thanks.

• hate to move the discussion on a phylosophical level, but once I had Steve Vai with me ( I was producing one of his first clinic in Italy @ orvieto) and asked me if I hade some stomps he could use. in fact he came from tour and had only a legacy for the clinic. I answered I only had a wah vox. he accepted it...and the Vox was sounding exactly as his Bad Horsie. from that time I quit looking for a particular brand and played with what I had.

I'm using the cry baby setting of the kemper wah......it is true that it doesn't sound different compared to all the wah I had in the past, Morley included...

but it might be me though....and evidently Steve Vai's as well

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I'm using the cry baby setting of the kemper wah

I was using the Kemper Cry Baby, was not totally thrilled with it. Someone (can't remember who) posted settings on thisvery thread (since removed?) for the 535Q model, the one I already owned and used instead of the Kemper. Well this tweak was spot on and very different from Kemper's. I have since tweaked it a tad more and I'm now happy with my wah.

(that's way cool you got to meet and help out Steve Vai, who could probably make any pedal at all sound great!)

Gary ô¿ô

• I was using the Kemper Cry Baby, was not totally thrilled with it. Someone (can't remember who) posted settings on thisvery thread (since removed?) for the 535Q model, the one I already owned and used instead of the Kemper. Well this tweak was spot on and very different from Kemper's. I have since tweaked it a tad more and I'm now happy with my wah.

(that's way cool you got to meet and help out Steve Vai, who could probably make any pedal at all sound great!)

Care to share the settings, @prsgary? :D

• Care to share the settings, prsgary?

Sure Sam,

The 535Q position 1 settings someone else had posted were:
    Manual 3.6, Peak 6.9, Pedal range +24, Peak range -22, Bypass to stop, Mix 94%, Duck 0, Volume =0.7

The added tweaks I put in (and really are needed on my Robin Trower preset I posted or you can barely hear any wah) are;

Manual 3.6, Peak 7.4, Pedal range +25, Peak range -37, Mix 100%, Volume +1.0

I find both of these very useful and have saved them as presets. Let me know how you like these.

Cheers!

Gary ô¿ô

• Excellent :)
    Thanks, man. I'll be trying these out soon!

• Thin and harsh? Likely the Manual parameter is set too high. Did you check this?

I thought I played with 'all' of the settings but honestly started getting confused/overwhelmed as there were more than I was used to and I wasn't getting what I expected when I did certain adjustments. Thats why I thought it better to walk away and ask some questions. I will try that next, thanks.

also be aware that there are extra parameter showing up when you select 'touch'

filter/wah up = low manual, positive pedal range
    filtet/wah down = high manual, negative pedal range

have you tried the presets?

I think you answered the Bob Weir version with the wah down - I will try that next chance I get. I *think* I went through the different presets but am hoping to spend more time focusing on this in the next day or two as after my first foray trying to dial it in, I thought it better to move on to some other higher priority needs for getting gig-ready. I'll try to take notes so I can ask more specific questions. This is definitely a more sophisticated tool than I had ever hoped for and I am confident that once I understand the parameters and presets I'll be able to dial it in.

• Still tweaking but here are some settings I came up with to emulate 'typical' Grateful Dead use of envelope-following filters a.k.a. Auto-wah:

JG
    Manual: 0.6
    Peak: 8.6
    Pedal Range: +50%
    Peak Range: -8%
    Pedal Mode: Touch
    Mix: 100%
    Ducking: <0.0>
    Touch Attack: 5.0
    Touch Release: 0.5
    Touch Boost: 0.8
    Volume: +0.5

BW
    Manual: 9.5
    Peak: 9.2
    Pedal Range: -79%
    Peak Range: -77%
    Pedal Mode: Touch
    Mix: 100%
    Ducking: <0.0>
    Touch Attack: 2.0
    Touch Release: 0.5
    Touch Boost: 0.8
    Volume: +0.5

• After looking for a Mutron III sound a.k.a. "auto-wah" , mainly used by Jerry Garcia or Jonathan Wilson, I ended up in this thread. So I checked up flyingheelhooks setting above.

Here's my tweaking:

Jerry Sound:
    Manual 0,6
    Peak 7,3
    Pedal Range +66%
    Peak Range -18%
    Pedal Mode Touch
    Stereo 0
    Mix 100%
    Ducking 0
    Touch Attack 5.0
    Touch Release 1.7
    Touch Boost 4.4.
    Volume + 0.5

Made for Humbucking Guitar.

• Somewhat on topic, somewhat off - I'm curious about the Mission Rewah. Does anyone have one of these? I almost debated dropping my Morley Bad Horsie for one, but I decided against it.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Paging Sir DonPetersen!
    Have these thread results by any chance been completed (or has it merely died?)

Now that KPA is offering pedal calibration, my existing Wah's have never responded so well.
    But sadly, they remain limited to the mere few.

I (for one) am now more intrigued than ever to try what settings you may have compiled to date.
    Perhaps they're already listed/available somewhere and I just missed the link somehow.

If so, I'll then take the 5th, (drink a 5th 8) ) and then wear my dunce hat in shame for missing it.

Thx for all you do.