KPA Powerup Failure

• Last night my KPA stopped powering up. The "Kemper Profiler" screen shows, the little bar across the bottom moves all the way across from left to right, then nothing. It just sits there indefinitely.

I've tried:
    - Holding "Rig" down and turning the power dial to Tuner. Nothing.
    - Holding "System" down and turning the power dial to Tuner. Nothing.
    - Loading kaos.bin into the root drive of a USB stick, plugging into KPA, holding down "< and >", and turning the power dial to Tuner. Nothing.

Is there anything else I can try before sending it off for repair?

This is a pretty disastrous occurrence less than 1 week after launching Top Jimi Profiles! I had some great-sounding AC30 profiles that I had just done yesterday that I'm afraid I'll lose now.

Jimi

• Doesn't sound good to me, Jimi. You need to log a ticket with the Kemper folks. I've worked with computers a long time, and this is why I create backups every time I make a change that matters to me ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I got this message from Kemper support as a last-ditch solution (wipes your Kemper clean to factory settings). I'll try it tonight and cross my fingers.

There is one last thing you could try which is doing a flash init. You should only do this if you have a backup of your data since this procedure will totally wipe out the memory content of your Profiler leaving it completely empty until you restore the factory rigs or your backup.

push and hold soft button 1 (top left above display) while switching on the unit into Tuner Mode;
    keep pushing the button until the Booting Maintenance Mode message appears;
    in Maintenance mode push Maintenance, Memory, Init Flash, Yes, Ok, and shut down;
    start Profiler normally, enter your owner name at the end of the welcome sequence, then enter System Menu and push the Factory Rigsbutton. This will restore the factory rigs.

If that doesn't bring your profiler back to life i have to assume that it is suffering from a hardware problem. In this case approach your dealer to get it repaired under warranty.
    Sorry for the inconveniences.

• Since I'm the second owner of my KPA and don't have the original sales receipt, it appears the warranty likely won't apply to me. So, on a hunch, I took a chance, opened up the KPA, and re-seated all of the wire connectors and the microprocessor sockets (I'm an pretty technical person). Voila! Works normally now.

Relieved!

Jimi

• Hey Jimi,

Before you reseated the connectors, did you ever unplug the Kemper and plug it back in again? I remember reading somewhere that it was a solution for the freezing problem you described. I'm assuming you unplugged the Kemper before opening it up so maybe there wasn't a loose connection after all!

Cheers,

jayson