Factory Reset?

• Hi guys,

Just got my Kemper yesterday and so far I am in love. However, I bought it used and I think most of the profiles have been tweaked to the previous user's setup (which seems to give a much darker muddy tone when compared to the new profiles i've added, which sound great with no tweaking).

I'm therefore considering doing a factory reset but wondered if I could save a 'snapshot' of the current amp settings/profiles incase I want to revert back to how it is now. Is that possible?

Cheers!

Johnny.

• 1. Do a backup and make a copy of it.
    2. Do a system reset by switching on the unit holding the system key.
    3. rename the suffix of the backup to .tar
    4. Decompress.
    5. delete all the rigs in the rigs folder
    6. re- compress the content of the whole backup folder again, not the folder itself. Make sure not to zip it but make a .tar archive of it.
    7. rename suffix to .kpabackup
    8. Put this backup back on USB and restore this backup.
    9. You should have no rigs now. Restore the factory rigs (system menu).

• Thanks so much for your help! Sorry if i'm being an idiot but i'm not the most tech-wavy and still a bit confused!

I changed the file name to .tar (it was "2014-05-01 14-27-54 - Matt e.kpabackup" and I changed this to "2014-05-01 14-27-54 - Matt e.tar". Is that correct?)

I then tried to 'decompress' that .tar file but can only see the option to compress it. Any idea why that would be? (I'm in a mac btw if that makes a difference).

Also, I can't see any 'rig' folder at the moment. Where should that be?

Alternatively, can I not just do a factory reset now that I have the "2014-05-01 14-27-54 - Matt e.kpabackup" saved on my computer, and backup from this if I wish to revert to the current settings?

• Thanks so much for your help! Sorry if i'm being an idiot but i'm not the most tech-wavy and still a bit confused!

I changed the file name to .tar (it was "2014-05-01 14-27-54 - Matt e.kpabackup" and I changed this to "2014-05-01 14-27-54 - Matt e.tar". Is that correct?)

I then tried to 'decompress' that .tar file but can only see the option to compress it. Any idea why that would be? (I'm in a mac btw if that makes a difference).

I'm on a Mac as well. What happens if you double click the .tar?
    Then you should see a folder for rigs, cabs, etc.

Also, I can't see any 'rig' folder at the moment. Where should that be?

Alternatively, can I not just do a factory reset now that I have the "2014-05-01 14-27-54 - Matt e.kpabackup" saved on my computer, and backup from this if I wish to revert to the current settings?

You could do this, but you would have to erase all the rigs manually on the profiler and afterwards restore the factory content.

• I tried this yesterday and just realized that rather than decompress the backup, I just used the 7Zip GUI to directly modify the folders in the compressed file. The KPA took the rig-less backup without issue. Ingolf, any particular reason to decompress first and then re-compress?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

• I tried this yesterday and just realized that rather than decompress the backup, I just used the 7Zip GUI to directly modify the folders in the compressed file. The KPA took the rig-less backup without issue. Ingolf, any particular reason to decompress first and then re-compress?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

I'm on Mac so it's a bit different here. No 7Zip... :)

• Thanks Ingolf, I found the rigs folder after double clicking on the .tar file! (Does that mean I have decompressed it?)

When you say "re- compress the content of the whole backup folder again, not the folder itself." Do I highlight all the contents of the .tar folder and click compress?

I'm still confused as to why I would have to alternatively delete all the rigs manually on the KPA before doing a factory reset as surely the whole point of that is that it would wipe everything that is already stored on it?

Also, if I want to add back a few of my favourite profiles from the existing rigs after I have reset it is that easy to do? (I'm guessing I just drop them back in the shared folder?)

Again apologies for the computer illiteracy, really appreciate the help though!

• I've got an additional question as my kemper sounds really fizzy and harsh playing distorted sounds what it definitely didn't do before (and no - it's not clipping in the in- or output [unfortunately]):
    can i downgrade the firmware from BETA 2.4X to the very first factory preset? I haven't found that function so far. All i can do is delete all the rigs, reset the flash etc. but not start from real scratch as the firmware stays the same... Any help?
    By the way - in the maintenance section the memory test doesn't reply.... If there isn't a real factory reset i'll send the unit right to Kemper for a checkup...
    thanks in advance!

• I've got an additional question as my kemper sounds really fizzy and harsh playing distorted sounds what it definitely didn't do before (and no - it's not clipping in the in- or output [unfortunately]):
    can i downgrade the firmware from BETA 2.4X to the very first factory preset? I haven't found that function so far. All i can do is delete all the rigs, reset the flash etc. but not start from real scratch as the firmware stays the same... Any help?
    By the way - in the maintenance section the memory test doesn't reply.... If there isn't a real factory reset i'll send the unit right to Kemper for a checkup...
    thanks in advance!

Welcome Burnout!
    I don't think going back to a previous firmware would help with your issue.
    Instead of fishing in dark waters you better open a support ticket instead to investigate this systematically!