Profiling with different guitars

• Hi just bought a kemper but waiting for it to arrive!

Just wondered, if you profile an amp twice with exactly the same settings and mic placement...etc, but with two different guitars (e.g. les paul + strat), will each profile sound slightly different?
    If so does each profile tend to be best suited to the type of guitar that was used for the original profiling?

Thanks!

• Theoretically, there should be no difference if the refining is done thoroughly enough.
    tl;dr i think you might notice a difference, but definitely not drastic and no, a profile isn't suited for a particular instrument any more than the amp settings you profiled do.

in full, though, as i'd love extend this discussion and learn something;
    I've done a few profiling sessions in very controlled environments and found that doing two minutes of random 'chugging' would sound different than chugging for two minutes, then playing full chords for two more minutes.
    That makes sense, obviously, but hitting 'refine' again afterwards and chugging for an extra two minutes would sound like i never did anything but chug.

It was confirmed that refining is an additive process (refining a second time does not negate the first), so i can only imagine that i was doing a back and forth -
    while i was chugging the profiler would 'pull' the internal settings a certain way and when i resumed chord-work it would pull the other way.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• The two profiles should sound identically.

But it's important to create more then one profile of each amp channel - in case you would like to use different guitars later.

As with the real amp will the KPA sound very different with various guitar types.

A slightly overdriven profile (when using a Strat) may be a crunshy profile for a LesPaus.
    And a bright profile - when using a Strat - may be very dark for the LesPaul.

There are three different ways to deal with this:

1) search for profiles created for the same guitar type
    2) profile for some common guitars (e.g. Strat, LesPauls)
    3) profile all possible amp settings - with different gain and tone stack settings

I use 3) in most cases ... but this means a lot of profiles where you have to pick the ones which fit for your guitars ...

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• There was a discussion about this and a thread some time ago. The author, I think, was guitartone and he demonstrated the results of profiling with a strat and a les paul on the same amp after refining. While there were subtle changes, I think the overall opinion was that what you played into the Kemper would have a greater impact (albeit, it might still be imperceptible to many) on the profile than the type of guitar. That's somewhat akin to Quitty's experience with the refining process.

• There is a difference, but not like what you are thinking. It's a small difference, probably related to the fact that different guitars have differing gains.

So if you did refining with a Strat vs LP you might notice a small difference shifting between the profiles, but their "flavor" would be identical, just a noticeable difference that can be tweaked even by using the Gain knob.

• yes basically, use the guitar you are going to use for the sound you're Profiling,
    .. or at least, refine it with the guitar you're going to record with.
    you know.. for that sound That Guitar And that Amp, then try different variations..that's all.
    minor changes could also be done after You've stored and Saved forever that chain of ''gear''
    i remember some posts about influences of Guitar In Profiling/Refining , .. there's a Topic/thread somewhere..
    but it seems it doesn't work
    http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…p%E2%80%A6;threadID=10957
    anyway..
    what you can hear about Useing a profile created W/different Refining guitars,
    is more or less Summerized here.
    https://soundcloud.com/sollazz…/kpa-refining-differences

• The Amp Factory offers profiles designed for specific guitar types (Strat, Les Paul), but I believe this is more for convenience in having less fiddling to do to later get a good tone.

I believe Andy did this only for the first pack for convenience reasons. TAF profiles are pretty much working very well in general but I think they often really shine with SC guitars.
    Andy is a SC guy himself IIRC.

• For me, the biggest variable is the output level of a guitar, compared to the guitar used to set up the sound with the amp that was profiled. The Kemper is extremely sensitive to input level. An amp dialed in for a 70s strat will sound different with Texas Specials, and even more different with humbuckers. Not just the tone - the way the rig responds to playing dynamics (my favorite thing about the Kemper).

Most of my guitars have SSH pickups - and, the single coils are hot enough to keep up with the humbuckers. When I first got my Kemper, all of the sounds had more gain than in the posted soundclips. I wasn't getting "amp like" dynamic range or touch sensitivity without having to tweak every rig.

Clean sense and Distortion sense to the rescue: Once I dialed in the clean sense and distortion sense to get closer to mainstream pickup levels, the Kemper really came alive - great touch sensitivity with both single coil and humbuckers.

BTW - One input setting works for me - from a strat with vintage pickups set to factory specs, to '80s hot humbuckers.

• I use my Kemper as I did with traditional amps... Now...

First I created some performances for the guitars I have.
    Than I realized that it could be much more useful creating various amps profiles performances.
    Now I have a lot o amps and can decide which one to use with that guitar to get that sound.
    The most fascinating thing to me is that I can preserve every guitar personality.
    It's obvious that not all the amps sound equally good with all guitars.
    Maybe an old tele sounds bad thru a triple rectifier... This doesn't mean tele is a bad guitar or mesa is a bad amp...
    Just choose the right amp for the right guitar than tweak output eq or cabinet parameters to optimize the sound according to your needs and taste.

• I believe Andy did this only for the first pack for convenience reasons. TAF profiles are pretty much working very well in general but I think they often really shine with SC guitars.
    Andy is a SC guy himself IIRC.

In general this is true. My 52 RI Tele and Strat have a field day with Andy's stuff, but since getting my LP, he's got many profiles there that shine with that. So ones I was luke-warm about before I now like on that guitar. This is most likely not because he is a SC guy, but that he has a variety of amps profiles, some of which just like Humbuckers better.

His first pack had some tailoring, and he tried with a later pack the same thing, but it was post-profiling EQ alterations in the low end frequencies in an FX slot.

BTW, I think Pete's Profiles love HB's in general.