Kemper > Yamaha DXR: Cable experiments

• I spend quite some time to chase down the DXR noise issue.
    Under ideal circumstances a little hiss can be heard. This is so subtle that it does not disturb me at all. Not a bedroom level and for sure not during rehearsal or live use.
    Any louder hiss/noise is coming from the cables...don't blame Yamaha nor Kemper.

I got really annoyed one day when suddenly I was hearing radio noise ?( ....but no radio was connected...just the Kemper. By touching the cable plug I could influence the radio signal :)

I then connected the Kemper main out with XLR to the DXR: Very low noise!

But normally I do run main out into the mixing console and have to use the Kemper monitor out. No XLR there! Just a normal mono plug.

I tested all my cables (appr. 30) to connect the Kemper to the DXR. DXR level was set to -3db

Best result was using a speaker cable which is normally used to connect my tube amps with a guitar cabinet.

But all cables were noisier than the XLR connection.....

Before I get on a shopping spree and order a variety of shielded mono cables....

.....What cable are you using? Instrument cable? PA cable? Shielded? What brand? Length? Are they quiet? Has anybody tried a XLR converter plug?

Would be great if we could find the ideal cable for the Kemper-DXR connection together!!

Regards,

Rainer
    P.S. The ground lift switch was just changing the noise type...not make it quieter.

Edited 2 times, last by MisterB ().

• Currently, I use a Monster Performer 500 XLR cable 21' in length. Yes there is a slight hiss but not noticeable or annoying. My DXR volume is set at 0 db and then I adjust the volume from the Kemper. For solo practice I am at 1.3 on the Kemper master volume. Next week will be the real test as it will be in a practice hall with a drummer.

Lastly, I do have the contour set at none on the DXR. So not using the monitor or FOH contour.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.”

• I use a nice Mogani/Neutrik XLR at home (great for profiling too) and just a standard grade XLR for gigs. My good cables don't leave the house. I have a guy make me the Mogani stuff for not much more than the raw material costs. You can hear a difference in the cables, but not at a gig.

I have no hum, but at home there is a small amount of fan noise.

• Just did a broader sound check with my setup and I do not have any noise. All I am hearing is the fan running. I am using the Monster Performer 500 XLR cable 21' in length, but also using both gates on the Kemper.

• Tanks for the XLR cable recommendations.
    But...as I wrote...the main out is used to run the kemper into the mixer with XLR. I have no issues here.

The DXR 10 is connected to "monitor out". I use it as a stage monitor.

If you are using your DXR 10 connected to "monitor out" what cable are you using to minimize hizz?
    Instrument cable? Special PA cable?

• Tanks for the XLR cable recommendations.
    But...as I wrote...the main out is used to run the kemper into the mixer with XLR. I have no issues here.

The DXR 10 is connected to "monitor out". I use it as a stage monitor.

If you are using your DXR 10 connected to "monitor out" what cable are you using to minimize hizz?
    Instrument cable? Special PA cable?

I have two DXR10 connected via two George L's cable. I use main outs because I can obtain the stereo effect with one common equalisation

At home I run the two speakers at -3 db, very loud though; the hum is bearable (I mean the speaker hum, 'cause the fan is almost silent)

Didn't try the cabinet cables (or speaker cable) yet

I also notice in the DXR that if you set the link mode to "stereo" there's a slight volume drop, even if there isn't any auxiliary speaker connected

• I haven't done this test on my DXR, but on my QSC K8 the 1/4" Line inputs sound quite different from the XLR inputs, and they share the same dual input jack. Strange, I know. Is there a mic preamp in these things? That could explain the difference in sound. I always use the K8 switched to Mic position now.

Might try this on the DXR10

• Just tried the main 1/4 inch out jack into one DXR10. Ran both Left and Right sides in and made sure the Link setting was at mono. I used Monster Rock Cables 1/4 inch unbalanced 3 meters in length. No noise at all. In fact. I like the sound of it better than the XLR cables. Also, I have the contour set to OFF.

• A possible Solution for the Monitor is to use a xlr cable with an adapter

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• Yes. But the longer your unbalanced cable is the more noise it can pick up from the environment...that noise is then amplified by the Yamaha DXR.
    I order an adapter to XLR. Will report on the result!

• P.S. The ground lift switch was just changing the noise type...not make it quieter.

In what way? Is it really hiss, and not buzz?

Use a regular shielded signal cable. If the cables are in fact picking up noise, use one as short as possible. I don't think Ive ever had that problem with reasonably short lenghts of unbalanced line signals though...

I see that the DXR can take +16 dBu, which is exactly what the Kemper can put out. I'd try lowering the DXR's level control more and increasing output from the Kemper. At -3 dB the DXR will deliver max output at 0 dBu. Try -10 or more on the DXR.

• Trazan:
    I just used 3m guitar/instrument cables. I use the DXR at -3dB. It's picking up noise (even heard radio :-)).

What exactly do you mean with shielded signal cable? What is the difference to guitar cable?
    Can you recommend one (link?)?

• Yes. But the longer your unbalanced cable is the more noise it can pick up from the environment...that noise is then amplified by the Yamaha DXR.
    I order an adapter to XLR. Will report on the result!

Not sure I'm following you. If even one of the sockets is unbalanced, a balanced cable won't serve any purpose. Am i missing something?

:)

• Trazan:
    I just used 3m guitar/instrument cables. I use the DXR at -3dB. It's picking up noise (even heard radio :-)).

What exactly do you mean with shielded signal cable? What is the difference to guitar cable?
    Can you recommend one (link?)?

A guitar cable is a shielded signal cable :) A speaker cable is not shielded, and you should avoid those. It's strange that you mentioned getting less noise with a speaker cable.

If you lower the sensitivity of the DXR and increase the volume from the Kemper, the signal will be louder relative to any noise picked up from the cable run.

• Update: My order arrived today.

Now I use:
    Monitor out on Kemper > Neutrik Adapter from mono jack to male XLR > 3 meter XLR cabel > Yamaha DXR 10 XLR input.

SILENCE! Absolutely no noises (except for the fan and a very silent hiss)

So...if you have to use the monitor out (or direct out) and normal signal/instrument cables create too much noise...try this! It works!

• But where do you set the Input Sensitivity for the XLR inputs?