Pedal Board setup - your experiences

• I know this is highly dependent on personal style and type of music played but I'd like to know what worked well (or not so well) for you.
    I started to program all of my songs as Performances to be re-called/controlled via the Behringer 1010 with Uno for Kemper and wasn't sure what approach to take.

Do you:
    1) Program each song as a performance and just switch slots for various parts of the song (intro, solo, verse etc.)
    2) Just select rigs with the slots and control your sound by switching effects on and off?
    3) Something else...

What works best for you live?

Rainer

• All of the above (but, I'm still using MIDI program numbers live, instead of Performance Mode - I already had it programmed)

For a lot of songs, I use an individual sound, and use the guitar controls for the different sections. Turn it up for the lead (that sort of thing...)

For songs with radically different sounds in them, I change to a different Rig/Effects combination.

If it is a subtle difference, I add/subtract delay or chorus with a footswitch within the rig, or tap tempo the delay longer for a solo, etc. ''

• I got 4 patches for our set (50+ songs) : clean, crunch, drive and lead all based on same amp (Diezel Vh4 from TAF)

Controled via midi with my Pod Hd500, 4upper switch programmed like this : C Slot (distorsion pedal), MOD , DLY and X slot (graph eq) as volume and mid boost for solos , expression pedal to control wah, 2nd expression as volume.

I don't use performance mode, only on browser mode, I'm feeling ok like this!

• I have about 8 performances, each based upon a different amp, so for example, an AC30 performance, a Fuchs, a Bassman etc. Each performance has 4 or 5 difference profiles of the same amp going from clean on the left, to crunchy on the right.

I have the same stomp set up for each amp, including compressor, Green Scream, studio eq, ad chorus, with a solo boost in X and tremolo in the MOD slot. I have duplicate performances with a different effect in slot D, so if I ever need a wah for example, I just go to that performance.

I have two "pedal boards" that I use. One is a chopped FCB1010 and the other is a 4 button FS, and I use either depending on the circumstances of the gig.

In this way, I can play around with different amps in a gig. We play a mix of rockin' blues, jazz and a bit of surf, so I can cover it all.

I've played about 10 gigs like this and it works out ok, although I have to admit, managing the volume/gain impact of switching different fx is driving me a bit mad.

• I got 4 patches for our set (50+ songs) : clean, crunch, drive and lead all based on same amp (Diezel Vh4 from TAF)

Controled via midi with my Pod Hd500, 4upper switch programmed like this : C Slot (distorsion pedal), MOD , DLY and X slot (graph eq) as volume and mid boost for solos , expression pedal to control wah, 2nd expression as volume.

I don't use performance mode, only on browser mode, I'm feeling ok like this!

Same here. Been using the HD500 and has worked out great.

• I have the FCB1010 pedalboard with old Uno chip.
    I set the upper row with stompboxes (B, C, D, MOD, Delay) and downer row with performance slots (clean, crunch, lead, etc.)

I don't need to switch on and off A stompbox because I usually set a gate. I never use X stompbox as well

If a stored slot has some stomboxes turned on, I simply program the pedalboard in order to turn on the stomboxes in the upper row.

• Both.
    Mostly I change slots for songs. But on some slots I kick inn effects, mostly Boost for lead fills, somtimes to add a delay, asn sometimes harmonizer.
    Have stomps on upper and slots on lower. All stomps are on same location in each slot so I can add/remove effect if needed.
    Dont use Performance Mode but have set midi channels so it works the same way on browser mode. Dont like Preformance mode since it changes some when I press bank up or down. In browser mode it dosen't change sound until I press a slot in any bank.
    Banks are set slot 1 clean sound, 2 chrunch sound, 3 drive sound, 4 clean/crunch lead, 5 drive lead. Som banks the sound are near dry and some have more effects.

Use FCB1010 witk Uno4Kemper.

• I use the Performances mostly to organize my amps.. The Slots basically control gain stages, the number 1 slot always is set to a gain of zero progressively up to max (7-10) in slot 5. Slot 3 is usually set between 3.5 to 5 based on the amp's response. I also use the slots to preset effects based on the entry point so sometimes slot 4 will have a similar gain to slot 5 but the effects combination are different. I also change cabinets and EQ in slots 4 and 5 based on the tone I'm trying to achieve.

I almost always use a compressor in Efx A, B is either EQ or Wah, C isDistortion, D is Modulation or Harmonizer effects. In the post section, I almost always have an EQ in X, though in some cases another compressor, a modulation effect in Mod, etc...

I have a few Performances set as Shredders with just amp/efx tones that I like and can audition when I'm looking for the perfect shredder lead tone. just quick auditioning..

In addition to FCB, I use an FS-6 for additional control of effects on off functions..

Gettin' funky up in here..

• I am a very lazy guy.

I mainly use 2 presets. One for clean, and one for dirty tones. HOWEVER, thanks to my pedalboard, I use programs of the same kemper preset, but varying with stomp fx ON/OFF. This is why I have in SLOT MOD a pure booster for my leads, and so on. I tended also to program in one stomp slot A-D a pure booster set very low to lower the gain of the profile and created a Crunch tone. Simple but really efficient. I did this full concert with one preset (except in the middle of Erotomania where I used a clean tone) for instance :
    http://www.dailymotion.com/djemass

I don't like to get too many presets, it distracts me... but the preset I use has to be perfect for me (thickness, agressivity, warmth, ...). The listener believes I used a lot of tones, but in fact they are amazed when I say them I use only the same tone... ahhh fingers ;)

• Both.
    Mostly I change slots for songs. But on some slots I kick inn effects, mostly Boost for lead fills, somtimes to add a delay, asn sometimes harmonizer.
    Have stomps on upper and slots on lower. All stomps are on same location in each slot so I can add/remove effect if needed.
    Dont use Performance Mode but have set midi channels so it works the same way on browser mode. Dont like Preformance mode since it changes some when I press bank up or down. In browser mode it dosen't change sound until I press a slot in any bank.
    Banks are set slot 1 clean sound, 2 chrunch sound, 3 drive sound, 4 clean/crunch lead, 5 drive lead. Som banks the sound are near dry and some have more effects.

Use FCB1010 witk Uno4Kemper.

This...

I am still working on getting things setup well, but this is the path I am on.

I don't think I will have the need for too many different performance slots, and like you, I intend on keeping a standard lineup of what level of gain is in each position.

What works good for you to boost into leads, and how do you set this up? I am new to the Kemper but am learning quickly. Thanks!

• Easiest way to boost a preset, if you're satisfied with the sound itself for lead play, is to put an EQ in Stomp D or X. Boost volume some Db's. Depending on type of sound it might be an idea to boost the mid range so it cuts better through the mix without beeing to load.
    I you put it in stomp D it will boost the gain for the amp also, in stomp X it will only add volume. Use them most for clean presets.

Another way is to use the boosters. If I use one of thoose it's in front of amp. Lead Booster is fine for som types of sound since it raises the midrange also. But some sounds might sound a little to narrow, if so I use the pure booster.

Sure you also might use a distortion in front of amp, but I found them "colouring" the sound of preset much more. On some it though may be the right pick. ex the Green Scream will make it have more midrange and little less bass, better.
    I use distortions on light crunch presets where I like to have both more volume and a littel more drive for the lead.

BUT....most of the time I use the spesific lead programs in position 4 and 5, they have more volume permanent. Boosting with stomp I use mostly if I like som short licks to bed header better or playing lead on a preset that sound very different from normal presets. Like a Gilmour preset with a lot of effects. Then boosting the preset is the best for keeping the rigth sound and not programming to many presets overall.

It's no rules for whats right or wrong here. You have to test different setups for your presets and find out on each one whats suites the sound you're after the best way. I useally make som copies(save As) and test different setups. They I play them and stick to the one Iliked best. In the start you will test and tweak a lot but after a while you'll have an idea of which way to boost that is best for the preset you're making.

• Still working things out but right now I've programmed for the following:

01-05 = Acoustic/Piezo
    06-10 = Cleans
    11-20 = Crunch
    21-23 = Driven
    24-25 = Bi-Amp ; )
    26-35 = Song patches $

Running mostly in effects mode, I can swap in and out out the effects I want for that rig. Wah, Modulation etc.

For now, this gives me enough to select from during sets without it being too daunting.
    (I suspect most of us groove with a handful of preferred rig choices anyway and then let our musical prowess extend from there)

Happy Kemper