Just upgraded in 2.40. first try

• Hi,

My first feeling while browsing my IIC+ profiles is that it sounds very different. I mean (even with cab oparaleters set to zero), way more bassy, more dark, a tone more fat, tubey, thick, but with less treble.

The Petrucci pack I did is now for garbage, I have to restart from scratch.

I will try perhaps a hard reset...

Anyone faces this? The tone is great, but more bassy and dark...

EDIT - did a hard reset (Tuner+system) and everything seemed to work like before ;)

Will test it later now...

• Hi,

My first feeling while browsing my IIC+ profiles is that it sounds very different. I mean (even with cab oparaleters set to zero), way more bassy, more dark, a tone more fat, tubey, thick, but with less treble.

Will test it later now...

uhm....yammy!! I like darker sounds..........

anyways, the system reset in not adviceable after a firmware update. CK said that answering to a question of mine on this matter. he wrote the system reset only cured the thing twice and it was not the same issue we are speaking about.

I suggest you record with both FW. I did it with 2.10 when I went to 2.3.3. I recorded clips with the 2.0.1 and after updating similar clips. this way I could compare the differences with precision and not with psychology only. results: sound was identical.

I suggest you record while you are in 2.4 some clips. revert to 2.3.3 and record similar clips. update us on the results

take care

mic

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• I

will definitely do it next time this happens... Hope not to be obliged to do it ;)

• dje, when you said in your edit that everything seems to work like before, you mean before the update (which means no tone change from update) or before the system reset (which means 2.4 definitely alters the tone).

I haven't even had a chance to try your JP pack and it's possibly already out-dated :(

Thanks for your hard work - I have a backed up field day of joy waiting for me when I get to KPA'ing again.

• Whatever KPA authorities might say, there is and there was ,DEFINITELY change in tone after all important upgrades, which are bringing something really new.
    It happen drastically with 1.50 ( a famous aliasing shit) and now its happening with 2.4.0- bringing fantastic (new ) high and low cab parameters .
    (between 1.5 and 2.4 -lots of changes as well)
    I made almost 20 performance mode set ups (containing 100 rigs in details, for following gig setup list ) with 2.3.
    Now all of them are going to be erased .
    Simply because with 2.4 they are darker,much more middle fat and less air and presence.
    This might be good news for the guys with single coils/tiny sounding woods guitars but not for my Tom Anderson , mostly mahogany based guitars , since they are already fat, full and middle frequency sounding .

I am not telling this change is bad or good, I am telling there was and there is a change with every "master" update .

:thumbup:

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited once, last by Rescator ().

• Hi Rescator,

I suppose you did a hard reset ?

Meambobbo, when i say after hard reset all was like before, I mean the tone became very close to FW 2.3.3

After the cab parameters have changed the tones quite a bit. I spent on the JP pack time to come very close to the originals. Now the tone has changed quite a bit. I have to rework on the jp pack to get as close as before...

• I don't think you'll have to reprofile though, Djemass. The core tone is all there; since your profiles have some EQ going on from the get-go, it's just a question of doing some fine tuning.

I experimented a bit with your JP profile yesterday after doing the update to 2.40. I found that the controls are more responsive, rather than dumbed down. So what might have been a little earlier, is a lot now, though the scale is the same. Think in terms of gradients on the control. What the Kemper team has done is refined the controls, so they have more precision.

Got some excellent results lowering the bass on the profile, output always used to clip on my guitar and I had to turn down rig volume. But after I reduced those frequencies? Super-tight sound, super-refined tone, no boom, but plenty of low-end. Didn't mess with anything else, but I'm now using profile Boogie Mark IIC+ JP2 as my go-to.

• Hey Djemass,
    No , I haven't done hard reset .
    What do you consider as "hard reset" ?
    Tnx !

• Our support has received comparison clips - from the OP, I guess.
    And yes, there is a noticable sound difference, that guided us to a flaw in the latest firmware.
    The bass responce of several profiles is too loud. I was able to find the cause and fix it.
    Thanks for this hint. We will release a new firmware soon.

A good moment to talk about sound changes in firmwares again.
    There has probably been no firmware without hints from users that the sound has changed. The descriptions of the perceived effects are very colorful.
    We even had a thread with 800+ posts about sound changes in the firmware.

The facts: This is a digital device. On analog devices you can get subtile sound changes by wearing of components. This cannot happen in a digital device. We have no motivation to change or "improve" the sound. If an error happen, it is obvious like the actual one. It can be proven by comparison clips.

To those that state that the sound has changed over and over: Every sound change needs work from us to change the software in a subtile way. Why should we spend our precious time and change the sound in purpose?
    Be more critical about your own perception and check twice, if you have doubts. If I gave you the same firmware again but told you the second had a different sound, how many of you would notice that the sound has NOT changed?

• Thank you Christoph for reaction!
    I am curious if you Kemper do implement any automated sound checks/testbenches before the firmware is released for beta testing?
    I mean comparison of frequency response & other characteristics between last stable version and the new one.
    I can imagine to run such tests on a selected list of profiles overnight, just to find out in the morning, if there is any change in sound which could be caused by not intended changes in firmware or bugs.

• Hi CK,
    That's very good and logic explanation , thanks!
    I will stop tweaking 2.4 and wait for the new release.
    Fantastic care for your customers is second to none !
    (maybe this is the reason why someone of us becomes spoiled :whistling: )
    Cheers,
    Zoran
    ps
    new cab parameters are amazing,very intelligent move!

• I had a huge problem on one tweaked profile. I had an EQ in slot 4 with only the Volume raised +4.9, all frequency settings were at 0.0

Turning the Guitar and Kemper volume down didn't stop red-line clipping at all until near 1-2 on the knobs. But turning the EQ volume down to +1.7 stopped all clipping. So I could tell from just this profile something was different.

Since reading this, I remember yesterday de-selecting some "Favourites" as they didn't sound as good as I remember, so maybe that's due to this "bug". I still have them in the Kemper and assigned to MIDI, so when the fix comes out, I'll have to re-evaluate their "Favourite" status.

It begs the questions: Why does the EQ volume differ from the regular Kemper Volume knob, or your guitar Volume knob? Does the EQ create volume boost by mostly increasing the lower frequencies? Cause if so, that may be why that profile was redline clipping so much.