Obtaining that amp in the room sound

• Hi i am planning to buy an amp combo and feed the kemper to the fx return of that amp to obtain that amp in the room sound my question is that does power amp matter what type of power amp do i need

• This thread has the potential to get very scientific. :thumbdown: :)

If you have a Powered Kemper...
    Powered Kemper (Cabinet OFF) plugged into a Cab with guitar speakers = Amp in the room.
    Powered Kemper (Cabinet ON) plugged into passive FRFR = Amp in the room.

Or, non powered Kemper (Cabinet OFF) plugged into FX return of "amp combo" = Amp in the room.

"Amp in the room" IMO is not dependant on what poweramp you use, you can use a SS or tube poweramp.
    If the poweramp is being plugged into guitar speakers then it's recommended you turn Cabinet OFF, if the poweramp is being plugged into passive FRFR speakers then leave Cabinets ON.

What do you mean by "Amp in the room"? :thumbup:

• This thread has the potential to get very scientific. :thumbdown: :)

Let me help you with that;

Nevermind physics, duude! Tone is in the fingers!

Seriously, now.
    You probably want a clean poweramp that would color the profiler's signal as little as possible. I'd go with SS as the profiler does attempt to make your sound more tube-like and you probably don't want that to clash with the actual tubes.
    I had a decent experience with a Laney Lionheart combo, but i believe it can be done better. Ideally, you'd get a dedicated power amp and not a combo.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I was thinking about this because of the preamp profiles that kemper has released and i was thinking of obtaining that amp in the room sound through the power section of a tube or solidstate amp

Sent from my SC-06D using Tapatalk

• Yes, the Pre-Amp Profiles sound great through a poweramp/cab, but so do all the regular Profiles with Cabinet OFF.

You don't need a tube poweramp, a solid state amp does the job...the Kemper Profiles already have the characteristics of a tube built in, all the solid state poweramp does it amplify without adding colour.
    A friend of mine put a Celestion V30 into an old Roland Cube, plugs the Kemper into it, sounds great.

In other words, spend the money you were going to spend on an 'amp combo' on a solid state poweramp and cabinet.

Yes, the Pre-Amp Profiles sound great through a poweramp/cab, but so do all the regular Profiles with Cabinet OFF.

You don't need a tube poweramp, a solid state amp does the job...the Kemper Profiles already have the characteristics of a tube built in, all the solid state poweramp does it amplify without adding colour.
    A friend of mine put a Celestion V30 into an old Roland Cube, plugs the Kemper into it, sounds great.

In other words, spend the money you were going to spend on an 'amp combo' on a solid state poweramp and cabinet.

Thank you guitartone

• IMHO is frfr the best way to use the Kemper.

By useing a real (combo) amp we get all this:
    -Tone coloring from the power amp
    -Tone coloring from the speaker/cabinet
    -Tone coloring from the "cab off" filter
    -Tone coloring because the cab filter from the profile will not be used

In other words - it sounds not even close to the real amp / cab used during profileing.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I agree with Armin and the main reason why I went for an FRFR route. IMHO the cabinet and speaker/s contribute to the signature sound of an amp and going FRFR has the least sound coloration amongst the options when playing KPA.

• I,m also starting to look for a small live rig, something better than. My 6" studio monitors. I keep ending up at the Yamaha DXR site.
    The 10" DXR,s seem to get very high marks here and I,ll prob go for them , but, I,m concerned about using a cab with tweeters. I,ve never liked the sound of a guitar thru tweeters. Is this why you're considering using a powered guitar amp cab. ?

• Yes, the Pre-Amp Profiles sound great through a poweramp/cab, but so do all the regular Profiles with Cabinet OFF.

LesPaul into Kemper out to Alessis RA 150 SS Power Amp out into 4 X 12 Laney cab with cab sim off really does it here !! I havent had better anywhere.