Introducing Top Jimi Profiles

• Picked up the 68 Marshall over the weekend. Now, I've purchased very few profiles so I can't really compare these vs. other commercial profiles (except ones that were included in OS updates). With that said, they the ones I've heard so far are truly fantastic. Spent several hours playing through them. Really like the EVH profiles for high gain/lead. There are also some other great clean/crunch profiles in this bunch.

I also really liked the # of profiles. 10-15 sounds about right to me for an amp. I don't have the time to sift through a lot of profiles, but I don't like getting 5-7 or fewer profiles as it doesn't really provide me with a virtual amp (or at least part of a virtual amp).I think that is one of the problems I have with some of the rig exchange profiles - many of the ones I've downloaded tend to be only a few profiles per amp (perhaps that's changed now).

I'm a little curious about the naming convention as the numerical order didn't seem to be related to gain, which I initially expected. Can you shed any light on the naming?

Nonetheless, I'll be picking up some other profiles out of this pack - especially for the price of a beer! Thank you and very well done. :thumbup:

• Thanks stompman. The only meaning to the numbers in the names is the order to which they were profiled. Profile 1 was the first one I did -- the highest number the last. All profiles have either different amp settings, speakers, mic placement, stompbox (Tube Screamer), or all of the above.

If I took the original profile and added some Kemper processing (stereo chorus, etc.) I put a "b" after the profile name.

The profiling process is a bit of an expressive thing for me -- almost like a musical performance. As such, I don't like to stop the momentum and take detailed notes or write a lot of notes into the profiles themselves. Hence, what's included in the profiles for notes is a bit sparse. Sorry -- just my personality, I guess.

I could better rearrange the profiles in the future to be more orderly (1 being lowest gain, etc.), I suppose.

Jimi

• Well, if you - as it seems - have got the qualities for standing in this business, it could be a good idea to take serious note of what you do, and document it: on the mid/long run I'm sure your customers will get a better service, and be happier, and spread the word more etc etc...
    For a serious musician is a good think to be able to study a profile, understand how it's set, and know what happens when they tweak it. For me it would be important anyway :)

• Hi Jimi, I understand about the momentum aspect of things with regards to not letting the note taking get in the way of the session - perhaps just place a camera and 'set and forget'. Then later on go back and see what the settings were. Either way - these are top quality profiles - excellent job! :thumbup:

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• I very much agree. As a semi-professional session and live guy, I am very interested in what mics especially and mic preamps an amp was profiled on, as well as the cabinet. I can definitely hear often what type of mic was "probably" used, or atleast one of them, but often I know for a fact certain profiles will or won't work for me just by the information given, depending on my needs. Again, this is in MY opinion for my tone, YMMV. For instance, I am very much more of a fan of the sm57 over say, an sm7b for live use, due to the midrange push of the sm57. I also very much like the r121 in the studio lately. This is just little examples of what I am into, and why I would atleast like to know mic selection :)

On that note, I bought the 68 Superlead and the gilbert, and while I have only played them on headphones due to me being on vacation at the moment, I am highly impressed. I also have only used them with my telecaster, and I definitely did need to bring down the definition, especially on the 68, not as much on the gilbert head though. These are very good, and I am highly impressed. Decently dark as well without being overly bright, letting some wiggle room on my part to EQ slightly if I need to. Honestly they sound great right out of the box though, definitely my favorite marshall profiles I have heard yet. Can't wait to try these on my studio monitors and my PA system for live shows, A few of these will definitely find my way on to my pedal board :D

• My main recommendation to the numbering nomenclature would be to use a minimum of 2 digits.

So use "01" instead of "1" as it will not sort in order when you have more than 9 profiles (assuming you start at 01, since programmers love starting at 0)

As for revealing details, while I've read really cool details from Andy and been given advice, at the end it comes down to ears and individual placement given the amp the microphone and the room. There isn't any one-size-fits all.

Just as the same profile doesn't sound the same to most of us for all it's varieties of guitars, pickups, room, speaker's EQ affect, etc.

• Bought the 68 and JMP. I love them (especially the 68). Easily in my top 3 favorite Marshall profiles.

what are the other 2 then? - since we appear to like similar stuff ;) the 68 / 6 profile is the only profile i played for days... just love it!

• I wanted to put together a quick clip of this great set of profiles for the Marshall 68 Super Lead. I used profile #3 for the rhythm and lead. I did add some delay to the lead.
    My band is adding this tune to our setlist so I had to learn it. I figured this would be a good way by showing off this great profile. Hope you all like it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Anyone cranking up the low end on these at all? They sound great with my les Paul obviously, but I'm really crankin up the lows with my telecaster to thickin things up, but I guess that is to be expected. Andy's profiles just have this huge low end on alot of his profiles, trying mimic that thickness... LJ 2 or 3 profile might be main go to lead tone for everything :) it flat out rules, dialing in all my sounds now on my FRFR system and I'm loving these.

• Anyone cranking up the low end on these at all? They sound great with my les Paul obviously, but I'm really crankin up the lows with my telecaster to thickin things up, but I guess that is to be expected. Andy's profiles just have this huge low end on alot of his profiles, trying mimic that thickness... LJ 2 or 3 profile might be main go to lead tone for everything :) it flat out rules, dialing in all my sounds now on my FRFR system and I'm loving these.

would that just be a matter of the EQ Andy uses on his profiles?

• that sound really good Mr. Gibson. I may have to get this profile but maybe a Les Paul to get this tone. My EMG 89 have a lot of gain.

• that sound really good Mr. Gibson. I may have to get this profile but maybe a Les Paul to get this tone. My EMG 89 have a lot of gain.

This clip was done with an Anderson Drop Top. It has a mahogany body, maple top and maple neck. I think it fits the mix great.