OKKO Diablo Gain+ … is it worth?

• Hello!
    I like the sounds of http://www.gregorhilden.de.
    That's the reason why i´m thinking about buying this pedal, but i'm not sure if there are similar possibilities with onboard KPA-stomps.

My questions to those of you who had experiences with the OKKO Diablo:
    Is it worth the 230 Euro?
    Any tips for a stomp inside KPA to simulate an OKKO?

(I know Armin from soundside did some profiles with the OKKO but i think it's not the right way for me because i couldn't exchange the amp)

Thanks in advance for every answer!

• Hi!

I bought an Okko Diablo some months ago and sold it because everything I tried was too far from the sound that G. Hilden gets from it with his super dynamic playing and awesome vintage amp.

Saludos!

• Ahem... I don't mean to sound like bad mouthing anyone or anything but there are people that think that G.H. always sounds the same no matter what pedal he features in his videos.
    I think it's more the way he plays (awesome player) and the combination of amp settings he uses.

• OK, thanks for your answers, paccocito and Ingolf!
    You are right, G.H. has his own special sound - no question about that.
    Even no matter which guitar he plays.
    But … maybe the OKKO pedal is the reason for his sound. :D

Seriously: have you any hints which KPA-stomp could be the right way to go (if there is no need for an Okko)?

• I had Okko Gain+ and played it with Toneking Imperial. Liked the combination very much for bluesy and classic rock tones.
    But as I got Kemper I sold it because the similar sound you can get with some Marshall(esque) profile easily.

• Ahem... I don't mean to sound like bad mouthing anyone or anything but there are people that think that G.H. always sounds the same no matter what pedal he features in his videos.
    I think it's more the way he plays (awesome player) and the combination of amp settings he uses.

It maybe good or bad depending on listener but I feel the same way too.

• zombie, where are you from? if you happen to stop by in munich, i still have a pedalboard with all the okkos and some others. fwiw, i tried a lot of pedals once and really liked the okko-stuff, especially twin-sonic & diablo. also great to have both in a row... : )

• It's always the player and not a pedal.... ;)

Of course Gregor's setup is very good, mostly Fender Vibrolux amps and a lot of great guitars. The guitar is essential when it comes to a great guitar-tone. I'm owning several Vintage guitars and they all sound much better than new ones, even Custom shop-models.

I bought the Okko Diablo several years ago and it's a great pedal, personally I prefer the Fulltone OCD, but it's all a matter of taste and playing-style. I'm also using the Okko "Coca Comp"-pedal, a great booster/compressor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• Hi G Zombie.........maybe a dumb one, but are you a kemper owner? since you are here I guess you are. I just heard the sound clips in the website you mentioned. good sound but nothing the kemper can already do and getting even better.

why spend 230 euros for what you already have?

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• ...owning several Vintage guitars and they all sound much better than new ones, even Custom shop-models....

Maybe you will find THIS interesting. :)
    And HERE is the same topic in English.
    And HERE
    again, only presented a bit differently.

Finally the trial above was repeated and described HERE.

In summary, scientifically speaking, there's much evidence that it is not the age that determines the final quality of an instrument.

I didn't want to be too much OT here, sorry. ;)

P.S.: edited for better source documentation.

I really like Gregors playing but I always found his tone boring as hell when he used the "clean Fender plus Okko pedal" in his videos (and sometimes on stage). He is utterly exciting when he plays straight into a cranked amp - what he does on his records. Then he shines and there's tone in spades. But that "clean plus Okko" never did it for me. It always sounds like generic blues lift music then and every guitar sounds the same. I always wondered why he uses that approach when he showcases the guitars he wants to sell. IMHO you can't tell a chinese Strat from a '59 Burst with that approach :P

• Hi there

do not know about the Diablo. However, I have 5 overdrive pedals in front of my KPA (and Mesa) and really like it. I just choose for example a nice clean sound and get more colors with the pedals. Probably not the usual way :) but I like the result at least..

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

PS have 2 Fulltone pedals, TS, Riot, Professor something

• Hey Tom, welcome here :)

You signing here sounds promising tho ;)

Hey Gianfranco,
    thanks.

And to contribute to the discussion:
    Even if I had a Kemper I would not sell my Okko. Why should I? Different occasions, different gear. I am using a Rack System (Engl with G-System) and I like it. I am also using a TA-15 with a Pedalboard. I like it. Is Use Guitar Rig. I like it. It depends on the situation which gear I would prefer.

Having a Kemper ( my guess would be to get a powered Rack-Version in the near future) there would be occasions to use it. :)

Tom

• I didn't want to be too much OT here, sorry. ;)

Playing a vintage instrument is very different from playing a new instrument, it's not just about the tone ;)

Anyway I'm just talking about my own experience and my vintage guitars sound better, especially the old Fenders and Gibsons.

But you're right, it's OT.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

• +1

e.g. my old Telecaster sounds very different from any new one I tried.

As for the Okko - I own one and like it a lot - but I currently do I not use any pedals together with the KPA.

IMHO can we create most of the sound of other overdirve pedals by useing this:
    --- EQ ---- Drive ---- EQ ----

(yes, we get not 100% but close enough)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Playing a vintage instrument is very different from playing a new instrument, it's not just about the tone ;)

Anyway I'm just talking about my own experience and my vintage guitars sound better, especially the old Fenders and Gibsons.

But you're right, it's OT.

Did you read the quotes? ;)
    In the quoted sources the instruments (violins in that case) that were evaluated against each other had REAL vintage instruments among them (e.g. super expensive and super vintage Stradivarius violins).
    In a double blind scenario not only couldn't the experienced players differentiate between old and new, they also did NOT choose one of the oldest and most vintage instruments as the best sounding.
    And it wasn't about the tone but also the playing and haptical feel as well.

Surely I don't want to stir any controversy here, but as I'm trained to perform and take part in international clinical trials all the time the situation is as follows:
    Your personal opinion about something may have a very high evidence grade for yourself but in general it is considered a low evidence grade (grade 3) as long as it is not backed up with more and consistent data from a double blind scenario. :)
    The trials conducted in he quoted sources all were attempts to collect data to back up myths like these (i.e. vintage = better) and sadly failed.
    Still I like your Strat! 8o

EDITED FOR TYPOS!