Clean profiles have static and distortion

• Running into a xitone 2x12 passive cab that was custom built to handle all the power of the kemper. Problem is after playing with a few profiles the clean profiles sound like shit. Theres a static distiortion noise thats almost as loud as the clean amp sound. I have tried messing with the clean sense and distorted sens, and it cleans it up a bit but its still there and sounds bad. My input and output settings aren't clipping. It sounds like a bad noise gate or something. Does this sound like a blown speaker or crossover or is it a bug that needs to still be fixed? Please help!

• It happens after playing for awhile? If you have not volume balanced the clean sounds to the gain sounds, you may be hitting the guitar harder with clean sounds. Any red LEDs on the Kemper when you play clean? If so, you may be overdriving a gain stage in the Kemper with playing dynamics. (It is sensitive enough to do that, if the player does not set it up for their style)

Test the Cab:
    Have someone else play their guitar through a Factory stock Kemper clean profile - just as loud as you have been doing, and long enough for it to happen.

If it does not happen, you are overdriving something when you play clean sounds after awhile.

If it DOES happen, switch to a different cabinet right away (a PA cab or monitor would work), and have them play some more. If the second cabinet does not IMMEDIATELY have the issue, the issue is in the first cabinet.

• I also have the Xitone 2x12 passive cab and it sounds great clean and distorted tones.

Maybe a dumb question but did Mick build your cab 16 ohms for the kemper. His standard 2x12 cab is 4 ohms.

you may have a blown speaker if you setup your clean sense and dist sense to your guitar. I use a PRS custom 24 and custom built strat and use 0 on the dist sense for both and set my clean sense at -1 for the PRS and 3 for the strat.

• ya mine is wired for 16 as well. But I figured if it was setup for all that extra wattage, you could turn up the clean and distorted sens. I had mine set differently per patch, but I put em lower, and noise is still there. Do you have the kemper powered version? If so, do you turn up the power amp, or leave it at 0? I have mine at zero. I did notice on some patches the output starts to clip. Never the input, I don't know how to control this without changing the tone of all my profiles. Any suggestions?

• Yes I have a power rack KPA. I have my poweramp booster at 6 db.

If a profile starts to clip at the output I just lower the volume a little.

Do you have a 3 db switch on your cab. I only use that on high gain metal tones, never clean tones.

Is it on all clean profiles ? Maybe a bad profile.

I would get a hold of Mick at Xitone and see what he says.

• I think it was static & distortion or what you hear when you have too much preamp gain. After utilizing the power amp more it feels more amp like. I would like to say i am getting what I feel to be normal amp hum. Has anyone messed with the ground loops or no any tricks for hum?

• 1) Uncross all wires. Use better quality wires
    2) Activate the buttons on the back of the Kemper for grounding. Those little red switches, they're there all right.
    3) Try with another power outlet and see whether results improve.
    4) Check the earthing in your power socket. There should be three wires. If the earth wire is not grounded, you'll get hum and possibly even shocks.
    5) Get one of those hum cancelling adaptors. It might work and it might not. I'd say this would be the last resort to get the hum to go away.

• I sometimes get a crackling static sound in the background if I'm using very high gain with a single coil (Strat) or split humbucker (Les Paul). I assume this reflects the absence of a second hum bucking coil.

Possibly of more interest is that I practice alongside my PC using rig manager. Most of the noise disappears when I move away from the PC. I have concluded that the noise is generated by the hard drives in the PC. Possibly I should also look at the shielding and earthing in my guitars, but I am not so worried about that, having identified the source of the noise.

I hope this is of some help.

• Yesterday while tracking, I was using a patch that as the note decays, you hear a sort of static or crackle right at the end. I need to go try to re find that patch and see if it was patch specific. At first I was thinking it was the noise gate stepping in and taking control of the sound, but the noise gate was at 0. Realistically, you would rarely hear that in the track. Only if you are holding out a chord as everything else around is fading...

• The static in the tail sounds like the same problem I've experienced in many clean profiles. And I believe Armin opened a support ticket related to it. But it doesn't seem to be happening to enough people to gain traction as an issue.

• I've noticed this too.

Duesenberg CC Fullerton, Heritage H535, Guild Starfire 4 ST, Fender American Standard Strat and Tele, Taylor 816CE, Fender Precision bass, Suhr Badger 35 Amp Head, 1x12 cab w/Scumback M75, 1x12 cab w/Celestion G12m-65 Creamback, Fractal Audio Systems AX8, 2 DXR10's, Kemper Profling Amp, Presonus Studio One 3 Pro, Focusrite Clarett 8Pre, Vox AC15, Vox NT G2 and more pedals than I should own.

• Yesterday while tracking, I was using a patch that as the note decays, you hear a sort of static or crackle right at the end. I need to go try to re find that patch and see if it was patch specific. At first I was thinking it was the noise gate stepping in and taking control of the sound, but the noise gate was at 0. Realistically, you would rarely hear that in the track. Only if you are holding out a chord as everything else around is fading...

This... Exactly the same thing I was hearing. I made some of it go away by boosting my power amp above 5, but you can hear it. Really only audible, like you said, when you hold out a chord for a while, but when you hold out over drops in music it crackles and sound bad. I think this should be on the next fix on the firmware update.

• I think that the same thing is happening to me!
    I've uploaded some samples:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vrs…AACE60hZ6sB_h4q0_EU2QyWea

Let's see if this is same thing that you guys are getting. I was starting to fear I was the only one to have found this noise-crackling problem.
    For the samples, in Git Studio (the un-processed signal) i think the noise is not present so it seems to be an Amp section issue. For the with Cab file, the static-crackling (whatever you call it) it's faint audible, but with the Cab off you can clearly hear it. Also uploaded one of the rigs for which I'm getting the crackling noise.

In the meantime I sent a Kemper support ticket 2 days ago but haven't had any kind of answer yet.
    Tell me if this is the same noise you are getting so we can state an "official problem".

• We have investigated this crackling issue lately.
    We were able ro reproduce it in several situations with several guitars.
    First we found out that it does appear on rigs with a crystal clear highend - that is typical for good clean profiles.
    The Pick parameter will also emphasize this crackling, as some stated before.
    Then we found out, that it does not appear with every guitar.

Eventually we were able to reproduce the cracking without using the profiler, just by plugging the guitars straight to the instrument input of an audio interface and boost high frequencies with an equalizer - it was the guitars that produced this noise, not the Profiler, to our surprize.

• We have investigated this crackling issue lately.
    We were able ro reproduce it in several situations with several guitars.
    First we found out that it does appear on rigs with a crystal clear highend - that is typical for good clean profiles.
    The Pick parameter will also emphasize this crackling, as some stated before.
    Then we found out, that it does not appear with every guitar.

Eventually we were able to reproduce the cracking without using the profiler, just by plugging the guitars straight to the instrument input of an audio interface and boost high frequencies with an equalizer - it was the guitars that produced this noise, not the Profiler, to our surprize.

Thank you Mr Kemper for working in this issue, as it seems to be affecting quite a lot of people!
    So, if you say it's a guitar-related problem, I'll try the same profiles on a different guitar. Strange thing is that I never noticed this crackling thing before I began working with the KPA, entering the same guitar to normal Amps or a digital interface (even with a cranked up High-EQ) did never produce any crackling. Let's see other users' opinions.

Hoping you find something more on this issue!

Thanks again, and continue working like this, you guys at Kemper are building an amazing product (if its not one already... 8) ) !

Edit: I've now tried tried with all my guitars, with different pickups (active, passive, single-coil...) and the problem appears with all the guitars. It mainly happens if I put the Treble and Presence quite high, though in some rigs this also happens even with flat eq.

Edited 2 times, last by kukulkahn ().

• Another note:
    I've been lately making a lot of tests and hearing carefully. For me it seems as this crackling is nothing else than Gain. The kind of crackling artifact that is heard when Gain is at 0.0 is subtle though audible, but just as you start increasing the gain, the crackling incresases and begins to build up until it becomes the Amp's distortion itself. At least, this is what my ears are telling me after lots of listening.

Could perhaps be an issue of some kind, where some rig's gain is not absolutely 0 although the parameter is set to 0.0?
    This may also fit with the fact that different guitars produce very different output levels and thus, the amp enters in distortion before with some guitars than others; being 0 gain not "enough low" to keep clean those guitars with a hot output (although clean sense has been properly adjusted). That may be the reason to why some guitars are producing the crackling and some others aren't.

It would be nice to listen what CKemper thinks about this possibility!