Electrovoice EV ZLX 12

• While doing my deskresearch I found out about the Pure Cab function. That harshness they talk about could be what annoys me...So for what I'm reading almost everybody (who goes FRFR) uses this?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

No, i don't, it ruins my sound, makes it narrow and weak, just like a pod.

• Actually a good friend of mine when he bought his used kemper liked it's sound but he wasn't so thrilled with it. Compared to my kemper he definetely liked my sound and we compared the 2 kempers with the same profiles and settings etc, except he had pure cab enabled (it's on after a system reset). So after he disabled it on his unit the sound opened up and became more dynamic and defined and he finally was satisfied from his unit's sound. So it's not only my opinion. But this doesn't mean anything because maybe some people like @Ingolf like it. Try it and tell us what you think.

• It all depends on how much phase cancellation (and reinforcement, a result of comb filtering) is incurred during the mic'ing process and whether or not it contributes positively, to your ear, to the tone or not, for any given Profile, IMHO.

If you like the bite produced by, say, an angled SM57, often used in high-gain setups for extra mix-cutting and definition of rhythm tones a-la SinMix, Keith Merrow or Ola Englund, there'd be no benefit in cranking the parameter up 'cause it'd tend to smooth out the sound and remove a portion of the perceived attack brought about by the controlled-and-tuned (by tweaking the mic position) phase cancellation & reinforcement of frequencies inherent in this comb filtering.

In effect, it's an ingenious algorithm that seeks out and destroys phase cancellation, thereby removing, to an extent determined on a scale of 0 to 10, the "signature" of the mic used, where said signature is imparted by way of phase-shift and recombination with the direct signal. IOW, the mic sees things in its own special way, sometimes accentuated by the angle it's employed at, and this fingerprint is imposed on the natural direct sound of the setup (in-the-room sound). The feature simply allows us to remove it to taste.

• It all depends on how much phase cancellation (and reinforcement, a result of comb filtering) is incurred during the mic'ing process and whether or not it contributes positively, to your ear, to the tone or not, for any given Profile, IMHO.

If you like the bite produced by, say, an angled SM57, often used in high-gain setups for extra mix-cutting and definition of rhythm tones a-la SinMix, Keith Merrow or Ola Englund, there'd be no benefit in cranking the parameter up 'cause it'd tend to smooth out the sound and remove a portion of the perceived attack brought about by the controlled-and-tuned (by tweaking the mic position) phase cancellation & reinforcement of frequencies inherent in this comb filtering.

In effect, it's an ingenious algorithm that seeks out and destroys phase cancellation, thereby removing, to an extent determined on a scale of 0 to 10, the "signature" of the mic used, where said signature is imparted by way of phase-shift and recombination with the direct signal. IOW, the mic sees things in its own special way, sometimes accentuated by the angle it's employed at, and this fingerprint is imposed on the natural direct sound of the setup (in-the-room sound). The feature simply allows us to remove it to taste.

Right. The way I see it, Kempler supplied a quite innovative method called PureCab to help us guitarists make the transition to FRFR more easily. It will work differently with
    1) different rigs and
    2) different preferences/expectations
    as @Monkey_Man has eloquently stated.
    It's another tool in our arsenal and might help to improve your Kemper + FRFR experience.
    And, as always, YMMV.