Buying a Kemper, what else do I need?

• I am taking the plunge and will be getting a Kemper however I am not sure what I else I need to get. I am interested in the Kemper without the power amp. I will buy a separate power amp (suggestions?)

This is for home use and I want the amp in a room feel.

Here is a list of what I have. What do I keep and what do I need? If I love the Kemper, I am going to get rid of everything else.

Marshall JVM410JS
    EVH 5150 III 50w
    Marshall 1960AHW 4x12
    Mesa Rectifier 2x12
    Mesa 2x12 3/4 back

JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor

Thanks in advance!
    STB

• Welcome to the Kemper forum. I'm sure you'll really enjoy the KPA.

To be technically correct, the KPA is the preamp. What you'll need is a power amp to drive the cabs/speakers. (original post updated)

If it were me, I wouldn't buy any additional hardware until you become more settled with your KPA purchase. You have many options already based upon the hardware you listed.

1. The KPA sound great through a good set of headphones.
    2. You can get the FRFR sound by using you JBL LSR305 monitors. I'm using a set of LSR308s and they sound great to me. Some folks want the FRFR sound/experience, others don't care for it. You should try it and decide for yourself. Several folks on this forum are using the LSR305s and like them.
    3. You can go monitor out from the KPA to the fx loop in on any of your amps to utilize the power amp section and the associated cab. Probably not a long term solution, but would give you many sound options.

Make sure you have cab sim on for the JBLs and cab sim off for going in through the fx loop.

If you search this forum, you will find many discussions/options for FRFR and use of guitar cabs. You can also find discussions on amp in the room options.

Tony

Additional comment: The powerhead version will be too much for home use. I guess you could keep it turned way,way down, but seems like an overkill.

• You won't need any of those amps with the powered rack. I've had both of those amps and there are profiles of each available which sound super accurate. Sell the amps, sell the 2x12's (had both of those as well....meh). Keep the Marshall 4x12.

You'll have a nice setup with the powered rack into the 4x12.

Edited once, last by PBGas ().

• Make sure you have cab sim on for the JBLs and cab sim off for going in through the fx loop.

After having tested some amps' return sockets with the KPA, I have to say that switching cab off is not always a good idea.

Not sure about the reason yet, but I believe cab off works with amps gifted with a quite non-linear power section. Those which tend to distort in the pre work probably better with cabs on.
    It's not a matter of tastes, with my Peavey Bandit and some Fenders I've tried the Profiler sounded like an amp direct to mixer (with no cab): horrible to hear, and surely nobody's cup of tea. :|

:)

• Interesting.
    I've tried with Vox AC 30, Marshall 6100 and Fender Mustang and cab off was always the far better sounding option.
    And these amps surely differ a lot.

Yeah. Still not catching the rule here. I think I can exclude a broken Profiler, I think I'd have realized that somehow :/