How to connect KPA to AUX IN of Guitar Amp?

• Hi,

today I received my KPA. Since I don't have a dedicated Amp or Cabinet, my intention was to simply connect the Headphone out from the KPA to the AUX IN of my Guitar Amp (Peavey Vypyr 120 Tube). Usually that works perfectly when I conect the Headphone out of my MP3 player.

However in case of the KPA I heard a lot of hum, which makes it unusuable. The question is: What can I do?

There are many outputs on the KPA:

- Headphone out

- Main Out

- Monitor Out

- Direct Out

I have no clue what the differences between those are. Can anybody explain the differences?

Can I connect any of these to the AUX IN of my Amp? So far I haven't dared to do so.

The back side outputs feature a ground lift function. I suppose the hum is caused by a ground loop, hence I could imagine the the ground lift function may help. Howeve I'm a bit concerned that I may damage the AUX IN of my Guitar Amp if it cannot cope with that.

Any suggestions or wiring proposals would be very much appreciated!

With kind regards,

Sven

• Thank you very much for your response.

After changing the Amp to a Bugera V22 with FX return and changing the power outlet it worked. The sound is sometimes a bit dull when I do palm muting. Way too much bass! Maybe it's just a wrong setting somewhere?

Cheers,
    Sven

• The way you're running your setup is less than ideal. A standard Kemper "profile" includes the power section of an amp. You're running it through ANOTHER power section of an amp. You would probably do well to read through the KPA manual and get to grips with the basics of how it works :)

My assumption was that the power section of the Guitar Amp doesn't color the sound very much since most of the coloring is done in the pre-amp section. At least when playing on living room levels. Maybe this assumption isn't true.

• Monitor output, turn off cab simulation for this output in the "output settings".

Connect it to the "FX Return" on your amp.

+1

• My assumption was that the power section of the Guitar Amp doesn't color the sound very much since most of the coloring is done in the pre-amp section. At least when playing on living room levels. Maybe this assumption isn't true.

Yeah, not really. A guitar power amp is probably the least linear thing on the universe! :D

Also, are you sure cab simulation is off?

• Thank you very much for your response.

After changing the Amp to a Bugera V22 with FX return and changing the power outlet it worked. The sound is sometimes a bit dull when I do palm muting. Way too much bass! Maybe it's just a wrong setting somewhere?

Cheers,
    Sven

Try some profiles that have on the rig exchange that are DI profiles and see how you like the sound through your FX return. There are some people that have the same profiles where one is the full amp and one is the DI. This would be a great chance for you to disable the cab in the full profile and compare it to the DI so you can see how much the cab removal feature is affecting the sound.

There are lots of other tweaks you can do but this is a nice experience to how different profiles work with different gear for future reference.

• Also, are you sure cab simulation is off?

Yes, I set the tick mark in the output section and I also disabled the cab at the front by pressing the button (button off and locked). Pressing the cab button doesn't make a difference in sound. I guess that is a proof that Monitor Cab is disabled.

• Quoted from "Sporty75"

Try some profiles that have on the rig exchange that are DI profiles and see how you like the sound through your FX return. There are some people that have the same profiles where one is the full amp and one is the DI. This would be a great chance for you to disable the cab in the full profile and compare it to the DI so you can see how much the cab removal feature is affecting the sound.

Good idea. I downloaded two DI and non-DI profiles from Bjorn Gottfridsson and I'll try that later. Do you have other profiles in mind that I can try?

• Not off hand. I did see a video at one time and the DI with cab sounded much closer to the real amp than the profile, but cannot remember what all was compared. There are some 5150's with DI's but just searching DI in the exchange should bring up a lot more so you can choose based on your preference.

• OK, I found a solution. It's probably caused by feedback since I'm playing close to my amp. I changed my Guitar from a Strat with Texas Special SC to an Ibanez with EMG active pickups and the problem is gone :) Every profile from TAF sounds now great :)

Problem 1: Hum when connecting the KPA to a Guitar Amp
    Solution: Putting both power plugs as close as possible next to each other solved the problem for me. Interestingly "Ground Lift" didn't change anything in my case.

Problem 2: Dull/hollow sound when playing palm mutes
    Solution: Using active pickups solved the problem for me.

• Problem 2: Dull/hollow sound when playing palm mutes
    Solution: Using active pickups solved the problem for me.

If higher gain PUPs are giving you better sound, you might consider boosting the INPUT setting when using your single coils ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer