Not getting a good sound.... On the verge of returning

• Yes, indeed, db9091. I just wanted to add here that I just started using the Kemper in a live situation, LOUD, and even when you use a different guitar/pickups/power amp/cabinet, that certainly doesn't mean that the sound won't be good. Just wanted to point that out, since often I read statements about the original intention of a rig as if it may not sound good except as "prescribed." Of course, as in the example given about SRV and using a Strat or single coil pickups or something similar, you definitely will be limited to what you can use with that rig.
    This weekend, I hooked up my Kemper to my Mesa-Boogie Stereo 50/50 tube power amp with the amps 12AX7s and JJ 6L6s and ran it through my Marshall 1960A JCM 900 cabinet with V 30's. I know the recommendation is to use a solid-state power amp and flat response monitor speakers in order to get as close to the intended tone as possible, but this sounds incredible too! I'm not in any hurry now to find a good power amp/monitor combination for it, because I am quite satisfied, to say the least.

Edit: By the by, I did have the Cabinets turned off in the Kemper rack. And db9091, I know you were not implying there is only one way to use a rig : ). Just a clarification, thanks.

• The Axe is more of a "build your tone from the ground up" type of thing. The Kemper is completely different. It's more like "capture the tone of your existing real-life rig or someone else's" .

Some people see the smaller amount of tweakable parameters within the KPA as a negative. I disagree. I find that the KPA is immensely easier to use and it's much faster to dial in a usable tone. There's so many advanced editing options available with the Axe that creating your tones becomes a hobby in itself.

This "build your tone from the ground up" has been written many times on many forums, but I think it's an urban myth that is repeated over and over. It is simply not possible to build up your tone by just a handfull of parameters. You have to chose an amp model first, as it makes a big difference. Then you tweak this model in certain boundaries. The Profiler is not very different in that aspect, but here you chose your "model" out of thousands of profiles available, then you go from there.
    Some state with profiles you rely on somebody elses work and tone, if you don't have your own amps to profile. But with modeling amps, you always have.

We have skipped the "pseudo amp pimping" philosophy by not featuring capacitor or transformer parameters, and reduced our parameter set to what is crucial. Two of these parameters were even ennobled by Fractal Audio. They took over "Definition" and "Pick Attack" into their parameter set :)

The parameter "Definition" is indeed a very powerful parameter: It defines how the amp distortion responds to the guitar and pickup. High values makes the profile work better for humbuckers, while low values are better for single coils. But this is just a rough dependency. If you feel a profile does not work well, try to modify the Definition parameter to make it fit. It's easy.

• Yes, and instead of some fance named parameters - which in the end only boost/cut some frequencies - it's much easier to fine tune the KPA.

Use the amp/cab block parameters - and if that brings you not in the right direction - place an EQ block before and after the amp (slot d / x).

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• [quote='Der_JD','index.php?page=Thread&postID=137752#post137752']

We have skipped the "pseudo amp pimping" philosophy by not featuring capacitor or transformer parameters, and reduced our parameter set to what is crucial. Two of these parameters were even ennobled by Fractal Audio. They took over "Definition" and "Pick Attack" into their parameter set :)

Nice. Imitation is the best form of flattery. :thumbup:

• I never saw the post in which he said he was shipping his Axe. Did he delete it, or did I miss something? 8|

anyways Layne, if you're still having issues, I posted about something similar (kind of) in another thread that may have a few relevant points for you:

Anyways, dont mind those on the forum accusing of "trolling". Any decent musician knows that there are many great devices out there, just as there are great guitars out there.
    "Fanboy"-ism is silly and immature and all it does is cause the person to limit themselves in their own options.

I tried (extensively!) and Axe 2 before I went with the Kemper and never looked back. For me, it took too long dialing in a decent tone with the Axe 2. I actually like to PLAY my guitar rather than tweak things as minute as "tube bias" or whatever! :)
    Also I preferred the sound of the KPA for my music. Personal choice, but I will admit that the Axe 2 was also a very good unit. I would have kept both if I had had the funds at the time, and I dont feel like paying for an item upfront and being put on a "waiting list". To me, if you pay for something, you get it then and there (or sent out to you then and there). I dont like the Fractal business sales model. But maybe I'm old fashioned that way! :P

• I am still having issues....

Got it sounding awesome through the cab because I profiled my axe presets.

Sounds horrible through headphones or interface... Honestly, I am really disappointed...

I don't understand what good is a profiler if u have to have the guitar to achieve every sound of the profiler.. Not literally but to imitate the sound? Am I crazy for thinking this?

This works for cases of guys who own 10+ guitars i guess?

I don't have time to sit here and tweak this amp for hours on end.... I needed something that worked for me without much headache...
    Man, this has not been the case...

I have 5 days left until I return it... Going to try and make the most of it...

• It sounds good through a cab but not good through studio monitors?
    Why anyone would judge a guitar tone through headphones completely mystifies me...it's like expecting great tube amp guitar tone through a cabinet with two 1 inch speakers.

The Profiles have nothing to do with guitars, I have 150 guitars in stock, I've used two since getting my Kemper nearly 3 years ago...a Tele and a Les Paul.
    It takes me less than 30 seconds to tweak any Profile for either guitar...just like on a real amp.
    For single coils first thing I do is add the brilliant Kemper Compressor stomp upfront.

I'm not sure what you're looking for?
    Forget your Axe-FX tones, you're trying to make your Kemper sound like your Axe-FX...what's the point of that, if that's what you want then just keep the Axe and sell the Kemper.
    The Kemper doesn't aim to sound like the Axe-FX, the Kemper aims to sound like a guitar amplifier...maybe your ears need to get used to that?

• I'm not sure what could be the issues because all the profiles I made of the axe-fx sound literally identical through my interface

Headphones would be the last way I would judge a modeller I haven't had the greatest results with any modeller (actually the kemper with some 'space' is probably the best!)

How are you running it into your interface? spdif? Any chance of putting up a sound clip?

Even do one of the axe patch and the kemper profile of it

I'd be happy to put up a comparision of a profile I've done of the axe and the original patch just to show how close it is (even look at the infamous keith merrow YT video where he does the same)