Want to run Kemper through power amp and Cabinet. Which power amp to get?

• Hey there,

Sorry if there is a similar thread. Was searching but couldn't find anything helpful.

So, I purchased a Kemper today ( wasn't delivered yet) and want to play it live in a "traditional" way with my Engl e212 cabinet.

Only thing is, I need to get a power amp. Can you guys with similar set ups recommend anything? I was reading some good stuff about the Rocktron Velocity 300, any experiences? Don't know if that's import but I play Metal music with down tuned guitars...so I really want some power on stage.

A lot of questions but I'm really excited to get the thing :)

Maybe you guy can help me out.

Thanks!

• Hi and welcome to the Kemper Forum!

I use the Velocity 100 with a Extended 2x12 Bogner Cab as one scenario and it works well! Just make sure you select "monitor cab off" in the output section so that the cab simulation is disabled on the Monitor out.

Try also a powered FRFR speaker for better results like the Atomic CLR and always use the mains for FOH. :)

Have fun!

G

• Hey Chris, what is your budget for the power amp? :)
    If you like an all-in-one solution you might also consider a Camplifier, which is a retrofit module like the Kemper power amp but cheaper, less powerful and stereo (and different components of course).

Also, for a more traditional choice you might consider the excellent Matrix GT1000.

Enjoy the Profiler!

• Thank you guys a lot!

I will definitely consider the camplifier! I guess the Matrix is financially a bit too much for me...

TheLightspeeder: I read some stuff about the Rocktron Velocity 100 that it's ventilator would be extremely noisy. Would you say the same?

I live in Germany, the music stores in my area unfortunately don't sell any used stuff.

Would you say that there's a minimum of Watt the power amp should have to sound powerful? (Asking because for Camplifier are different versions out)

Sorry the questions but when it comes to hardware and technical stuff I'm just absolutely clueless :D

• yes, the Rocktron V100 has a noisy fan. I can live with it since it is in a separate rack case and when I use it on a gig, I don't hear it. If you run it at home for practicing you might get annoyed by it. To me, it's not the ideal solution but the easiest since I don't schlep my cab/power amp out for most gigs. So this is the easiest way.

otherwise, I use the Atomic Amps CLR Wedge or my studio set up.

When on fly dates, I just go FOH and deal with whatever is there. :)

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

• I also use and recommend the ISP Stealth. It's actually small enough to fit into the back of the lunchbox KPA, and it's incredibly loud. No trouble for playing in a band situation. It's 180W mono or 90W per side stereo, and it's a class A/B amp, rather than class D, so there isn't any harshness at high volumes (which is the reason most class D SS guitar amps need crazy high wattages). I was previously running my Kemper through the power section of my 6505 head, and the ISP sounds every bit as loud, and good, as the 6505. I had to bump up the bass a little bit to match the sound of the tube amp, but otherwise, it feels and sounds just as good to me. I'm super happy with it!
    It has great build quality, and for the price, I honestly don't think there's any better option for the Kemper!

• Would you say that there's a minimum of Watt the power amp should have to sound powerful? (Asking because for Camplifier are different versions out)

:D

It really depends on your needs. I'd go for the most powerful your money can buy, but it also depends on the cab you're going to use. Is your current one 120 W in mono? Are they mean value or peak?

The Camplifier 290 seems quite versatile, you can use it stereo (your cab accepts stereo connections), you can use 90 W in mono (over 4 ohm I guess) or bridge it and get 180 W, which is more than your cab can accept as a steady value it seems.

OTOH, in a very noisy band 120 W (your cab) might not be enough, but buying a more powerful amp won't solve this, unless you change cab as well.

• Thanks again for all the good advice!

The Kemper should be here in a couple of days. I guess I'll run it first through my Engl Powerball, just to give a try, but since one reason to buy the Kemper was to carry less weight around that won't be a long-term solution.

Definitely gonna check out the ISP stealth!

Regards,
    Chris

• Another ISP stealth user here. Very happy with its size and sound. Plenty of volume on tap thru a 2x12.

I'm not sure how GOlson gets it to fit in the back of the toaster kpa nicely. Its hangs out a bit and the power supply is almost the same size as the stealth. I just sit it next to the speaker cab at rehearsals. I also have the power supply and power cable taped to the stealth so I can throw it in a bag without getting tangled.

Here's my small practice setup at home:[Blocked Image: http://thefreemusiclabel.com/storage/music/brad-green/KPAISP.jpg]

I do wish I'd bought the powered kpa.. but they were not even released when I bought my kpa toaster.. I was planning to buy the power amp later and install but sadly that offer never happened. :(

• If you want to try something compact, inexpensive and decent, may I suggest the Electro-Harmonix EHX Magnum 44. It's a pedal format. I picked up a used one for $80 to run with my 1X12 cabinet. Works great, plenty loud.

• greenblob I didn't say anything about the power supply! haha That just usually sits somewhere beside or behind the KPA, or down on the floor or wherever. The actual amp though, if you tilt it upwards into the back of the Kemper, it actually will sit in there with the two front feet acting as an anchor point. Stable enough if you're not knocking it around. I might need to post a picture later, I don't know if I explained it well. But I'm actually planning to build a harness that will screw into the Kemper and hold the Stealth securely. I'm a drafter/designer at a steel fab shop, so they can build it for me. :thumbup:
    Awesome little amp though. It should also be said that it only weighs 1.2 lbs!

• If you come up with something good, could you make 2 of them? I'd happily sling a few $ your way to cover the hassle if it looked the goods. :thumbup:
    From memory, there are some threaded holes already in the back of the kemper housing you could utilize? I have a much smaller laptop power supply at home that is awful close to the specs on the ISP's supplied one (voltage and amps). Needs a different plug slapped on it though. I think I'll ignore all the warnings and give it a crack one of these days.

I almost bought one of those EHX Magnum pedal amps out of curiosity.. but really dont need one. I suspect clean headroom at volume would be a real issue. They do look cool though.

• greenblob For sure man. I made up a cad drawing of my plan for the mount tonight, and I'll be talking with the shop foreman tomorrow about material. Once we get it planned out, I could easily make a couple of them. I'll let you know!

• Hey, what I forgot to ask, can or does a power amp falsify the tone of the Kemper in any way?

I played it until now through my Engl Powerball, and basically it sounds good. But there's this dull, muffled side noise with it...

Won't get the chance to play the Kemper through a P.A. any time soon, unfortunately.

Cheers,
    Christoph

• Both poweramp and cab, if not completely neutral, will decrease the fidelity of your profile.
    So if you find something dull sounding you should definitely try a more neutral signal chain.

• Right now I use my Kemper powered Rack with a Palmer 1*12 (V30s) or my Mesa 1*12 (C90). I tend to like the Mesa better. I play directly in my mixing console as well, which is preferred for the reason not to color the original Amps sound.

• Have somebody experiences with Quilter Tone Block?
    I heard the band Helstar few days ago live and the guitarists played Pod HD and Digitech RP through the Tone Block in Marshall Cab, and it sounded awesome! Perhaps is this an option too.