How good is the kemper really?

• Hi all

I've been looking at the Kemper probably combined with a Yamaha dxr10 having read through lots of info on these forums and internet, but like many people I am not close to anywhere where these are sold, so I can't just go out and try them. I love the concept but am just concerned, being a tube amp user, whether these kemper heads and going through PA speakers really does provide as good a sound as a similar priced tube head and cab, eg Suhr, Mesa, or even hand wired Vox and Fender models. I understand in theory the Kemper can do all those and more, but : How good is the Kemper really? And having taken a long time to save up the kind of money involved, would I be disappointed in anyway if I took the plunge on the Kemper. My one other concern is simply financial, if I buy a used good tube head I could probably make my money back on it in a few years, I'm not sure a digital head of any type would maintain its value as well.

I also understand that the Kemper forum is likely to be biased, but any opinions from actual users of Kemper and some high end tube head/cab combos would be greatly appreciated. I mainly play blues, rock and funk, no real metal and play in two gigging bands. One covers mainly funk / soul songs at functions etc, one is more just for fun and plays original rock material.

Thanks for any objective input

All the best :)

• Well....I can give you my example. I had a Kemper toaster when they first came out after their initial Namm release. I absolutely loved it and took to it right away. At that point in time it was missing quite a few things that I really needed. I needed the performance mode, some kind of pitch shifting unit, an internal power amp, some kind of librarian, and most importantly, some type of footswitch system. I used it from about Sept to April of that year. I sold the unit because of the many features I needed and was kind of ticked (but understood the nightmare it would have created) that they wouldn't be able to make good on the power amp retrofit. I then moved to a Marshall JVM410HJS, a custom boogie 2x12 cab and a Torpedo live as well as a pedalboard with many pedals. This was a fantastic sounding solution but a royal PITA to haul around live. So...a year and a half later, I noticed that the Kemper now had a powered rack version (check!), working performance mode (check!), beta librarian mode (check!), pitch shifter (check!) and a footswitch solution (FCB1010 & Uno4Kemper).

Getting hold of the powered rack unit in my area has been a challenge but my retailer found a brand new one that slipped under the stock radar and I was able to get it a couple of weeks ago. That being said, I am ever so happy to be back and have the unit. It is fantastic!

This unit is my hub for my studio, playing live and jamming at home. It all hooks in place and I love it. I have many options with the powered version to either use a full cab, a smaller cab or if I chose in the future to get some type of FRFR setup.

Either way, I've eliminated a ton of mess and cables for something that sets up in 1 minute and sounds absolutely stunning!

I don't look at it as something you can lose on with the Kemper. The difference between it and the other units out there is that this thing can profile an amp and it sounds bang on! I simply can't hear the difference at all with many of the profiles and in a mix, forget it. That kind of thing holds value. I don't look at this as an investment because even with a tube amp, you are going to lose a good 50% of your investment, regardless. I look at this as being a tone solution that works great and gives me many more options to be creative.

Enjoy!

:)

• Fantastic comments from both of you, particularly appreciate the real world example of PBG as it sounds like a very similar situation to mine. Thanks for taking the time out to reply to my questions! PBG, do you still use it with a 2x12 cab rather than a PA frfr style solution? Any other opinions out there?:)

• I bought the KPA 26 months ago. At that time I had an Axe Fx Ultra, a Steavens Radioactivator preamp and an Advance Tube Tech power amp.

Since i love trading guitar amps, i have had, in tho period, a Mesa Caliber 50+ (el84 model), a Fender Hot rod, two Mesa Studio pre, three Mesa V Twin, four Rockman Xp100, Two VHT GP3 and a Marshall 6101 30th anniversary (blue edition).

None of them has taken the KPA place.

• Kemper via PA speakers vs tube amp ...

If up to now you'll mike your amp and the audience hears your guitar amp only via the PA.
    Then all you have to do is to profile your current rig - and your audience get's about 99% the same sound.

The same is true for recording - I never record my amps directly - I'll profile them and use the KPA for all recordings.
    By this I'll get the same sound each time.

For personal "next to the amp" playing I prefer the real amp - in case I own it - or special profiles which recreate this sound as close as possible.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I think its very importend what profiles you use
    Some people told me they didnt like the sound of the KPA after trying it at a music store and perhaps they were wright at the time.
    If you use the Kemper only for 30 minutes in a music store and you dont know how to use it, its possible you get the wrong impression
    I too had some doubts in the first weeks I used the Kemper ( power rack ) But now that I have sorted out some good profiles, i'm convinced this is the amp for me.
    I use it life for gigs and I use a Bogner 2x12 for Cabinet.
    Sold my Bogner Shiva a few months ago and last week I sold my Bogner Ecstacy anniversary, becourse I didnt use them at all since I got my Kemper!
    I'm thinking to buy a second Power rack :)

Edited once, last by Dorrus ().

• I have kpa powerhead and use it with a 4x12 and a yamaha dxr. I came from using Mesa Studio Pre amp, Mesa dual rec Tremoverb, Bad Cat Hot Cat, and Diezel Einstein. I love the sound of a tube amp but I've never been happier with my current setup. I personally feel that my powered kpa with my mesa 4x12 has the same if not better sound than my old setups. It has the same "feel" as tube amp and 4x12. I don't notice a difference. So if that's your thing I'd say no difference. But I have come to absolutely love the sound of the kpa with dxr. The effects are great for someone like me who likes to keep it simple with some delay reverb, compression, and gates. I mean it is the quietest setup i've ever had but will wake the neighbors with the sound of one chord. I am very satisfied and actually come to like it the more I play.Actually it leads to new inspirations using multiple amps (which was never my intention). Two thumbs ups from me.

• Fantastic comments from both of you, particularly appreciate the real world example of PBG as it sounds like a very similar situation to mine. Thanks for taking the time out to reply to my questions! PBG, do you still use it with a 2x12 cab rather than a PA frfr style solution? Any other opinions out there?:)

Yup...still using a 2x12. Didn't end up selling it. Sounds too good at this point and the cost for a new CLR far outweighs my need for it.

Edited once, last by PBGas ().

• For several decades I am working as a professional guitar player and play about 200 shows in the year and countless studio sessions. Therefor I used for the last 2 years only the Kemper. The KPA is the best tool that was built for a long time, whether live or in the studio. It is important that you use very good profiles - here in the forum there are a lot of good providers, such as Andy from The Amp Factory, Armin, Sinmix and many more ... With these weapons you can "win every sound technical war". In addition, the Kemper is also gladly seen by the sound engineers, because it is extremely uncomplicated in handling. The Kemper is the best thing you can buy for money to you at the moment.

Play it like you mean it.

• Thanks everyone for the replies, it's great to see that Kemper also has a very active and helpful community!

One of my concerns is about the profiles, as if I get one I won't be profiling my own amps. I know there are many available online, but if you want good ones, do you have to pay? I wouldn't want to get the Kemper and feel disappointed in its sound due to bad profiles rather than it being down to the head itself.

I also only use few effects: compression, wah, overdrives, maybe a little pitch shift or octavia stuff. Have people found the best way to control the Kemper is with the FB1010 and uno chip? I'd be needing a floor unit that can simply change patch and then act like a stomp box for 3, maybe 4 effects too. I have a decent wah pedal and could just get an expression pedal too so was thinking about a relatively simple midi switching unit like a midi moose.

• You cannot be disappointed by the KPA, it's only a matter of finding the right profiles that suits your guitars and style as long as you got a cool audio rendering system ( FR ) ... with minimal tweaking you'll achieve tone heaven

listen to the samples here and then , some profiles are even better than the actual amps. Check my digests, tons of good profiles to choose from

• One of my concerns is about the profiles, as if I get one I won't be profiling my own amps. I know there are many available online, but if you want good ones, do you have to pay? I wouldn't want to get the Kemper and feel disappointed in its sound due to bad profiles rather than it being down to the head itself.

Hundreds of great free profiles on the exchange, :) no need to buy if you dont want to but i think most people cant resist buying a few packs.

• I don't really think there are "bad profiles" out there. Every sound can be of use.
    Keep in mind that a person sets an amp the way they like how it sounds with a certain guitar, then profile it with a mic, which has got its sound signature. The placement also gives its obvious contribution.
    So there are so many variables that not necessarily a certain profile may suit your needs/taste/guitar the way it sounds as it is. Often, tweaking it can completely change its behaviour and personality. With the plenty of profiles available, many people have been got used to just disregard profiles they can't tame in a couple of minutes: they just try another one. But I'm sure it's just a matter of turning some knobs for those who know what they're doing :)

Also, many profiles sound very good in a mix but may seem weak/unpleasant by themselves, specially to those not used to recording sessions. And it's worth pointing out that a sound which is good for a certain mix doesn't necessarily sound good in a different one.
    Most factory profiles fall under this chategory IMO

So I believe there's a lot of ground to explore, if you feel inclined to :)

• Again, thanks a lot for the replies. I am pretty sure I'll go for a kemper as it really seems to fit the bill. Any recomendations between going for an active monitor like yamaha dxr10 or the power head and something like the Matrix q12?

• If you have access to a very good recording engineer, studio and live engineer and crew to carry your stuff, valve amps will most likely sound better, because you can set them up exactly like you want. Profile is a snapshot of settings of an amp tuned to a specific guitar/engineer preferences which may or may not be good for you.

Other than that, there are very few disadvantages of Kemper - it has a lot of pluses, small, light, consistent sound, easy to record.