Using in ear monitors with Kemper

• I tried my Carvin EM900 setup with my Kemper Profiling Amp last Friday.

The good things:
    1) I could hear VERY clearly my guitar for the first time at this restaurant. :)
    2) The clean tones were acceptable.
    3) I definitely did not need to set up a room mic....I could hear the band with no problem since we're
    practically on top of each other as it is.

The bad:
    My distorted tones were absolutely AWFUL. They were very ratty sounding and nothing how it sounded
    out
    front
    . In my ear plugs it sounded like cabinet emulation was off (or
    like plugging a guitar into a BOSS DS-1 then directly to the mixer.) BUT the emulation was definitely on for all outputs.

I'm
    going to have to use the EQ feature for the Monitor Out jack (which I
    was using to send a signal to the Carvin) and try and tame the fizzy
    tone.

Does anybody else have this problem with IEMs for the dirty tones?

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• I know the transmitter and receiver were not clipping. Maybe a little adjustment on the Monitor Out EQ would help.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• I use AKG IVM 4 InEar and Shure SE535 (sometimes Shure SE315) with the KPA. No Problems. What Headphones do u use? Might they be the problem?

Bobby, they are the stock Carvin ear plugs. Apparently, some like them so much they use them for music.
    I know I don't want to spend hundreds on ear plugs.

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• Make certain you're not causing any clipping whatsoever in your signal path. I had the same issue and had to turn down the rig volume a lot to eliminate it. I use a Powerhead and found I like the tones out of a Beyma 12GA50 a lot, so now I usually just mic the cab and feed to my IEMs. Bonus is that the sound coming out of the speaker has a lot less clipping and allows me to crank the rig volume up to where the output LED flashes orange. After all, CK said to judge with our ears, and I love the tones from the speaker!! Rock on!

• Make certain you're not causing any clipping whatsoever in your signal path. I had the same issue and had to turn down the rig volume a lot to eliminate it. I use a Powerhead and found I like the tones out of a Beyma 12GA50 a lot, so now I usually just mic the cab and feed to my IEMs. Bonus is that the sound coming out of the speaker has a lot less clipping and allows me to crank the rig volume up to where the output LED flashes orange. After all, CK said to judge with our ears, and I love the tones from the speaker!! Rock on!

Hmmm. Never thought of that.

I know the Carvin's input controls on both the transmitter and receiver were not clipping however I run the Kemper's master output pretty high ( 8 to 10 ). Maybe the Kemper's output level was the problem.

I will have to mess around with the Monitor Output's level and separate it from the Master Output (if that is possible).

Thanks for the angle, Ucnick!

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• If cab emulation was defo on then i suspect its probably a gain staging problem.

Yes...never thought it might be the Kemper, though. Thanks!

-- Arnold H. Glasow

-- Me

• I initially found it when I played a gig and ran the main out to a K10 and ran the Powerhead imonitor out nto a 2X12 cab. The speaker cab did not break up but the K10 did. Heard the same through the IEMs. Had to turn the KPA volume way down to get rid of it, roughly 50% of max. Anyway it is certainly easy enough to determine! As Chamelious said, it may be a gain staging issue. Good luck!