How will the recent Kemper 2.4 update affect existing factory and commercial profiles ?

• NEW: 2.4.0 Public Beta available
    we just released 2.4.0 Public Beta with the following features:
    Audio
    - changed: Cab parameters are more authentic and do not influence direct profiles nor CabDriver anymore.

I wondering how will the recent 2.4 update affect existing factory and commercial profiles ? Ive seen some folks mention they are going to have to retweek profiles that have created due to the change in cab parameters.

How can I tell which rigs in my current factory installed and forum downloaded profiles need to be "fixed"? ?(

• All Soundside profiles are raw profiles not "rigs".

So the great sound comes from the profile itself - not from amp/cab parameters, EQ blocks or effects.

C.Kemper claimed that these will sound the same in all future Kemper updates.

In case other free or commercial profiles depend on advanced amp/cab parameters or additional effects - these profiles may sound (very) different after a firmware update.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Thanks Armin. As a newbie Ive been primarily using rigs. Thanks for clarifying the differentiation between profiles and rigs.

I would speculate then that most of the 300+- rigs that came installed (and download) on the Kemper are going to be affected.

Any hints on how I can correct the affects of 2.4 on rigs?

• Thanks Armin. As a newbie Ive been primarily using rigs. Thanks for clarifying the differentiation between profiles and rigs.

I would speculate then that most of the 300+- rigs that came installed (and download) on the Kemper are going to be affected.

Any hints on how I can correct the affects of 2.4 on rigs?

How are you speculating, exactly?..

I remember very few, if any, cab sections that had their low and high shift parameters changed.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Pardon my faulty speculation. :S
    Thats good news and just what I wanted to know.

Don't get me wrong - i'm not sure myself. I've been browsing a lot of rigs lately (cataloging) and this is just what i recall.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Profile ='what we get after profiling - without any changes

Rig (or as I call it modification) = Profile + amp,cab,Tone stack changes + effects

The first is "save" - the second can be changed in the future.

2.4 affects only cab parameters.

btw. I love the new (changed) cab parameters a lot.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• Thanks. I am clear on the difference. What Im not clear on is how to know when this new development is "adversely" affecting rigs created before 2.4 AND how to correct them. :D

• I tested the new CAB controls and compared the two release and this latest one is a BIG improvement on those parameters. Thanks Kemper Team!!! :thumbup:
    I found moving the new parameters more "clarity" respect to before, preservation of the amp attack and a more "soft" modification to the CAB itself and more tonal balance even with high values on the parameters.

The only little drowback is that if you tweaked some old profiles using great variation of those CAB parameters and you want to maintein exactly the same sound of before, you have to check them once again now and to re-tweak to your taste since the sound is now changed. Fortunately a lot of us (inlcuding me) touched very rarely these Cab parameters and, if so, just a little bit variation from the neutral position (mainly because they were not very usable before with wider ranges).
    And, anyway, for my personal check, on those particular cases, I found often an improvement on the final sound without touching nothing ;)

• Yes, I never used the cab parameters before 2.4 - sounded like via a telephone for my ears.

Now in 2.4 it worked great to make some adjustments I really love.

• I am still confuse. Does this mean cabs for rigs we already have sound more real with this update? Or we can make them sound more better now if we modify with the new paramater for cabs?

• I am still confuse. Does this mean cabs for rigs we already have sound more real with this update?

No. This is not the '120% more real' syndrome.

Or we can make them sound more better now if we modify with the new paramater for cabs?

Kemper feel that the modification parameters for the cabs have been optimized, nothing more, nothing less.

• No. This is not the '120% more real' syndrome.

The 'more real' thing was my initial understanding when I read the description of the 2.4 update. I think (correct me if not) the update would correct comment i read that KPA loses some low end response. This is a good step IMHO.

• I never touched CAB parameters before. And haven't noticed most profiles I've had with those tweaked either.

I didn't read "more Authentic" to mean "More Real to the Amp" in the basic Profile, but as in the parameters tweak more realistically and less lo-fi effect. It was this lo-fi effect before that made most people ignore it unless you like your amps to sound like you're hearing them through a 1970's telephone.

The way I look at it is: More Flexibility in Carving Your Sound should you want to play with it.

If you want more "bottom end" to a profile, I think what people are trying to do is put back what a Microphone filters away, or else they are trying to put back what you can't hear, meaning subsonic frequencies you feel with an amp, but don't with most monitors and certainly not with headphones.

Those who use just an SM57 will see a drop off under 200 Hz and almost nothing under 40 Hz. Which is why I double Mic using a TLM 103 which drops off around 90-100 Hz and falls off to -10 dB at 20Hz which most people can't hear anyways.

So losing that 100-200 range for an SM57 I suspect is what some try and EQ back, but for me, the loss of subsonic feel of air compression pushing my chest in the room is handled with a Sub Monitor.

• Since I have few guitars , very different ones, I used cab high/low shift on all of my rigs, to accommodate those discrepancies.
    First, I tweak only amp (profile) then cab, and only then I am tweaking EQ's and effects.

If I cannot make a good sound without EQ's and pedals, that profile is going to digital garbage .

Usually , I done it by adding cab lows for YJM Fender alder body/ extremely low output single pups , or adding highs and slightly decreasing lows and increasing cab character for Tom Anderson Mahogany/ extremely full , mellow and strong humbucker guitars.

Now, with 2.4 , my YJM Fender sounds good and full with cab parameters on zero , and Anderson's sound really bad ass on zero as well.
    Nothing wrong with that, except I have to re-tweak ALL of my rigs , since they DO NOT sound the same , at all.
    Because changing cab parameter(s) for just 0.1 , change everything in all rig , so I'll rather do that from the scratch.
    Good opportunity to cut down number of rigs and get rid out of garbage rigs.

Funny enough , my amp cab -Mesa 2X12 (played through hand wired amp) , which I use as a monitor -changed it sound sound as well !? Even cab monitor is ticked off .I had to decrease "depth" and increase presence on amp, and to go -0.8 on the KPA monitor EQ for the bass, and -0.5 for the mids .
    So , I would say not only cab functions has been modified, but everything has been modified in 2.4.0 .

Again, nothing wrong with that, I see better sound potential and little bit of (un ?) necessary tweaking ,especially with commercial profiles .

All in all , CK changed the sound of KPA in good direction, without touching (? or touching) core profile sound .

Very intelligent move, to change a sound by changing cab output, bravo Maestro :thumbup: !

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

Edited 3 times, last by Rescator ().

• Hi guys.

I noticed a change in the sound (have a profile of my own amp) when upgrading to firmware 2.4.0. To me it sounded more dark but I thought I was hallucinating
    Then I went to this forum and found more people experienced the same thing meaning I couldn't have imagined the thing. I decided to do a quick test to see if it was true. I recorded a short 2-second clip with my Line 6 back track (to ensure the playing was identical) and played that clip through with the different firmwares.
    This is the order of the 4 clips

1. My existing 2.3.3 upgraded to 2.4.0
    2. Downgraded to 2.3.3 and did a hard reset (tuner+top left button above the LCD) and imported only the one rig
    3. Upgraded to 2.4.0 plus a hard reset followed by a complete restore of all rigs and settings
    4. Hard reset af the 2.4.0 and imported one rig only

What's your impressions?
    Link to soundcloud

I also noticed a small volume change between the takes that I can't explain.

Rgs John