Recording Kemper

• Hi guys,

My Kemper's sounding great through my combo power amp/speaker and not bad through my cheap PA either, but I did a quick recording test today to see how it sounded through the monitor out into garageband and was not very impressed with the tone, seems to sound like just another cheap amp sim plugin. (Grainy and artificial).

I was going from the monitor out of the Kemper into an apogee duet and then recording on a dry track in garageband, (listening through Alesis monitors).

Here's a little sample I made to demonstrate the tone i'm getting using a Friedman BE profile.

Kemper Recording Test

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong or is that just as good as it gets? :/

• Thanks guys, i'll try both!

Londonjeepster - do you mean run two cables from the left and right outputs into the two inputs of the apogee and pan left and right? wouldn't that just be the same signal and therefore sound the same?

• I should add that I came from an Axe FX Ultra and was never impressed with the direct sounds I got. But right out of the box, I was very impressed with the Kemper going from the Direct Out into my Focusrite Saffire and out to the my KRK Rokit 5s. Even through headphones I thought it sounded light years ahead of anything else I tried.

• Hi cudbucket, just tried the direct out but it only gives me the clean guitar signal. Is it meant to be something else?
    I then just tried another test running through my combo and using two mics to record it live (panning l+r) which is can hear below:

Kemper Test 2

It's not perfect but obviously sounds much better the previous where I was going directly into the apogee from the kemper. (both clips were using the same profile).

Is there a way I can get a sound closer to the second clip without having to mic everything up? That was the main reason I bought the kemper!

• Londonjeepster - do you mean run two cables from the left and right outputs into the two inputs of the apogee and pan left and right? wouldn't that just be the same signal and therefore sound the same?

yes 2 cables and pan it in garageband,doesnt need to be a wide pan for lead but it will give a bigger sound and give the reverb you are using a bit of space to work in. and then double or quad track for big rhythm guitars panned much wider if thats the sort of sound you are after. thats the way i like to do it but there are many different methods,lots of people prefer mono guitar tracks for example.

• Thanks paults,

The monitor output section shows 'Master mono' with '0' on all the EQs and the 'Monitor Cab Off' is not ticked.

But interestingly, I've just seen the 'Main Output EQs' are set to Bass: -4.0 Middle: -3.0 Treble: -3.0 Presence: -3.1
    Should I maybe change those back to zero?

• Thanks paults,

The monitor output section shows 'Master mono' with '0' on all the EQs and the 'Monitor Cab Off' is not ticked.

But interestingly, I've just seen the 'Main Output EQs' are set to Bass: -4.0 Middle: -3.0 Treble: -3.0 Presence: -3.1
    Should I maybe change those back to zero?

I would, unless you made these main out EQ changes intentionally.

• Tried everything and still seem to be getting the same sound. It's not awful but it's nowhere near my live sound out of my combo speaker (still sounds more digital and processed).

I'm thinking it might be my monitors but should they give the most accurate representation of the true sound since they are flat response?

Has anyone got any direct out recordings they are happy with that I could get the same profile for and compare?

Thanks again!

• Hi mate, there is nothing wrong with your gear, the Apogee Duet is a stellar interface.

Your Alesis monitors are more then capable of representing the KPA tones.

Listening to your clips, the difference just seems to be room ambience caught by your mic and your cab colour/EQ.

Try recording your guitar a little wet and see if you like the results better. Once your satisfied then record dry and add ambience in the mix.

Here's a YouTube clip recorded wet using the line in on a $90 Tascam IM2 to a Ipad recorded wet with KPA effects.

http://youtu.be/NWRdqEn0cAU

New talent management advice to Laura Cox -

“Laura want to break the internet? let’s shoot another video of you covering the Nightrain solo in the blue singlet, but this time we’ll crank up the air conditioning”.

• Hi to all,

it's time to refresh the thread. I've got the same problem. Have you figured out what was the cause of the creepy digital sound running your kemper through your interface and monitors?

I've tried to connect KPA to left and right out direct to my monitors (without interface), the sound is just the same quality, as good as through the active speaker/cab, better than in your second sample. But connection to interface seems to destroy it... The sound is crispy, flat and digital as in your first soundcloud try.

Room ambience have it seems nothing to do with that if the same monitors could sound much better with the interface off I guess...

Adam 7x, RME Fireface UCX

Any ideas?