Me again, how to SPDIF?

• I really can't tell - the difference in tone and sound is completely... Well, different :) Are they all the kemper?

lIf you want a true comparison, then use the main outs with no stereo effects active (turn all post-amp effect slots off), then plug one of the outputs into the tascam and one output into the focusrite (provided you are able to hook them both up). That way you get the exact same tone and exact same performance on both. That way you can compare apples to apples. Record both these on separate tracks in logic, and then do any further level matching if necessary (this is important - otherwise the loudest always wins due to how our ears/brains work).
    Make sure to hook eveything up the same way (i.e., line inputs on both etc.).

Red is bad, yes, but green is not necessarily good enough (though it is an indication). Look at the meters in the mix control window, and keep the peaks at around -12 max. That should keep you at a proper level, with less risk of clipping on fast transients, which may not show up on the halos (and maybe even on the meters?).

• Yes they are all Kemper. The ones on the Scarlett sound much better. More Hi Fi, more clarity, everything is better. It seems pretty obvious to me lol! The one on the Tascam sounded like shit!

According to this in the manual, green is what you want as it represents a present signal. I am keeping it around -12. :)

4. GAIN 01 and GAIN 04 - adjust the input gain for the signals at Inputs 1 to 4 respectively. The gain controls have concentric bi-colour LED ‘rings’ to confirm signal level: green indicates an input level of at least -24 dBFS (i.e., ‘signal present’), the ring then turns red when signal level reaches 0 dBFS.

• Yes they are all Kemper. The ones on the Scarlett sound much better. More Hi Fi, more clarity, everything is better. It seems pretty obvious to me lol! The one on the Tascam sounded like shit!

According to this in the manual, green is what you want as it represents a present signal. I am keeping it around -12. :)

OK, in that case, yes. Keep it green. And record in 24 bit depth :-).

Keep it well below red light. -12 or even lower should do it. -20 would be fine as well, but -12 is fine (strum fairly hard to be safe when checking levels, but not bashing the strings (unless that's how you play normally :-)). I'm assuming it's set to line inputs as well, not mic level.

You should redo the recordings with the exact same profile and settings on the kemper for each interface - literally just unplugging from one interface and plugging into the other between recordings. And play the exact same thing, as closely as possible :)

• How do I control the volume when using SPDIF? The volume knob is bypassed I believe and lowering the channel meter in Logic only takes volume away but doesn't change the input level.

I'm also losing the volume I had yesterday when using 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch. It's recording a lot less loud with nothing changed. I don't get what's going on.

It went from this: https://soundcloud.com/stream

to this (with nothing changed): https://soundcloud.com/farce_bandit/eh-1

What gives? At least now I know that the tone I want is there.

Edited 3 times, last by PhilUK84 ().

• You can lower SPDIF level on page 5 of the Output Menu. It will not affect the DI Signal in Git/Mod Mono etc settings. If you are hitting red territory on Mixcontrol meters with the DI signal via SPDIF you can decrease Clean Sense to compensate.

• You can lower SPDIF level on page 5 of the Output Menu. It will not affect the DI Signal in Git/Mod Mono etc settings. If you are hitting red territory on Mixcontrol meters with the DI signal via SPDIF you can decrease Clean Sense to compensate.

I have to decrease Clean Sens all the way to the bottom to get a signal that isn't hitting the red. This shouldn't affect my distorted tone, but it will affect any clean tone I try to record, won't it?

I also can't get the SPDIF output to reamp. I'm using inputs 9 & 10 to record the DI and wet respectively but the manual (I think) says that 7 & 8 are the SPDIF outputs, but when I select them in any format; stereo 7&8 or 7 or 8 as mono I don't get a reamp.

SPDIF IN and OUT – two phono (RCA) sockets carrying two-channel digital audio signals in or out of the Scarlett 18i8 in S/PDIF format. These are essentially Inputs 9 and 10 and Outputs 7 and 8 to/from the unit.

Any ideas? Google isn't helping much, it's too specific I think.

Edited 3 times, last by PhilUK84 ().

• I'll try. I never get any responses on that forum. 500 views and no replies, I literally have never had any help from there.

It's just I know people here are using similar interfaces as they've said before, and said I should just ask if I have issues, so I'm happy to wait as they probably just haven't seen it yet. :)

• Even thought this is vey well done, I still find it quite confusing. And since I run Logic Pro X, this even adds to the confusion. I think for novices a much more basic version with a bit more detail as to WHY each selection or choice is made is needed.

And for those of us that dont use the Sapphire for monitoring ( I monitor the digital audio out of my Mac Mini) that info in the video can be hard to understand. When it got to the Cubase related processes I just had to stop viewing it, since it was more confusing then clarifying.

A quick background. I use high complex software in my video work (compositing/motion tracking/editing/etc). But even with that familiarity, the Focusrite Mix software is something I understand only at its most basic level. Reamping will remain a mystery for a while longer. :)

• Sorry I haven't replied. I've been working and haven't had a chance, I'll do it in the morning. I decided to take it to practice today and it sounded pretty bad in the mix. It sounded pretty great alone but not like a real amp does with another guitar was added to the setting. I keep thinking that for it's a very expensive home recording tool, and it would be good if I were happy with it live, but I haven't been for months. Luckily I love the recorded sound I've been getting.

Anyway, I'll persevere and have another look at getting SPDIF working. Thanks!