SPDIF recording question

• What is your SPDIF Output set to? Make sure it is Master Stereo if you are reamping or just recording direct without intending to reamp and your track should be stereo. If you want to reamp the track set to Git/Mod and create 2 mono tracks in DAW, one for DI and one for wet for tracking purposes. The Wet track will not sound great at that point. Then reamp with output as Master Stereo to stereo track in DAW.

• I assume you're using the same cabs/monitors for listening back in both cases? Sorry if it sounds obvious to you, but troubleshooting is a rational sequence of stupid steps :D

• When you're recording through S/PDIF, I'm thinking you should be getting a raw guitar/instrument track in one side of L/R and a raw, no effects track on the other side of L/R. It shouldn't sound like what you're getting from the analogs... When you reamp the (raw guitar/instrument) track into a new set of analog tracks, you'll get the effects and amp sound that you're accustomed to hearing.

One thing that I always do, is record my analog tracks while I'm recording my S/PDIF tracks (and I record S/PDIF as 2 mono tracks instead of stereo). This way I can reference the analogs as the desired sound while I recorded it. I'm always making a rough mix for first reference and the analog track is perfect for that mix.

Also, I can use the mono guitar/amp (non effects) S/PDIF track and just add reverb and delay to play with outboard effects.. sometimes this is all that I need. But then when I want to reamp, I have the mono S/PDIF source track to playback through to the KPA unit. It doesn't use both digital tracks for reamping, only one.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• How are you guys getting a usable level from the spdif DI level? I'm finding this feature unusable at this point, and wish I could capture a usable DI via spdif as opposed to running out into another DI input external from kemper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Beau McKee - Producing Engineer
    @ Frequency Studios
    RECORD - PRODUCE - MIX - MASTER
    Phone: +61 421 938 284

http://www.BeauMcKee.com

• How are you guys getting a usable level from the spdif DI level? I'm finding this feature unusable at this point, and wish I could capture a usable DI via spdif as opposed to running out into another DI input external from kemper

You'll need to have the output level of your soundcard to 0dB, as well as the track and master levels in your daw.

And your Clean Sense needs to be set properly. Is your signal to weak or to hot?

• Have you tried comparing the sound of (Instrument-Kemper-interface-monitors-headphones) without going through your DAW? Does that sound any different to you then listening after you put your DAW at the end of the chain and into the monitors/headphones? I have done A/B tests and consistently notice a difference in the sound, all else being equal. I posted this in the ProTools forum as well, and Katherine from Focusrite suggested it was possibly the sound of Pro Tools' engines that I didn't like. Some of the sparkle is taken out of the guitar sounds, duller, as you mentioned. I've tried using Reaper and Sequoia DAW's to test this, and Reaper sounds the closest. I still use Pro Tools though, because I like using it. By the time I combine guitar tracks and drop it in the mix, it is unnoticeable.

Maybe your problem is different- maybe it's dull straight out of your interface into your speakers as well?