Profiling stomp boxes

• Hi, I´m new here and thus haven´t read all threads in regards to Feature requests, so if this has been brought up before please excuse my ignorance.

Now, i don´t actually own a Kemper yet, but it is on its way to Norway as we speak.
    Ok, to the point:

There should be a way to profile stompboxes for use in the stomp box section of the kemper. I have many amazing old (and new) stomps, and would like to use them with profiles created by others. I realize that I can run them in front of the kemper, however if I was to bring all of them live f.ex, it would be very unpractical which for me is the reason I´m buying the Kemper. Also, one could exchange stomp profiles.

Just in and out of the stomp, and store in the stomp box section of the kemper, being brought into any rig at ones convenience.

Good idea or?

Kristoffer

• Good idea - yet, at the moment, this is (to the best of my knowledge / guess) impossible. The stompboxes in the KPA are not profiles and what you describe is a profile. Thus, it would mean that the KPA has to be capable of running 2 profiles at the same time.

Yet, you can profile the stomp box together with an amp.

• Yes I understand that it is impossible as of this date, but it would be a nice feature. And yes, i have understood that I can profile a stomp box with my amp, but I sold all my amps, spare one, because of the space they were taking. I also want to use my stomps with the profiles of others.

Perhaps in the future :D

• Get a second Kemper for the stomp boxes :D

(yes, it's not possible as of today)

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• I have to say having the ability to profile your own stomp like an overdrive or distortion pedal would be a SERIOUS addition to the KPA.

I appreciate profiling delay and time based effects may be too complex at this stage (?) but being able to profile your own OD pedal would again be a VERY powerful and PERSONAL add.

I could put this function to use immediately and I suspect many others could too.

• Guys, a device able to profile any kind of effect would not just be an "addition" to the Profiler, it would imply a brand new concept and design.
    What the Profiler does is "amp profiling", not "profiling". It would not be a matter of just expanding its capabilities.
    It would be like saying: since they have invented the helycopter, why don't they go just a bit further and make one which goes underwater as well?

:)

• And you can profiler it, as well, but just because it's an amp.

OTOH, the ability to generally profile "an effect stomp" is a vastly different matter.

The FX section of the Profiler has by design nothing to do with profiling. FX are modelled.

• Profiler verses modeller, now I understand your comments.

It would be of significant value if CK posted his thoughts in this thread.

Many users/owners would be interested to know the exact position.

• I'm not saying this is a fix but for some of your pedals you might be able to connect into your kemper and then choose an fx/stomp and go back and forth until you get the settings to match up pretty close. Save it in your system. If you have specific pedals others might have post them and see if others can help. Just an idea.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• I'm not saying this is a fix but for some of your pedals you might be able to connect into your kemper and then choose an fx/stomp and go back and forth until you get the settings to match up pretty close. Save it in your system. If you have specific pedals others might have post them and see if others can help. Just an idea.

Agreed - this can work especially well with gain or distortion effects. Put an EQ before the distortion, and another after the distortion, and you likely can get very close to the sound of a specific box.

• This idea is really good coz, I remember a time ( a long time ago ... before the Kemper :D ) that a lot of guitar players don't use boutique amps BUT a good clean amp ( let say a Fender ... ) and a lot of stomp boxes in front of it .

Add to this that now, there is a real market of "boutique" stomp boxes ( Ethos, Zendrive, DUmkudo, OCD, Klon, ... ... ) that it could be very efficient to have this possibility on the Kemper.

May be, it's not impossible ??? = just have to know HOW the stomp boxes are created actually on the Kemper, then developp the accurate algorythm to recreat it starting from an external stomp box = you send the necessary "noise, sounds, ... " to this box, as when you profile, and get directly the output from this box instead of the mic ... and let the algorythm do the job.

The kemper is not powerfull enough to perform 2 profiles at once BUT it can use SEVERAL stomp boxes with a profile : so if the "profile" or "capture" of YOUR stomp box is in the correct format (thanks to an algorythm) : why not ?

... I'll be ready to pay (a correct amount) to add a such upgrade to my Kemper :love:

• If it was the goal of the Kemper Company to make "easy" money - they would surely provide further stomp boxes for extra money. From what I understand, it's not that much of a hassle to come up with reasonable digital representations of what a stomp does. Also other companies do that very well.
    For people like me who like other nuances of the Big Muff or the Butler Tube Driver, it's of course possible to use either the real pedal (in Loop or in front of the KPA) or to use EQs to shape the existing stomp models in the KPA to reach the desired sounds. (Of course you can also profile the amp / stomp box combination - if you have them ready.) However, this asks for a very different approach to what a guitarist is used to with other stomp models (like Guitar Rig - where you have a model that resembles the original stomp box as far as the knobs / adjustments are concerned). I guess that not many are likely to do this. I have been spending hours and hours to experiment with the EQs before and after the Muffin to get closer to what I expect a Big Muff to sound like.
    Further guess: The people at Kemper have the problem that there is this "promise" that future updates will be provided for free - so there's no way to earn money for the work they would have to put into modeling new stomp boxes. And the product as it is, is apparently attractive enough to please their customers.
    But what about third party products? Soundside, TAF and others create very good sounding profiles which increase the attractiveness of the KPA a lot. If a third party was able to create and offer stomp models that could be imported into the KPA, that would be a win-win situation. The KPA would be more atrractive even, third party small companies could get new customers and for the users, the whole process of reaching desired tones would be much easier (provided that you don't have the pedals / amps you need in combination to create tones you like). This could be a way leading into the future?

• " And the product as it is, is apparently attractive enough to please their customers.

The KPA would be more attractive even, "

interesting analysis:thumbup:

and may be a place for third party companies ... for our pleasure ;)

Hb :thumbup: