HD500 LEDs still mismatched with KPA stomps? I think I have the definitive solution!

• As many of us have, I decided to use my HD500 as a midi controller for the KPA.

As explained on the "HD500 as midi controller" thread (which expired over 90 days ago) I set up dummy stomps in each HD500 patch to enable the foot-switch LEDs to operate. I matched their on/off status to the corresponding rig status as saved on the KPA. I then saved the HD500 patch.

Even though I had set up each HD500 patch very carefully I still got odd results from the KPA when calling up certain rigs. Sometimes KPA stomps were off that should be on, or vice versa, irrespective of the HD500 LEDs which still displayed the expected stomp status. This was not corrected by stepping on the relevant foot-switch, it simply reversed the on/off status between the two machines, still leaving the stomp status and LEDs mismatched.

I now think I understand the problem and I hope this explanation will help anyone else who may be as confused as I was.

The HD500 LEDs reflect the on/off status of the HD500 dummy stomps, they do not of themselves send any data to the KPA. The secret lies in the midi data assigned to each foot-switch. It is the midi data which is actually sent by the HD500 to the KPA each time you call up another patch or subsequently turn a stomp on or off.

If you are experiencing the problems I had, just check when you set an HD500 foot-switch to "on", that the corresponding midi "VALUE" =127, if the HD500 foot-switch is set to "off" make sure the corresponding midi "VALUE" = 000. Then save it.

I did this and now the HD500 LEDs and the expected KPA rig status match every time I change rigs and the foot switch LEDs remain in sync with the KPA.

Please post on this thread if this solution does, or does not, work for you, just in case there is more research to be done.

Thanks
    Paul

• Great post - I've been having a problem with this, so I'm looking forward to the fix. The problem for me was that some of my preset effects stayed on and worked great for some rigs and didn't for others. I think I must have realized early on that I had to set the ones that worked to 127, but forgot that I did that. Thanks!

• I tried to use my HD 500 as a controller for the Kemper. It was a study in frustration. So I bought the Behringer 1010 and the Eureka Prom chip mod. It works wonderfully. The HD 500 is back in its original box on a shelf in the garage.

• If you are using 2 midi cables shouldn't the KPA automatically send the midi data of what the stomp states are to you foot controller? I use an old Roland controller and couldn't make that part work but have a simple enough rig that it is not too hard for me to remember what to do on each song.

• I've been using my HD for over 3 months and struggled at the beginning with the stomps until I found out by accident that you need to save the patch in the HD. I have a Variax so everything works really good together. I can't say enough about the Kemper. Players come up and can't believe the sound is coming out of that unit. Just keeps getting better.

• If you are using 2 midi cables shouldn't the KPA automatically send the midi data of what the stomp states are to you foot controller? I use an old Roland controller and couldn't make that part work but have a simple enough rig that it is not too hard for me to remember what to do on each song.

I don't think the HD500 supports MIDI in. I think it's only got a MIDI out and thru.

• Yeah I've been using the Hd as a controller and it works just magnificient here, even the footpedal... For the led s mismatched , all I had to do was resave the HD , (get out of programmer ) and re save when all was in sync with Kremper and it works great.

• I agree that the HD500 is a great midi controller for the Kemper! My only issue is saving Bank A as "on"... I can do it with the other Banks and Mods, but not with Bank A for some reason... anyone else have this problem?